A small poll on WRHB options

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wooderson, Jan 6, 2018.

WRHBs under $400

1. Creamery Classic '71

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Telenator T3 CuNiFe / AlNiCo

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Novak

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Lollar

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Mojo UK

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Mojotone

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Catswhisker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Brandonwound

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Planning a project build for the first half of the year - a thinline '72 Deluxe w/ Strat headstock, possibly in candy tangerine, rosewood board.

Reading all the threads on WRHB copies, there's not a lot of consensus, aside from all of the options being at least pretty good. I couldn't find where anyone had run a poll on them.

I may end up going all in for Telenator CuNiFe pickups but I'm starting out looking at the sub-$400 set options for now (Telenator T3 @ $400 and SD Custom Shop @ $340 are the most expensive). Curious what everyone would choose if you were buying new pickups for a build (rather than having existing ones modded).

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I wound my own using short Jazzmaster A5 rods, Tele bridge flatwork, modified stock baseplates and stock covers. Add 1 meg pots, .022 caps and you are good to go! Underwinding the neck pup is highly recommended.
    Rob

3. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I like Barncasters idea. I think for 400 one could build their own pickup shop!

bender66 likes this.
  4. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I had the Mojotones in my 72 Tele. They sounded great, but I ended up selling that guitar.

5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I believe telenator has stopped building pickups. But then you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. :)

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Ah, thanks, the website is still live, I didn't see the thread about them shutting down.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I voted it would just be a popularity contest as I haven't heard many of them. I didn't realize so many had a version of a WRHB.

I have a body blank I was thinking of a Deluxe or Custom T style build.

Out of all the builders, was telenator the only one using cuNife?

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Unless I missed something, Telenator, the business was supposed to close their doors Dec 31. I hope that’s not the case, but that was the plan.

9. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

I only have experience with the Novak ones but I can say that they do sound authentic to the originals that I’ve played.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I can't help you with opinions, but you might get more responses if you also post this over on our "Just Pickups" forum. Nothing wrong with posting it two places.

Cheers,
    Rex

12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nash puts Lollar Regals in their WRHB models. If there is a dealer close take one for a spin. I’ve played Lollar Regals and Creamery both superb. Search WRHB this forum. The information is endless.

Sadly telenator is done

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yes. There's a lot of hot air blowing through the industry about pickup makers building "true vintage spec WRHBs." The fact is, they're using different wire, different magnets, different wind specs, different spec bobbins. I love the way people toss around the term "True Vintage Spec" when nothing could be further from the truth.
    In the time we were making WRHBs, the only area we strayed from vintage spec was that we had our bobbins individually machined from Delrin, a superior plastic to the injection molded nylon Fender used. But still, all of our parts were directly interchangeable with the Fender vintage pickups. It doesn't get any more "true vintage spec" than that. There are a lot of really good WRHB repros out there now, but True Vintage Spec? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha!

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just had a brief discussion on another forum with a member entertaining the idea of a rewind with a winder. I was of the mind why bother if it's not to vintage spec. You're just purchasing a pricey humbucker with its own thing happening.

Thanks for replying Telenator. I always daydreamed of a set from you.

15. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Presumably not all of those vintage specs are critically important to the result ? For example, if I was making a WRHB replacement, there would be some things that have to be right, and others which don't matter as much if at all ?

16. Telenator

Of course. First and foremost is that the pickup sound great! I don't really care how anyone achieves that. It's not important. But there are many who claim "true vintage spec" and other such nonsense that just isn't true. And some perspective customers unfortunately are swayed by these claims, and repeat them when the question of adherence to vintage specs comes up. Does it make a difference? To some, it's a very important thing. To others it isn't. There is no single right answer to the question. It only becomes an issue if someone is making a claim that stretches the facts a bit too far.

17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

I have the Brandonwound WRHBs on my Telecaster Deluxe and they sound great. Hot pickups which are quite versatile but really great for rock and roll.

By the way, if anyone is looking to experiment by making their own wide range humbuckers :), I'm selling some Alnico 2 threaded magnets on Reverb.com (was thinking about doing my own mods before getting the Brandonwounds).

18. Telenator

Are you sure those are alnico? There is a lot of threaded FeCrCo magnets being past off as alnico or said to be just like alnico. It's not.

19. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Hi Telenator,

The magnets were sold to me as Alnico #2. The threaded magnet polepieces themselves were manufactured by Sensmag (a Chinese company):

http://www.sensmag.com/

The box is labelled " MATL: 2# " which isn't very informative but suggests Alnico #2. Having said that, there is a chance they may be FeCrCo as Sensmag does sell FeCrCo magnet products.

My listing (with pictures) from Reverb is here:

https://reverb.com/item/9685516-wide-range-humbucker-alnico-threaded-magnets

If they don't sell soon, I'll keep them and try making my own WRHB-style humbuckers when I have some time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.