1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A small but dandy grill....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Apr 8, 2021.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

ABCC0F03-9208-4B54-9A49-D67739FBFAED.jpeg I have the same grill on my little porch. My son built me a home when I retired and put a gas line out to the porch of my kitchen and put my lil Weber on it. Great grill.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

winner!

studio1087 likes this.
  3. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Actually, the Q series is a smaller single burner that can be portable or set up as an everyday grill with the optional stand. My son has one with a stand that he brings along when we go tailgating.

studio1087 likes this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use a Lodge hibachi for small stuff, then a 21" Weber kettle...and then the Primo Oval XL ceramic for smoking.

4th of July 2019, I had 'em all lit up. Hot dogs on the hibachi, burgers on the Weber and spatchcock chickens on the Primo. Like conducting an orchestra...

5. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

My old, old friend! A Father's Day gift from my kids way too many years ago.

IMG_3640.jpg

nojazzhere, studio1087 and Oxidao like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Oz we have outdoor kitchens wth fridges, sinks , bench space - open air like many Asian kitchens. Useful if you have a vegan in the family, but mostly to not hat up the house in our LLOONNGGG summers.

7. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

How’s that pizza oven work? Been thinking of getting one. Does it get really hot?

studio1087 likes this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I took the cover of my Weber the other day. The grill was covered in mold.
    I have to rehab it responsibly. Fire it up for 20 minutes or so.
    Put on mask, gloves, protective eye wear and clean the grates, etc. Fire it up again. What a pain.

studio1087 likes this.
  9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

It's marvelous. It's an upside down pyramid and it sits directly on the firepot, funneling all the heat upwards. So rimming my grill at about 250 the stone can easily get to 600 degrees. You can run it even hotter but I try to stick to between 600 and 700 degrees because I don't like the crust burning while the cheese is melting. But running it at 350 you can easily get the stone to 800 degrees. The purpose of cooking a pizza so hot and fast is to try to get a nice outer crunch on the cust without drying it out in the middle. So my crusts have that nice crunch but they're still really chewy.

It takes some practice getting good with everything but I've thrown a ton of pizza parties since getting it in 2017. It's funny, every time I invite a new person they have the same reaction, they're expecting a couple home made Pizzas that's aren't very good, at least not as good as a restaurant pizza, and then I blast them with 12 Pizzas, lots of toppings and I dish them out over about 90 minutes. The reaction is always this pizza is way better than I was expecting! The pizza oven is half of it, good ingredients and crust is the other half of course. Don't buy regular grocery store cheese. It'll come out a dull gray color because it's just not very good quality. I get mine from Sam's club in a 5 lb bag. Sounds like a lot, but it's pretty cheap around here at least. It's creamier, melts easier, and it's more of a restaurant quality.

If you do get one hit me up and I'll share my secrets! Crust recipe, what all you'll need to get started cooking the best Pizzas you've ever made.

20200729_190305.jpg 20200729_191141.jpg

10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'm a little disappointed with mine, I'm 5 years in and I've had to replace all the guts, and a month after I deep clean it I need to clean it again. I've also found that the burners don't like to go below 350 at the lowest setting (I can always shut one off), and there are some things i like to cook low and slow. I was thinking I'll have to go to the Genesis next time.

studio1087 likes this.
  11. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Congrats. The Spirit is the perfect size for everyday grilling. It is only lacking if you are having a big cookout or something.

I just put my 20 year old Weber Genesis Spirit out by the curb last night. Still works fine, but my neighbor gave me their 7 year old Weber Genesis because it needed new burners. I offered to fix it for them, but they wanted to buy a new one. I replaced the burners, ignitor, and flavorizer bars, and it is good as new.

I am also happy to report that my old grill was gone this morning, so somebody picked it up before it got trashed. Hopefully, someone can get another 10 years out of it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Frisco 57 and studio1087 like this.
  12. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

This is my Napoleon Mirage 605. It’s about 15 yrs old and still works great. When I bought it I was also looking at the Weber Spirit but at that time, the Spirit’s burners ran from side to side like the ones on Frisco 57’s unit. Unfortunately this setup wasn’t conducive to indirect cooking so i ended up with the Napoleon as I like to slow cook roasts, ribs and turkey all indirectly.
    Note: I stopped using a cover on mine as I found that the cover would retain moisture and condensation and result in premature rusting of the lower grade stainless steel parts 09910F94-F166-483C-B5CF-97FFC8776A0A.jpeg

studio1087 likes this.
  13. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I don't understand the "no propane" argument. While I will agree that charcoal tastes better, there is no way anyone would go through the trouble to grill a couple of hot dogs on a charcoal grill for a quick lunch. The comparison in most cases isn't charcoal vs propane, it is propane vs microwave.

14. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

I cook on a 22"plow disk i made in 1993, it works for me. :)

studio1087 likes this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have been using the same cover for three or four years. What are you doing to yours?

studio1087 likes this.
  16. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

While I enjoyed my Weber kettle for many years, I just could never justify the price premium for their gas grills. Your grill looks very similar to my Kenmore that I have used for more than 10 years. I think the current list price is around $270.

studio1087 likes this.
  17. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I’m definitely getting one. I need to make a small mod to fit my Traeger. Been dragging feet until I heard from someone who actually has one.

studio1087 likes this.
  18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Can you get that thing to fit in a traeger? I'd like to see what you have to do to make it work.

studio1087 likes this.
  19. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I agree. For the past 6+ years I have done 90% of my grilling/smoking on a Big Green Egg XL. But the remaining 10% is done on a little Weber Q 1000 propane camping grill that I keep outside the kitchen door.

While I prefer lump charcoal, when one of my kids wants a burger or dog when the rest of us are having something else, the Weber is invaluable.

studio1087 likes this.
  20. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

I love grilled Stratocaster

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.