1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A small dent i know but it bothers me ..

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Neil62, Oct 19, 2020.

1. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

You might want to put a tiny drop of superglue in it. Not enough to fill the dent. Let it dry. If you think you can add another drop without it making a lump that's proud of the surface, do that. The only reason to do this would be to keep the finish from cracking. There's not a good way to fix it that won't show just as much or worse than the original dent.

Danb541 and Greggorios like this.
  2. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That guitar is gorgeous.

Play the hell out of it and chalk the ding up as just one of the scars we all accumulate during a life well lived.

3. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Eventually there will be a second ding and then you can truly stop thinking about it.

I get guitars in the shop occasionally with that kind of ding and there's very little to be done that a repair won't - arguably- make worse.

Things that get used, get dinged.

4. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have used clear nail polish or nail hardener for such dings. Apply a TINY drop with a toothpick - DON'T use the handy brush! Repeat as necessary, but avoid overfilling the divot. When you are done you will have a ding that looks like it was filled with nail polish. That may assuage your anguish.

5. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Jesus, If worried about and repaired every dent, ding or scratch on my guitars...I wouldn't have any time to actually play them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue and cbnutt like this.
  6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

And be careful if you attempt an amateur repair/fill job yourself without knowing what you're doing. I think it's along the lines of when someone covers up a and tattoo...with an even larger bad tattoo! If you're that worried about it and losing sleep at night, shell out what it costs to have a professional do it right. Don't be a cheapskate.

Unless you're someone who worries more about resale value, who cares about the ding? Just play it!

Just wait until the matching headstock paint starts chipping around the edges!

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

My 3 year old son put a little ding, just like the OP's damage, in my brand new Clapton Strat that I had scrimped and saved spare pennies for, when he bumped it with his little trike.

I still notice it everytime I pick the guitar up. My son's 37 now with a 3 year old of his own. I'm hoping that in time I'll learn to ignore the ding.

Can you see it too?
    20180216_152847.jpg

Edit: yes of course you're all too busy looking for the ding to have looked at my mathematical and historical error. The EC Signature Strat came out in 1988 when my son was 5. I bought mine in 1990 so he must have been 7 and definitely of an age to take responsibility. So I've only been fretting about the damage for 30 years. Early days yet...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    AAT65 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

having a bunch of 20 year old guitars, i don't even bat an eye at surface dings anymore. it happens. but going down to bare wood, that still always hurts. consider yourself lucky!

JDawg0427 and cbnutt like this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably not. But that's a fine-looking Strat.

Very soon after I got my "lifer" acoustic, my daughter got a new puppy. He jumped up to greet me, and put about a 5" scratch right down the top. He's 12 now. I was pretty bummed. I still see the scratch, but no one else has ever mentioned it.

I'll bet there are lots of "first ding" stories on TDPRI. My favorite tele was just finished, and I took it to school. I moved the amp it was plugged in to, and the guitar came off the table I'd set it on. It hit the floor hard, and a piece of wood came out of the body. I searched the room, never found the piece, so the ding is still there. I was lucky that was all the damage.

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

the first one is always the deepest!

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I did a similar thing with my second most expensive guitar just weeks after buying it. It hurts, but it did allow me to play the snot out of it and years later it is still the only ding. I'll never forget about it, but it gave me license to play it as it should be played ... with abandon.

12. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

The first thing that I do when I bring home a guitar is put a little ding in a place were it might typically get one anyway. No more worry about the next one.

I lied.That is not true. But a motorcycle builder that I know says that he puts a small scratch on every new custom paint job that he does.

DrBGood likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 the damp cotton cloth and clothes iron. The water in the cloth protects the surface from scorching as long as you hear sizzling. The heat will expand the wood back out unless wood fibers have been split. Let it dry for half a day or a full day and then put a few drops of superglue on the remaining ding and the fractured finish to stabilize it. If you use the 'Thin CA' type it will wick under any surrounding finish that may not have cracked from the impact but lifted.

You'll hear a lot of nervous nellies about using steam and glue ... yet the above works. If you are worried, find a test spot under the pickguard or in the control cavity to work on first.

If you leave the ding as-is the fractured finish will flake out of the hole and if anything around it was loose that can chip and flake off later too.

If nothing else ... use the CA adhesive to stabilize the impact -- "stitch in time" and all that.

14. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

First of many dings

15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

If it really bothers you send it to me. I’ll watch it for you while you buy yourself a new one:D

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was intended to demonstrate how two beautiful things can change and still be beautiful.
    For me my marriage was such a deep and moving experience that due to my wife's emotional health issues ( personality disorder) left me incapable of ever trusting enough to ever take a chance of ever experiencing that level of intense pain again though I have had friends that I have been very intimate with, part of me could never really let go, no matter how many times I go back on the horse.

17. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

please just leave it, trying to fix it will make it worse like me you will end up messing it up completely. drop fills are hard to do if anything buy a nitro little pot and fill it with that and buff but still it's so not worth it. of all guitars i think tele's look good with dings i have plenty and i just don't care anymore it's going to happen and the more you try to make it not happen the more likely it will happen. every day i look in the mirror i'm sure i see a new wrinkle and at first it bothered the hell out of me saying goodbye to youth but, it just takes too much energy to care.

tintag27 likes this.
  18. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

i remember i had this guitar (my favorite at the time) re-finished in nitro and after 4 years gigging with it there was no paint left on the back! i did ware a studded belt at the time... fullcock.jpg

19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I always just fill it in with some nail polish that's the same color

20. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan TDPRI Member

Is it a Case Queen or a player?

Did Jimi, Eric, Stevie, Eddie, Jeff, et al lose sleep over the odd scratch or mark?

Weazel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.