1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A single bridge pup....

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FortyEight, Oct 2, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I should be doing this in the pup thread or the strat thread but because I did this test on my Tele I was wanting to hear what you guys say.

Plus a lot of you squier guys are tinkerers, so.....

Here goes.

I did a test yesterday. I tried to listen to how much difference there was between my neck pup with no tone dialed in, and then my bridge pup with a bunch of tone dialed in. And I'll be honest, I was not finding the sound ALL that much different. At least on my guitar. I keep hearing about guys that know how to use a Les Paul Jr for all kinds of sounds and I'm like waaaaaa?

I used to not like the bridge pup that much. Back in the 90's when I played in bands a lot I barely every used it. Maybe for a screaming solo, which I didn't do much of. I was typically playing rhythm parts and singing. But one thing I never did much of was use the tone knob back then. LOL. So I would always just use the neck and middle cuz I liked the warmness of the neck. And I THINK I felt like any time I used the tone knob it would lose some sustain or headroom or flow... maybe.

But now in my older days I've been trying to use the tone knob more and have gotten good tones out of my starcaster (yes the bridge has the tone knob hooked to it) and my tele more with the bridge.

So... I think I want to work on a pickguard for my Squier strat to have on bridge pup.

The dilemma is, humbucker, P-90 or single coil. That I have no clue what I should do....

And where do you get a pickguard that would work for this.

I like things simple. Even the pup selectors are starting to bother me when I graze them when they are in the forward position. So having just a tone and volume knob would be nice. I need to eventually do the control plate swap on my tele but it needs to be completely rewired to do that. I don't think the wires are long enough.

So... if you have a strat or tele with just a bridge pup, I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts on it. What pup, how do you like it, etc. I do like the sound of a tele bridge pup now. But I feel like I might want to try something else on the Squier Strat since I have a Tele now.

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

matty428 likes this.
  2. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Not a strat or Tele, but I do have two single pickup guitars:

Favorite is my Gordon Smith GS-1 with a bridge humbucker with a coil split that is probably the guitar I pick up most. When playing it, I certainly don’t miss the neck; by playing with the volume, tone, the coil split and where and how I play it is possible to go from warm and plummy to almost a wide open Tele bridge sound.

The other is my home brew LPJ copy with the trad bridge P90. That is tuned open D and used for slide. There you can go from almost acoustic tones (volume low; tone backed off) right up to a punky roar...

Which tones do I prefer? Difficult to say as both sound great. I don’t find either guitar particularly limited tone wise.

If I had to pick one it’d be the GS but that is likely because it a great guitar. The LPJ was my first ever build and it has issues rather than anything to with tone.

If it’s any help, I’m building a baritone at present - that was originally planned to have a single bridge humbucker with a split coil option - like the GS (though due to scope creep in the project it’ll now have a neck pickup - don’t ask!)

willholt92 likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Juniors and Esquires are fun guitars. Go on ebay and find the pickup sets that are around $15/pair and order. On Amazon or ebay you can find $10 pre-cut Strat pickguards with various pickup cut outs including just a single bridge humbucker.

This is one of those pickups, I have one in a Tele. Now I did dismantle the pickups and convert them to 4-wire so I could control both pickups independently. The Tele has a 4-way switch so I get a 'neck' side that with a little tone control I can fake a neck pickup. This one has the screw poles rotated to the inside for a darker more P90 kind of tone when I use the push/pull pot to split the pickup.

[​IMG]

This video of Phil X convinced me to search out a Junior.

This is a third 'Junior' I have .... it's my 80's Relic, "you'll poke your eye out with that!", parts guitar.
    No switching, just a volume knob straight to the jack.

[​IMG]

KyAnne, willholt92 and FortyEight like this.
  4. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I know we have talked about this on my tele thread.

My only single pup guitar (and a personal favourite) is my '84 Gordon Smith GS1.
    This came with the humbucker and coil tapped as standard but I've been through a couple different pickups including an Alnico 2 Humbucker and now currently I have a custom wound Filtertron which is AWESOME.

If I were you I'd buy a pickguard with a Humbucker cut out, that way you can fit any humbucker but also HB size P90's and Filtertrons.

I LOVE the filtertron as it is more jangly/spanky, similar to a Tele bridge but with more power like a HB. And there's a reason Malcolm Young has the BEST rhythm tone. Single filtertron in the bridge, no non sense.

Plus they look badass too.

IMG_7900.JPG IMG_7904.JPG

5. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

also had a gordon smith GS1 in the 80s fantastic guitar .i love single pickup guitars like esquires/lp juniors i also have a danelectro convertable with 1 pup which i use a lot.yes you can get loads of sounds out of 1 pickup and if you miss the sound of a neck pup do what i do and treat yourself to a nice tele or two.

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Yeah, I have a tele so that could be covered. I think I'm gonna do this. It did dawn on me last night that a person could wire 2 pups without having a switch with the 3 knobs.... volume volume tone for both. That could work too.

Hmmmmm..... what to do. I really need to do this though. The middle pup just messes me up sometimes. I used this guitar to record on the next song we're working on and it worked but there were times the middle pup affected me... I just don't like hitting it. LOL. I know someone told me I'm doing it wrong and should change my picking but that's just where it's most natural to me to pick. Right over that middle pup. Every once in a while I will pick inbetween the neck and middle but it's not often.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.