A Star-spangled strat copy and a Squier CV50s Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Jul 2, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I discussed back in January my giving Strats another try. Back in 2008, when buying my first ever electric guitar (yeah, late bloomer here), I was thinking Strats but found I did not get along well with the controls. Once I played a Tele, I knew. Then, eleven years later, I thought maybe I should give them another try. I did some test driving back in January, but didn't pull the trigger.

Then late this morning, as I was getting ready for a gig, I saw a 4th of July deal on the Facebook page of a local shop, Clawson's Music. Among other things, they had a used strat copy with the body finished in the American flag, for $80!
    07-02-2019 - Star-spangled strat copy at Clawson's.jpg
    I haven't thought about a Strat in months, but I've got a 4th of July gig, and I thought it would be a kick to pick this up for that gig. I figured if the guitar was even halfway playable, it'd worth $80. So I went straight there after my gig, but I'd missed it. A school teacher had already snapped it up. :(

As I was reminiscing with Bubba Clawson about being in his store in January, test driving some Strats, including a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat, he reached up and pulled one down. Bubba turned it over in his hands, muttered to himself about it being in the store a while. It was new old stock, I guess. He then tried to entice me with a deal: $250.
    [​IMG]

But I had a pretty good reason for walking out without that CV50. Since I just bought a new Logan Custom tele, I figured I could get by telling the wife I bought a star-spangled strat copy for 80 bucks, but a Strat for $250? I figured the best I could hope for is an eye roll or two, with the potential reaction being much worse. Or that's what I told Bubba Clawson, anyway.

But an NOS Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat in Fiesta Red for $250! Sounds like a good deal to me. I've searched online, and this particular model in this particular color appears to be discontinued. I've seen prices ranging from $315 to $350 used, and NOS at $400. So, yeah, $250 sounds like a good deal to me.

But then I am still in the ranks of the uninitiated. I've played around with Strats, but still don't own one. Is this a good entry level Strat? Is $250 a good deal?

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

$250 is a smoking deal. I always wonder about guitars that sit around long enough to get a discount that big. Maybe it just doesn’t have “that thing”.

Then again, if you play it and like it, then it does have “that thing”. I’d say snag it it quick if you bond with it. Then ask if you can have that price tag for $80. You’ll know what to do with it.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

So, you're going to show your Independence Day spirit by openly breaking Flag Code?

Blrfl likes this.
  4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

$250 is a great deal on a CV50. I bought two, when they marked them down to $329.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OldDude2, LGOberean and richiek65 like this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Love Wayne Kramers (MC5) guitar

archetype likes this.
  6. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Technically you are only spending $170 because in your head the $80 was already gone. I justify a lot of stuff this way. The bailiffs are coming Monday.

7. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You and me both, Larry, but I understand the allure. Last week I found my own $80 strat copy, and since I have a pair of humbucker-sized P90 that I like, I'm going to rewire the strat with 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way switch. It will never replace my Logan tele as #1, but I'll have another tonal palette to play with.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. LGOberean

If only my wife thought that way, that CV50 Strat would already be mine!

Yeah, even after I settled on the Tele, and then got my first Logan Custom, I still understood the allure of a Strat. And there are so many great players doing such amazing things with them, I just periodically think I should give it another try.

But truthfully, if I were to really commit to it, I'd get a Logan Custom strat. Maybe that Candy Apple Red one on Bob's site. :D But I don't want to drop a grand on a strat if I don't end up bonding with it, that's why I was ready to do an impulse buy for just four Jacksons, and am still kinda tempted at $250. I wouldn't want to spend more than that on an experiment.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    djh22 likes this.
  9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I never understand this non strat thing. For the price you can buy a great guitar fro these days, why wouldn't you have that Strat sound in your arsenal?

Nothing beats that Hendrix or SRV type sound when your in the mood for it.

For $250.00 i say this, you are CRAZY not too... :)

(Yes, long time enabler).

edit to say, why get a Custom or expensive one if your not sure you will play it much. Many, many lesser priced amazing Strats around that will do the job.

Is it for playing or looking at (or even showing off?) :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Mr Scallywag likes this.
  10. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

This video is proves the bolded part exactly, and is a great example of why any guitar nowadays is worthy of consideration. The smile on Ron Thorn's face at the end when he is playing that Strat is just like we would have playing one of his Custom Shops.

11. LGOberean

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've already explained myself on this matter in this particular thread. To reiterate, I was far from a non-Strat mindset 11 years ago when I was looking to buy my first ever electric guitar. A Strat was what I wanted. A friend loaned me one of his for a couple of weeks, and in that time I truly wanted to like it.

It wasn't the tones I couldn't bond with; it was the controls. My right hand kept bumping the selector switch; I was accidentally changing pickup selections. And the Volume knob almost flush up against the bridge pickup was problematic for me. When playing back toward the bridge, I'd instinctively want to anchor my pinky to the top of the guitar like I do on an acoustic. My pinky kept landing on the Volume control. Then I played my first Tele and the position of the control plate posed none of those problems for me.

I do admit that it's the $250 price tag that's tempting me. But then, I think I may be crazy because I'm tempted. I mean, after all, a beautiful new guitar custom made for me was delivered to me just 6 days ago, and I've hardly touched any of my other 11 guitars since. So why the heck am I thinking about another guitar?!? :rolleyes::oops:

As for why get a "custom or expensive" guitar, that sounded a little judgmental. Perhaps that wasn't your intent. But your statements tell me you don't know Logan Customs. I'm spoiled to getting the specs I want, and the high quality players guitars that Bob Logan (a TDPRI member, BTW) makes. Logan Customs are made in America, specifically, in Bob's shop in Delafield, Wisconsin. And though Logan Customs are not priced like a Chinese import, they're not expensive, either.

Take my latest, for example, my "Firecaster II," the second tele style that Bob has made for me from lumber I salvaged from our house fire in 2010. I sent him the lumber, which of course is not a wood choice available to everyone. But aside from that, you could order the same features I did: chambered body core, veneers top & back, vintage split shaft tuners, DiMarzio Twang King pickups, Bob Logan's stainless steel bridge plate with a straight alignment bridge pickup, 4-way switch. You know what mine tallied up to? You know what that would run you, delivered to your door in a gig bag inside the cardboard shipping box? $1,088.

Here's what that looks like for this happy Logan Custom customer...
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 3.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 4.jpg 06-20-2019 - Firecaster II - 5.jpg

I readily admit that I do my fair share of just looking at my Logans. And many times, looking inevitably leads to picking it up and playing it some more, even if I just put it down. And I freely admit I like showing off my Logan Customs. Not going to apologize for that. But it does all come back to playing, and I have played and gigged with all seven of my Logan Customs. I play one or more of my Logans every single day.

And as I said in my earlier reply to djh22, Bob does make strat types, too. If I were to play a Strat enough to know that I could indeed bond with one and gig with it (whether that means doing a lot of test-driving Strats, borrowing one or buying the CV50), I would most likely have Bob make me a strat, or buy one that he has available for sale. Here's one, for example, taken from Bob's web site...
    2018 Logan Custom Strat, Candy Apple Red (2).jpg

djh22 likes this.
  12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

No judgement here. Like I said, Im an enabler :)

However, to explain more of what I mean when I say "I dont understand this".

Think about this .....How long did it take for you to train your fretting hand to make chord shapes? Barre chords etc.....It took me ages.

Now apply that to your right hand, why couldn't it just take a bit of practice and training (like you did for your fretting hand) to get muscle memory to not hit the switch etc.?

I dunno about you but I live my life with the belief that if someone else can something, with enough practice I can likely do it too. The strat is arguably the most popular guitar type.....plenty of people adapt to play it. So I am pretty sure you can too. :)

Re the Custom guitar thing. All power to you and your Logan collection and endorsement.

You took the wrong angle.

To explain.

I have friends who want to do many things, car racing, sailing, guitar playing, woodworking, buying a sports car etc.

Many never start becasue they already have the ultimate/end game item as the dream......Gibson Les Paul, BMW M3, 45 foot yacht and so on.

To me the item has become more important than the actual doing and experience of doing.....an MX5 (Miata to USA TDPRI'ers) makes a great entry level sports car. An Ibanez, Dean, Cort or whatever make a great LP style (sounding) guitar.

So they never actually "DO" because they never get to the point where they can afford to get the object of their desire.....the object is more important than the actual doing.

A freind of mine started building his race car when I did (the same type car). I started with low expectations and a desire to get racing, he started with a minimum spec in his head. it HAD to be 500 HP. 5 years later I have been racing for 4 years and am knocking on the door of 500 hp through natural development. He has just listed his unfinshed project because he is sick of the cost and time commitment without any payback.

I dont say the above to show off, just to try and portray what I mean by saying buy a cheaper one and get playing! (and use to the strat right hand position) :).

That is if the sound and desire to own a good strat is the ONLY goal, which is what your first post came across as.

All good

13. LGOberean

Okay, good points for discussion.

I don't quite buy into the "if someone else can do it, so can I" philosophy, but it serves as a general principle. That's part of what I was referring to when I said "there are so many great players doing such amazing things with them, I just periodically think I should give it another try."

In January of 2008, when I borrowed my friend's Strat, I was not only new to Strats, I was new to electric guitar. I had been playing acoustic guitars for 40+ years to that point, and on occasion I played other people's electric guitars, but I had never owned one of my own. Now, 11 years later, I've had a lot of time to develop playing techniques specific to electrics, and I'm wondering if I might have an easier time of it with a Strat. There is no question in my mind that I could adapt, to some degree at least, but I still question whether it's really worth it for me in the long run.

Since I buy guitars from Bob Logan, I could order a mash up of different features from both styles. I could order a strat body style with just 1-Volume, 1-Tone, and have the controls moved so that the Volume knob isn't right up against the bridge pickup. And I could opt for a hard tail rather than a trem bridge. I could even do a tele style with 3 pickups and a 5-way switch. I've thought about that, but I tend to think that if I customize a lot to make things feel and function more like a tele, what's the point of getting a strat?

And BTW, one of my Logan Custom teles does have a 5-way switch, but with two pickups. It's the Bill Lawrence Keystone tele pickups with his 5-way wiring scheme: position #1, neck with less bass ("neck lite," I call it); #2, half out of phase, which is what I use now to approximate "Strat quack"; #3, bridge; #4, both in parallel; #5, neck. So not specifically Strat pickup selections/tones.

So, as you can see, I'm undecided, and I'm sure that to some degree I'm overthinking this, suffering from the paralysis of analysis. As for using a CV50s Strat as my "gateway" to a Logan Custom strat, it isn't because I must have expensive. As I said, I don't consider Bob's guitars expensive. I have seven of his guitars, my son has one, my son-in-law has one. So I know Bob Logan's work, and I trust him. And over the years, the relationship has grown to one of friendship, not just custom builder/customer. So I'm just loyal to Bob.

And then there's the fact that I have a dozen guitars total, so this Strat thing isn't about need. If I really focus on this "get to playing" advice, I should just shut up and get to playing the guitars I have.

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Ha, shouldn't we all!

Re the first quote, it's definitely a "general principle"....Im pretty sure I would struggle with bain surgery and Astro Physics no matter how much practice I get :)

For me the Strat thing is about the sound and the style the body/layout (switch positons etc.) edges you toward playing. Pretty much the things you mentioned changing.

Different perspectives is all.

Im not so sure I mean the CV is gateway as such, more a cheap (but good way) to scratch the itch. I also find that if I get too expensive in a "dont need it but want it" manner. I end up selling it on because it ends up not being justified having too much money in something I barely use. OR never getting it in the first place.

If I go cheaper (but good) I tend to keep it and enjoy it for what it is. My squire 70's jazz bass is a good example. Used rarely and if it was a Fender USA one (which really is the ultimate desire) it wouldn't stay for those reasons.

Chicago Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.