A sensible solution in a time of great need.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, May 9, 2020.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

We had Italians working at our place during the summers. In six weeks, they'd drink enough espresso from a little machine to drain 1.5 of those huge blue jugs of water cooler filtered waters you roll in on a dolly. Burned out a $300 espresso machine every summer without exception.

It's no wonder the grills on Italy's autostradas have coffee machines that look like military hardware.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

We don't really have that kind of coffee in Europe, I think you call it drip or filter coffee? It just reminds me of American movies where the waitress offers a refill from a big glass jug in a roadside diner. Free refills also don't exist in Europe!

I have a small French press, it only makes one cup of if coffee at a time and honestly I don't think it tastes that much better than instant considering the extra work and clean up. And instant is pretty good these days.

nojazzhere and trev333 like this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you use boiling hot water, the Mr coffee should give you a better cup.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Keurigs are for convenience, not quality.

We mostly use a 6-cup Bodum French press...

[​IMG]
    But we also have 4 smaller ones for individual use. And we have a 14-cup Kitchen Aid, drip maker if we have a bunch of people for dinner. And a Bialetti, which is great for a moka-pot coffee, and a Nespresso.

But the key isn't the coffee maker, it's the coffee. We've been roasting our own (see www.sweetmarias.com ) for over 20 years and you just can't get a better cup of coffee. Next best would be to buy your beans fresh from a local roastery; fresh ground doesn't mean much if the beans were roasted a year ago.

Home roasting involves investing in a roaster (we have two that are over 15 years old) but green coffee is cheap at $6 or so a pound. There is a huge variety of it available and you get to learn the differences between say, East African, Central American, Indonesian, South American, etc. coffees.

I don't remember when we last bought coffee from a grocery store.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Melitta.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Three cheers for Mr Coffee!
    Always gets my day started right:D

7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hmm, my Keurig is over 13 years old and gets used daily. I only use distilled water in it and it is a heavier duty model than is currently made.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Morning coffee time is a special gift.
    Duncan Donuts from a plastic Mr. Coffee drip machine... and TDPRI.

9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Not a coffee drinker but congratulations on your new pot. Can I say “pot” here? *slinks off behind the sofa*

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I have had my Keurig 3 years now. I am just a 1 cup morning drinker, so its easy. I had to "unplug" the grinds up in the piercing needle twice in the past week.That seems routine with em. Filtered water also. Buy off-brand servings in bulk. And I keep SB's Pikes Place Roast at hand too!

11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We do simple and cheap except for quality beans. I discovered the Melitta #4 1977 in college. For dorm, home camping, the cabin and travel, it's been that way since. Splurges have included some quality bean grinders and a simple but still working for 16 years Cuisinart drip machine.

You can count me in the camp of not really liking those sealed plastic cup machines. For me taking a little time to make great coffee and food are very important and rewarding.

MisterZ, Nickfl and maxvintage like this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I hate everything about Keurig - the weak coffee, the crazy cost, the plastic waste. For $25 you can get an Aeropress. Little bit messier, takes a bit longer but the coffee is as good as coffee can get and all of the post-coffee waste (grounds and a tiny little piece of paper) goes straight into compost.

modavis99, Nickfl and maxvintage like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Tele-Meister

Put coffee in basket .
    Put water n back.
    Push button .
    Enjoy ;)

No plastic cup.
    No paper filter.
    Just good hot coffee ;)

I cook breakfast around here and the coffee is ready before I'm done cooking .

Now I want coffee ..lol

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

15A21B2B-1FAA-4321-A9B6-F07C328D3CFD.jpeg
    When I travel, I use a Bodum press. I highly recommend it. It’s a double-wall stainless tumbler, basically the vacuum bottle version of a travel mug with an integral press.

Ricky D. likes this.
  16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

We redid our kitchen about a decade ago and installed an instant hot water tap. It has a small insulated tank and keeps the water hot. It's great for coffee but also for any cooking that requires hot water. Like if you're making rice or soaking dried mushrooms. We use a one-cup paper cone filter.

Wake up, put coffee in filter, put filter thing on cup, add hot water. Makes great coffee. Compost the used filters

I really detest the "french press" style. You spend more time cleaning the damn thing than you do drinking coffee

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    bgmacaw likes this.
  17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna say right now that the Irish blew it with coffee. I've spent a lot of time in the ancestral homeland over the last couple years--fantastic country--but an "americano" just ain't cuttin' it. Drip is the way to go.

I had two weeks in an Air B+B in Dublin near Merrion Square and I kept trying to find a plastic paper cone 1-cup and no luck anywhere.

And in all our time in Ireland in Air B+Bs and rentals they had those damn french presses. Lousy coffee, terrible PITA to clean. Tell the people of Ireland to look west to the US, not east, for their coffee production methods!

:):)

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

We never felt a Keurig was hot enough to get good extraction. A good reference standard, is to use a French press (or use the ole Navy method), and evaluate other devices. My mom would periodically replace dripolators, and after asking why, she just said "they get to where they don't make good coffee". After experiencing the same thing, I determined in fact that the brew temp degrades over time, either thru scale build up, thermocouple degradation - something, but the water temp drops, and the coffee gets bitter as a result. We bought a new coffee maker every Christmas for years as a result.

BUT, this year, I splurged and bought a really good espresso maker, after learning a bit about a Café Americano, and we are both smitten. You get a really good extraction every time, and by adding hot water, you get a coffee-strength cup of coffee that can't be bettered. A good maker is not cheap though (about the same as a new telecaster). We are using a lot less coffee, by not throwing out partial pots. I think I'm saving on the order of a couple dollars a week, so if this maker lasts, and we don't buy a coffee maker every year, it will pay for itself in 3-4 years. So maybe not that extravagant.

Back to coffee makers, after sampling every type there is, and always checking against a good French press, I've decided the best coffee maker is a percolator, stove top or electric. I've got a 1960's electric that makes strong, smooth coffee. I also have a glass stove top percolator that makes the same strong smooth coffee when you get the temperature right, and remove from heat at the right time.

PS - back to the OP, I agree many coffee makers, even under $25 make great coffee - for a while. And, if you figure out what amount works for that maker. Don't try to make 4 cups in a 12 cup maker. They don't work that way.

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Moka pot for the win! Surprised more of us Blackguard worshippers don't say so. Pity Leo didn't make it in 1952 so we could all say he got it right first time

20. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget the grinder. You can't make good coffee with beans ground in a cheapo hammer mill type grinder, no matter how fresh and perfectly roasted they are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.