a special treat for the amp inclined fathers... DR.Z

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 24 track, Jun 21, 2020.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have been given the pleasure to look at a DR.Z Cure amp ,
    the customers complaint was a ticking noise when the amp was on
    so after dismantalinh the amp I found a burnt 1.2 K 5% resisiter across V1 , should be an easy repair

so I thought I would share what the inside of this boutique , hand built point to point wired piece of art looks like , I wish every amp was made to this spec.

enjoy

P1012419.JPG P1012421.JPG P1012423.JPG

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I don’t know much about amps but that sure does look like a nice clean layout

FenderLover, 24 track and richiek65 like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Doc Z's are amazing amps, and Doc Z himself often answered the phone when you called.

I gigged with a MAZ 38 1x12 for years; never had to turn it up past 5. It was a beast!

KW1977, Paul G., Fiesta Red and 3 others like this.
  4. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Probably much nicer to work on/diagnose/repair than a PCB (or a daggum SMT).

Was the amp’s schematic readily available to you?

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

no , I opened it up and imediately saw the charred resister , the amp worked with no issues , and a quick change of the 1.2K resister and it will be all fixed ,I have an amp spec book that covers Dr Z amps in great detail so it was easy to follow .

the attention to detail is outstanding!, no clutter and lots of room to work. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Treehouse likes this.
  6. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

That looks amazing. Work of art isn’t a description I would normally associate with the innards of an amp but it definitely fits in this instance. Have you had any experience with the Skyking amps?

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

no I havent had the pleasure yet , but I will check them out!

8. 24 track

before i start any job ,I research out any info about the construction I can gleen , to keep the repatr consistent to the build
    I came across this video for solder technique ( pertinent to the DR Z repair ) and probably why these amps rock!

if it helps , enjoy

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interestingly, I'm seeing no twisting of heater wires... is that right?

That Cal Webway and 24 track like this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Top photo clearly shows twisted red and black heater wires.....I like the way he leaves some slack in the wires; the slight 's' bends. That is a mil spec wiring practice .....very good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Treehouse, 24 track and DrPepper like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I had the opportunity to speak to the good Doctor himself while researching attenuators.

I called the number, expecting to get voicemail or some lackey. The person who answered was polite, answered my questions (all of which revealed my extreme ignorance of attenuators), and have me a couple of good recommendations, including one that was not a Dr. Z-branded unit.

At the end of the call, he asked me my name and where I was calling from—he was curious about my strong Texas drawl...after answering him, I thanked him and asked his name, and—lo and behold—it was Dr. Z himself!

I expressed my surprise that he answered the phone, and he joked, “How else would I answer your questions?”

BTW, I bought the Dr. Z’s Brake Lite for my 63-reissue Vibroverb, and (boy howdy!) it works exactly as he described, and I’m extremely satisfied.

If I were ever in the market for a boutique amp (probably not likely), based on the conversation and my satisfaction with the Brake Lite, a Dr. Z amp would definitely be in the running.

12. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

What’s the difference between a PTP amp and a turret/eyelet board amp?

24 track likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They are twisted, just not hipster twisted...

14. DrPepper

PTP - resistors/capacitors are directly connected to origin/destination, turret/eyelet board - resistors/capacitors mounted to board with solder connection points with "fly"leads connected which go to origin destination.

24 track and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  15. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

That’s correct.
    Just wondering why OP Was calling a turret build a PTP.

24 track likes this.
  16. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I gigged a 2x12 verson of the MAZ 38. It was a great amp and ridiculously loud if you wanted it to be. Cooling fan, great reverb, usable master volume. Never opened it up, never had to.

You need the wires to be parallel, and although a tight twist is popular now, plenty of very quiet amps have a loose twist, or no twist at all, just cable ties. Every Dr Z I've ever played has been whisper quiet.

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

just my bad!, I got called for dinner just as I posted and threw that in! ( spectacular dinner I might add )

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  18. PCollen

The short answer: Basically its just semantics these days. In days of old, point to point meant no circuit/turret board whatsoever. Ends of components were soldered directly to the ends of others, or to terminal strips, pot lugs, and other "points", which now are connected to each other by a wire from one to the other.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  19. PCollen

Mike Z. makes his own turret boards and , as you can see, many are not very complex and his cabinet "real estate" typically allows for a rather large turret board. I've owned both his MAZ -18 NR and Rt. 66 amp heads.

Here is a pic of the guts of an amp I re-purposed (temporarily) as a project a few years ago: a Marshall JTM50 clone which I turned into a Komet 60 (which in turn is an adaptation of a Trainwreck Express). I used a turret board from Antique Electronics to build the circuit, including the bias circuit (far left) and the V1a/b end of the power rail a la Marshall (large cap center). As you can see, a little more "busy" than the Dr. Z amp shown above, and more compact. The V1a Rk on far right is only temporarily solder-tacked in place as I was testing different values. 20200622_120943.jpg

24 track and Treehouse like this.
  20. DrPepper

Was that dinner lunch or supper?

Kevin Wolfe and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.