1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Sincere Inquiry About A Certain Song

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bill Sheehan, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

It seems that the song "We Built This City" tends to be generally despised (at least that's the impression I get), and I have to be honest, I never understood why. I really liked it when it first came out years ago. I heard it on the radio the other day, and rather than change the station, my immediate response was to crank it up! It always seems to get me moving. So, I sincerely ask, why the hate for this tune? Am I missing something?

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Didn't we do this last week? Or the week before.

koen, Bill Sheehan and Manual Slim like this.
  3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

It’s kind of a crummy cheese fest and a good example of a band from another time trying to stay stylistically relevant so it was bound to rub some people the wrong way. When something becomes a unit of cultural currency instead of just a song it’s harder to get rid of.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C TDPRI Member

Everyone's taste is different. I never liked the tune, but it does have a hook that stays with you...

Doctorx33 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It's commercial junk crafted to work on MTV in the mid 80's. It is a predecessor of today's commercial pop, written to appeal to a wide demographic but with little substance, lyrically or musically.

Obsessed, JRapp, SRHmusic and 5 others like this.
  6. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Hahahahahaha! Probably so! I should've checked before stirring up a re-hash!
    [EDIT: Yup, there's a bunch! Sorry!]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    carpenter likes this.
  7. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

If you loved the Airplane and had to see them doing that.........painful

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I always thought Cheech and Chong should have done a version about Tijuana.

"We Built This City On Tuck And Roll"

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

If one likes a song or doesn't like it, so what? There is no accounting for taste. Rock critic opinions? Internet opinions? Do they make you change your mind about a song you like or dislike? So what?

Rowdyman, carpenter, tintag27 and 5 others like this.
  10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Ultimately, songs are written for the masses and if the listeners like them, they've done their job. The artistes and record companies aren't concerned about what other musicians think of them; they're in it for the money. And why not...

Edit: Alnico beat me to it. :)

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I don't recall another thread on this topic.

But I DO love that song.
    Mickey Thomas and Grace Slick killed on the vocals, that much is true.

And the production was top-notch.

I personally think it got a lot of hate because:

* It took jabs at the recording industry and record executives

* MTV played it a lot, perhaps over-playing it, to the point of nausea

and,
    * It was very popular

'Popular' breeds contempt.

Just ask the New England Patriots, McDonald's, Chevrolet, and Budweiser about that.
    :oops:

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't leave out Gibson.

Sparky2 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's reviled by me because the writers made a booboo.

The line "Marconi plays the mamba" implies snake-handling religion. A mamba is a snake.

I think they intended "mambo" (dance) but it was too late; the band had already staggered back onto the bus and done a few bumps of nosecandy by the time the producer realized there was a fatal typo, so the tune went out like it was.

I actually like the tune myself :cool:

14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I thought he was a fan of chewy candy. We have to get to the bottom of this.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  15. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I always found it a catchy tune - never had the need to play it

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  16. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

It's one of those cheesy vapid songs that is mostly remembered now because it epitomizes a point in time. It's like Mr Roboto by Styx or My Girl Wants To Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy. These songs are musical shorthand and a million movies have used them to makes statements about how dumb and greedy the 80s supposedly were.

Some people love to say how much they love it and others love to say how much they hate it because it's such a touchstone song and it screams 80s. The songs production is the most 80s thing ever. When I think of We Built This City Casey Kasem's voice and the countdown immediately pop into my head. It's also a very earnest and corny song which was a common thing in the 80s but went out of fashion in the early 90s and has never came back in quite the same way.

I think there are worse songs but I would never go out of my way to hear We Built This City and like I said it's a song that's become more than a song because of the nostalgia it invokes, good or bad depending on your POV.

JRapp and Bill Sheehan like this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always liked the airplane , Slick was a monster vocalist and fine looking as well ,

Image_0.png

I was never fond of the birth of hairbands genre, but to stay valid during that time some had to move with the flow , EG Edgar Winter and his Brother were far too talented to have got sucked into the glam rock personas , but did it anyways , same with the airplane/starship , so much history so much talent and finally sucomming to the glitz of the day.Just tyo stay valid. how many bands sported mullet hairdos and wife beater tee shirts of the day ? or disco era stuff , its enough to make one appeciate the first Punk genre or New wave , these are just lables applied by the corporate sponsors of the day , commercial music started to suck when Nike and Coke started to sponsor bands and control the music industry ........my HO

Greggorios and Bill Sheehan like this.
  18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Yet you don't see such ire directed at Tango in the Night, a whole album full of corporate AOR.

Especially the Je t'aime moi non plus for the 80s, Big Love. "Ah" "uh" "ah" "uh" featuring Stevie Nicks on lead floaty dress swirling and Lindsay Buckingham on manly pouting.

domeafavour :rolleyes:

JRapp, Doctorx33 and Bill Sheehan like this.
  19. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Meister

Yeesh, I just read that Bernie Taupin had a hand in writing this mess.

Someone always playing corporation games
    Who cares, they're always changing corporation names
    We just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
    They call us irresponsible, write us off the page
    Marconi plays the mamba
    Listen to the radio
    Don't you remember?
    We built this city
    We built this city on rock an' roll

And as noted above, the mamba is a snake not to be confused with the dance mambo.
    There are much worse songs though in my opinion.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

As original Saturday Night Live writer Anne Beatts famously said, "You can only be avant-garde for so long, before you become garde." "We Built This City" was an example of a '60s and '70s band desperately trying to stay relevant in the 1980s and overreaching quite a bit, by embracing all of the technology that defined the era: the synths, the drum machines, the gated snare, the very processed production techniques. I didn't think it was that awful a song, at the time, but for many listeners, it's become the song that summed up what MTV-driven '80s pop/rock sounded like.

"We Built This City" was produced by Peter Wolf (No, not the former lead singer of the the J. Geils Band, the other guy) who used all of the same production techniques on records by Heart at during the mid-'80s, but somehow, they emerged slightly less tarnished after the decade was over, perhaps because the underlying songs were a bit better.

Greggorios and Bill Sheehan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.