A Sculpture of Literally Nothing sells for $18,000.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cosmic Cowboy, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM.

1. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I know, right? After the first time, the whole "what is art really" thing is just not that interesting. Make some dang thing why doncha!

I came here to say I have the same statue but I got mine much cheaper.

Also, I couldn't quite finish my barbeque chicken dinner, so I will sell it the highest bidder. Unique artwork, never been an unfinished piece of barbecue chicken dinner art like it.

2. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

A bargain at twice the price.

3. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

You should let him know! The guy that printed his CDs obviously ripped him off!

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Gender confusion is so 21st C but it was his lens not hers, FWIW!

She is a painter while I do photography and music, plus make some folk art in shamanistic trance state every 13 years.
    Here’s a collage I made for fun that she did not like and didn’t even consider art.
    I was fighting with the shift from making B&W photographs in my darkroom to digital that seemed too easy to BE art.
    More self challenging than art or opinion.
    Made the collage I think in 2015 after my last real show of real photographs made by actual hands in chemicals in a room with no light.
    So husband, wife, used art we amassed or made, TV, and maybe my morning coffee got into this study of instant digital gratification.
    Part of the reason she didn’t like this collage, aside from collage being some kiddy crap and all, is her bit of puffy eyes and my snobbish look that isn’t really representative of us.
    But the damn think explores instant digital pics made so fast the artist becomes both subject and ego vomit in the new world artor.

9714189E-2ED2-4E50-844C-74B76740D00E.jpeg

5. telemnemonics

...my caged bird sings my dog has fleas...

6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Actually that is quite engaging IMO.
    The hard thing about art is often letting it go outside of the judgement of the creator. Whatever the medium, visual, audio, literature...

I firmly believe the goal should be to just "put a bunch of stuff out there" despite maybe needing to ignore how you judge it yourself. We all tend to be hyper critical about our own creations.
    Just put it out there anyway.

Maybe it is crap.
    Maybe someone else funds it interesting and inspiring.

Create. Share. Let it be judged by others responses.

Holding back because you dont feel it is good enough may be short changing yourself and others.
    Let er rip!

scook and telemnemonics like this.
  7. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I can dig. The gender thing was a result of confusion. Wish I had any skill with visual art. My brother is a photographer in Chicago. When he was out here helping with my kids, he had a gig with a big wedding photo studio. Basically, he worked 4 days a month, and banged bridesmaides he met the rest of the time.

I get a kick outta visual art. Went to the Salvador Dali museum high on LSD. That blew the top off my mind. Thats cool you have some things in common with the mrs. I was collecting X wives like old Fender guitars....so decided to slow down. Never had too many things in common (other than children). I bet it helps that you guys can share artistic ideas.

8. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Hey! I have been ripped off, I had that design on my white t-shirts for years!!!

9. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

They're not people! They're sheeple!

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Acquire it with a non-fungible-token

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

That’s the truth of it. This multipage thread about it, is the art working.

12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

That’s not even original. There was a spoof on Andy Warhol in the 1960’s Batman TV series where the penguin won an art contest with a blank canvas.

telemnemonics and Mexitele Blues like this.
  13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

And then there was Calvin & Hobbes.

[​IMG]

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is Art:

[​IMG]

15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Looks like a tax write off.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Walking around Tate Modern some years back. Not long opened and I found myself in a gallery that (I thought) was still being decorated. Turned out the pasting table with paste, brushes and paint rings all over it, was the ‘art’. What a load of c**p. So many cases of ‘the King’s new clothes’ in the art world.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 6:29 PM
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

There’s a degree of skill involved in painting a soup can…………………..

What I don’t get is what comes first. If a ridiculous piece of art sells for millions because it’s by a famous artist, how did they get to be famous in the first place churning out ridiculous pieces of art? Who decides that rubbish is art and pays enough money to own it that the ‘artist’ can produce even more, sell them, and become rich AND famous?

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I actually like that.

MarkieMark and telemnemonics like this.
  19. telemnemonics

All the Warhol soup cans in collections were actually made by hired help, not by Warhol.
    Then the Velvet Underground was actually created by Warhol, not by the band members.
    Meanwhile Warhol was engaged in the “scene” or art community as an influencer and maybe a social combatant against cultural mores that sought to stifle the unrest of youth by enforcing morality of former generations and of corporate interests in search of sheeple to fill cubicles in tall meat packing office buildings.

The part of the artist that displays hand eye coordination is a cheap commodity.
    Any Jr high school has a batch of kids who can draw a good likeness, some of whom even enjoy “art class”.

Those drawing skills are of minor significance in to what makes an artist who can inspire enough paying interest to actually make a living.

Some are charlatans but some change society, or at least pave an alternate road that a portion of society can travel, if they are not interested in being corporate meat puppets.

Music is one of the arts and can sometimes similarly listen to and speak to a generation that wants to reject their parents insistent morals and values.

The freeing of generations is more important than pictures hung over couches.
    Some nice pictures come out it all too though.
    And artists with real vision can expect to possibly be ridiculed in their own lifetimes.

DekeDog likes this.
  20. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

If I were an art thief, I'd break in and put something there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.