1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A small dent i know but it bothers me ..

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Neil62, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Neil62

Neil62 TDPRI Member

Ok i have here a limited edition ice blue tele with matching headstock ..it is one guitar i wanted to keep perfect ..that is until i dropped a plastic tablet box on to it ..is there any way i could possibly fix this ...?[​IMG] [​IMG]

Terrygh1949 and Greggorios like this.
  2. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Dents can sometimes be fixed by using a damp cloth and an iron. Just place the damp cloth over the dent and stick the iron on it, the steam should 'expand' the dented wood.

3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

The iron/cloth technique might work, but it looks like the finish is cracked, and if you expand the wood underneath, it might flake off.

Sorry about your guitar! It sucks to get that first ding.

hexwrench and LAPlayer like this.
  4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

If you want to keep something perfect, don't use it. Otherwise, suck it up!

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One can do a fill job on that dent. It will never completely disappear, but it can be made better and will never chip out and be made worse. The slow method would be with clear lacquer. The quick method would be done with ‘super glue’. If you are not good working this type of finish repair, find yourself a good instrument or furniture refinished.
    Fwiw, the steam method to sweat out the dent would require removing the metallic blue finish...and then you are faced with a big refin job. The sweat method is good only if the wood is already exposed, ime....or if the color is simpler to work than is a metallic finish.

6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I find most fixes look worse than the ding on poly. I’d give it some time to see if you forget it’s there... I normally do even though it hurts when they’re fresh!

Billy3, ben smith, EsquireBoy and 4 others like this.
  7. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

The only thing I would do is stabilize it and move on. That will keep the paint from flaking more. You could go to a specialty paint store and have them make you some touch-up paint. That will just change the appearance of the ding, not "repair" it.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the beginning of an authentic relic job. Wait a few years and see what else shows up. It happens no matter how hard you try to prevent it. I’m sorry it bothers you. It used to bother me until I realized I can’t do anything about it.

AAT65, Jim622 and Greggorios like this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I think you should fix it 2 weeks from now.

If you still give a crap about it 2 weeks from now, I'd be amazed.

Prince1999, tintag27, AAT65 and 9 others like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I know you value you instrument, and it's so pretty .
    First open the hard shell case take the guitar out,
    play la la la lalala lahhh,
    put the guitar directly back in the case and close it , always. between sets at practice alway
    remember there's a dent, scratch, broken headstock, out there with your guitars name on it, lurking like the famous snipers of WW2, laying in wait waiting for an opening, The first dent is an offering to the godz that gave us music and joy and everything that right in the world.

827673729b00fb2a75288d31fea38fba.jpg

Billy3, Prince1999, davegodby and 5 others like this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

This. Unless you are skilled, or have a skilled repair person, the result will be worse than the ding. Everyone thinks they can do this drop-fill fix, which is in fact totally straightforward, but most people lack the care and patience to do it right and end up with a ding plus a hack repair, which looks worse. Metallic finishes make zero sense for a guitar that gets played a lot because they wear weirdly and, as you have seen, show scratches and dings in a major way. Personally, I'd just let it go. I don't like dings either, but no played guitar makes it too far without looking used.

Lake Placid Blue and hemingway like this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"That ding has allowed you to love the guitar for its inner self."

-tiller2

Obsessed, cravenmonket and Greggorios like this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been there and sympathize with you but I'm with the "stabilize it and live with it, trying to make it look like it didn't happen could make it worse" idea. Worrying about the small stuff just wastes too much valuable energy. Besides I've learned to love flawed beauty way beyond perfection. Just enjoy your instrument no matter what you do.;)
    (PS, lovin' that ice blue metallic!)

14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A couple years from now you'll be telling some heartbroken owner of a newly-dinged beauty, "The first one's the worst one."

I'm sorry about the ding. I would like to see a picture of that whole guitar. I'll bet it's still beautiful.

15. Neil62

Neil62 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

LOVELY!

17. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nothing to do with this thread, just wanted to say I dig your blue stain Tele there, funny I am building one exactly in the same style....cool!

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  18. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Looks great - I can't even see it from here!!

P Thought and Chuckster like this.
  19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Unless you never take it off its case, a guitar will always get dinged. And even then, the finish will age into the case, sometimes in a not so beautiful manner if it never leaves it.

I’m pretty sure you’ll forget about that in a couple of weeks. Or at least won’t really care anymore.
    Your guitar still looks pristine, it’s a really small ding. It’s actually so small that it could still be a new guitar to be sold with only a small discount as a floor model.

41144, cbnutt and Greggorios like this.
  20. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

That is absolutely stunning, it would be perfect if not for the small ding on the back!

LOL, just joking! Law #1 of the Guitar Gods is that "Dings Must And Will Occur".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.