1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A return to (near) normal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Sep 13, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I agree with you completely, actually. Mad Max but with zero food and no sexy ladies in bondage gear is how I picture it. Not fun. But it doesn't have to happen that way, either.

Greggorios, JL_LI, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  2. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

My wife went into the office (Michigan Ave. downtown Chicago) for the first time since March.

She took a commuter train with 3 people in the car, instead of the usual 60-70.

Masks were about 50/50 downtown.

We've only been getting takeout, but we have been having small group gatherings of less than 10 people.

The post-covid workplace is going to be vastly different. For certain professions, going to the office regularly will be a thing of the past and employees will not be limited by geography.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If true this will devastate large cities and all they offer, and upend the economy for everybody. It could happen. But I think most people despise zooming in, and there will be a vaccine. The science looks good on the vaccine front.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+2 Buckle your seat belts.

Greggorios, JL_LI and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

The myth that people need to spend hours a week commuting to sit at a desk in an office has been shattered.

WFH is the new way to compete for talent.

Even in a "sunshine" scenario, mass vaccination is quite a ways out.

blowtorch and JL_LI like this.
  6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I was informed last week that I will be working from home until they review the situation in January 2021.

Because I have health issues that put me in the High Risk category, I haven't left the house or been around people since March 15th.

I mean ... I will go for a Sunday drive thru the country but that's it .

Things aren't getting any better here in Cheese Land.
    SIGH

I'm going slightly mad....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
  7. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Well, I got my first haircut in nine months yesterday...

I'm a social worker. I interview people in psychiatric crisis and help point them in the right direction. Amongst other places, I work in three emergency rooms. When things hit, they built extra walls in two of them. My coworkers and I took selfies in front of them. Then the overflow meant that they had to put COVID patients on MY side of the wall. The psychaitric patients actually got moved out of the ER and down the hall to a converted lecture space. Ironically, that was a much nicer, calmer, and quieter space than where they were kept in the ER. I hear it got weird sometimes, but I liked it.

Now, the walls are gone, the COVID patients are getting moved up or out faster, and the psychiatric patients are back to their inhumane spots in the hallway where they can be watched "for safety" like always. This is progress.

And whenever you hear how ER staff are great and amazing and heroes and stuff, just know that half of those *%(@# nurses pull down their &@^!$ masks when they speak like they can't possibly have a conversation with their &%)_@ masks on. Nurses are just as dumb as the rest of us. The docs however, tend to look like mummies.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

luckily that is all very well under control here, and we are able to have all that is needed and possible, covered by insurance 100%. We're up over a million bucks in services by now, I suspect.

blowtorch, telemnemonics and JL_LI like this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

We’ve been at school since the 3rd week of August. Everybody’s wearing a mask and keeping social distance, sanitizing desks before they sit down, washing hands when they enter the building, checking temp before coming to school, etc. It required a lot of adjustments over the summer, but so far so good. Amazing what you can accomplish with a bit of cooperation.

I still haven’t eaten in a restaurant or got on a plane. THAT’s when I’ll feel normal again, I guess.

JL_LI and P Thought like this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Thanks to everyone who posted. Eating out in the city only feels like “normal”. My wife and I won’t feel normal until we can fly to California to see the grandkids. We’ve cancelled a trip to Geneva and postponed two weeks in Hawaii. It won’t really feel normal to me until I’m rebuilding my stock of hotel toiletries again. I’ve gone 30 years without buying shampoo and I’m down to my last three. That’s not normal. Not even close.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Engine Swap and Greggorios like this.
  11. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

We're itching for a trip somewhere, even driving to the Quad Cities would be welcome. Not ready to dine in anywhere, but missing that too.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.