A Song That Made You Want a Mandolin

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been learning mostly fiddle tunes and they lay really well on the mandolin in a way they don't on a guitar. A lot of notes that would be fretted on a guitar are open on the mandolin, and those open notes are often part of the effect.

It's a weird instrument, always kind of out of tune in a way that seems appealing and plaintive

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I've been learning mostly fiddle tunes and they lay really well on the mandolin in a way they don't on a guitar. A lot of notes that would be fretted on a guitar are open on the mandolin, and those open notes are often part of the effect.
I've played a number of the standard fiddle tunes on guitar and mandolin, and some I only play on one or the other.

There are a handful of tunes in D that I learned originally on the mandolin. When I figured them out on the guitar I wasn't really paying attention and figured them out in C. Not a big deal to use a capo. There are certain phrases that are really fun for the fingers in C, I haven't bothered to try to figure out why.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
As the title says, post a song that made you want a mandolin.
Mine is from Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, a local band that I really got into this summer. The solo from this song got me wanting to buy a mandolin. I probably shouldn't do it, since I ought to keep my efforts focused on guitar.

Mandolin Wind - Rod Stewart

Dr_Peckr

TDPRI Member
The Battle of Evermore. Hauntingly beautiful tune (especially the Sandy Denny vocals) and as a young Tolkien nerd + Zep Mega-Fan it immediately became one of my favorite songs and was directly responsible for my first mandolin purchase back in '86.

Mandocaster68

Tele-Meister
Mandolin is my primary instrument and I'm very glad to see so many dabbling in the world of eight strings! I picked up a mandolin simply because there was one available, and four courses of strings seemed a whole lot easier to manage than six. No one song did it for me, but rather a desire to join in a music making community.

It is exciting to see mandolin family instruments getting a little more of the spotlight these days, and a business community that has found it profitable to make these instruments in increasing numbers and varieties at all price points!

Mandocaster68

Tele-Meister
Thile is a freak show, don't be too hard on yourself, lol.

As you can tell from my quote below, I'm a fan. I believe that Thile is a modern master musician, both in compositional ability and pure technical skill. Quite possibly, and in all seriousness, the greatest mandolin player we have ever seen.

He is a source of tremendous wonder and admiration for me. And he makes me want to burn all my instruments. One of my standard jokes it to arrive at a gig and tell my bandmates that I simply cannot play today. Why??? Because I heard Thile on the radio coming over and decided to just give it all up. :)

fishermike

Tele-Meister
As you can tell from my quote below, I'm a fan. I believe that Thile is a modern master musician, both in compositional ability and pure technical skill. Quite possibly, and in all seriousness, the greatest mandolin player we have ever seen.

He is a source of tremendous wonder and admiration for me. And he makes me want to burn all my instruments. One of my standard jokes it to arrive at a gig and tell my bandmates that I simply cannot play today. Why??? Because I heard Thile on the radio coming over and decided to just give it all up. :)

The quote in your signature is pretty much how I came to mandolin. Just listening to as much different stuff as I could. Had the opportunity to see Chris in a small venue, solo, and was a bit apprehensive about two hours of just a guy and a mandolin. Had my eyes (and ears) opened, in a huge way.

Funny thing is, I had just seen Tommy Emmanuel live in the same venue a few months before. I almost put Thile on a higher level, if that's even possible, both as a virtuoso and as a performer.

Of course, once you go down the Thile rabbit hole, pretty soon you find yourself listening to stuff that makes you want to play banjo, too. :eek: I tell people that I'm trying to drive down local real estate prices...