1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A song so good, u remember where u were the first time u heard it?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Danb541, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

One of mine:
    In the mid 70's, around age 6 or 7, listening to my Moms Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced album through headphones. Third Stone From the Sun...."you'll never hear surf music again"...:)

It came full circle in around 1990 when I saw SRV close a concert in Portland, OR with it. Amazing.

Silent Otto, dkmw and matrix like this.
  2. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Funny, was just thinking about this yesterday

-Stevie Ray's version of Little Wing. Remember everything about hearing it for the first time.
    -John Coltrane's version of "My Favourite Things". Pulled over the car about 2 minutes in and just listened.
    -Arcadi Volodos, the whole Piano Transcriptions album. Just knocked me flat. They played the whole thing on the radio; I was driving cross-country and the duration of the trip the album played for is engraved in my memory. Probably my most-listened to album of classical music to this day.

Danb541 likes this.
  3. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sultans of Swing, in my dorm room Spring semester, freshman year.

4. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

There is only one song I can vividly remember the first time I heard it. A Saturday, mid-November 1971, facing south looking out of the windows of The Candyman record shop on Water Street in Santa Fe, NM. Led Zeppelin IV had just been released and they were playing "Stairway to Heaven". The song later became something of a joke due to massive overplay but hearing it (and the rest of IV) was a moving experience for an 18 year old kid. Whenever I go back to Santa Fe I stand at the same spot and try to recapture the moment. Sadly can't be done.

thunderbyrd and Danb541 like this.
  5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yesterday - back seat riding in my parents car. Also the appearance of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Hard to describe the feeling.

Danb541 likes this.
  6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Reading this, I can vividly recall hearing this on the radio while travelling down the M1 motorway (UK) in a Transit van. It was a real WOW moment for me, but wasted on my fellow travelers. This was way before it was a hit, it took a while to 'grow' so the band were pretty unknown at the time.

Thanks for triggering that memory :cool:

7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

B.O.B. by Outkast on local radio 20 years ago. It's kind of a cheat since I was already anxiously awaiting its release, but I literally had to pull my car over to take it all in. The DJ played it back to back (I'm in Atlanta where Outkast were already local legends) and it just blew me away a second time. B.O.B. was released 20 years ago and still sounds like it comes from 50 years in the future.

8. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yeah, it was for me as well. It wasn't even (or just) the lead riffs; the overall sound/groove was just so fresh.

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

“Won’t Get Fooled Again”, spring of ‘83. I was 14 years old driving in my uncle’s car coming back from his softball game. I played the “Who’s Next” album to death that summer.

“Say What!” By SRV, fall of ‘85, driving home from high school (possibly after jazz band rehearsal). I pretty sure that I bought the album that week.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was a freshman at UT in 1978 when I first heard Sultans.
    I was 21, I dawdled taking the SAT.
    I digress.
    I was driving my truck home after my last class when I heard it on the radio.
    Because the DJ didn’t say the name of the artist, Dire Straits, I made a now silly assumption.
    I thought, “Wow, Dylan sure hired a great guitar player!”
    It was all over the radio, so I found out it wasn’t Dylan pretty quickly.
    Though I was never a rabid fan, I greatly admire Mr. Knopfler.
    Great tune!

duncan64 and aging_rocker like this.
  11. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Another one for me is Riders on the Storm, the Doors. Driving to Salem, OR from Eugene on I-5 in my Dad's Chevy van.. I was grade school age. "his brain is squirming like a toad"...that one stuck with me. It was also a rainy and day. It was the perfect song for that moment. I still love that song.

elihu and Coloradotwanger like this.
  12. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

SRV's cover of Voodoo Chile, driving north in the Sepulveda Pass. Went straight to Tower Records (remember them?) to get the album.

Danb541 likes this.
  13. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got a bunch of these, but a couple stand out. Both were with the same high school friend who was always up on the latest good stuff. Both were also at ridiculous volume cuz that’s how we rolled back then.

The live Sweet Jane with the long intro. I knew the song, but my friend didn’t ID it for me when he dropped the needle. I listened to that whole soaring intro, then broke into a wide grin at the first appearance of the main riff.

Six or seven years later, my friend is very excited and says “you’ve got to hear this”. Again, no clue as to what he’s going to play. We’re in his car this time, massive car stereo.
    Clampdown roared to life and that’s how I first heard any of London Calling (which is a desert island album for me).

Greggorios, Fuelish and Fearnot like this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I heard this on Philly's WXPN and then sat in my car (through a bunch of forgettable songs) waiting for the DJ to identify the artist and song name. Then I drove right to the record store.

Rustbucket and Coloradotwanger like this.
  15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

It was just after my father died, I was 8 at the time. He didn’t let us kids touch he’s LPs. Took that pirate Beatles Alpha Omega vol 2. ”My sweet lord” was stuck in my head ever since.

Danb541 and brookdalebill like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I always liked Fresh Air by Quicksilver Messenger Service.
    I first heard it on my transistor radio walking home from school in 1970.
    I love the melody, slightly overwrought vocals, and the smart, memorable, and succinct guitar solos by John Cippolina.
    It was a crisp fall day, and every time I hear it, I’m 13 again.

Greggorios, elihu and Danb541 like this.
  17. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Junior is something to see live for sure!

Telecastoff1 and Danb541 like this.
  18. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the whole feel of the thing was very different, hard to imagine now because it's so well known. I remember having to order in this obscure album from my local record shop (remember those?), it was quite hard to find.

I think the first album was out for about 6 months or something before the 'Sultans...' single gained any real traction. I may be wrong, I was busy destroying brain cells with a vengeance back then...

Danb541 likes this.
  19. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Crimson and Clover ( Joan Jett version ) - gym class 1981.

Greggorios and TheOtherNeill like this.
  20. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

Blue Bayou- Roy Orbison
    When I first learning about early rock, I was in my garage and immediately turned it up and put it on repeat for the rest of the night.

Greggorios and elihu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.