1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A return to (near) normal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Sep 13, 2020.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Yesterday was a perfect late summer day. Sunny, low 70's with low humidity, as good as it gets. I put down the fall fertilizer on the rose bushes, Japanese maples, crepe myrtle, dwarf cherry tree, ***** willow, and the berry patch. Yard work makes me tired, but we loaded up the new puppy and drove into the city to bring her for a play date with her older sister. We have a Weaten terrier from the same breeding pair as my son's dog. We left her with my son and went out to dinner at Campagnolo, an Italian restaurant on 1st Ave, with an old friend. This is the first time we've eaten out since February. My wife was wary and suited up for the occasion. She wore a mask and gloves and brought her own utensils. We convinced her that the restaurant washes its dishes in hot water and she didn't need to use the plastic plates she brought. She also brought a face shield, which thankfully she took off after a minute or two. I have a picture but it's too embarrassing to post. Dining was outdoors. We like that and hope it stays as a permanent part of the NYC dining scene. Dining outside under heaters is common in Europe and we enjoy that. I hope we see that here when the weather gets cooler. Yesterday finally felt like normal. It's been a long time and we relished it. No one can predict what the new normal will look like. What's it been like for you?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We had a great lunch last Saturday with some music friends on their back porch. We also played a few tunes. For the last two years we saw them at least once or twice a month; we had not seen them since January.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I work at a small 29 room seaside resort with many guests being regulars but this year many cancelled including all the Canadians.
    I guess since July we've had outdoor dining etc, packed beach, a good run of business and even live music at several venues in town, all outdoors.
    Nice but I'm not sure what to make of it all.
    Often questioning my own sanity too, being used to it but at the same time not.

Digital Larry and JL_LI like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mandatory LOL for the cuss filter.

5. BigDaddyLH

Last weekend we were wine touring nearby, in Naramata. Most wineries now require you book ahead of time and there are headcount limits, hand sanitizer, and distancing. But most importantly, wine!

Wineries with cafes usually have outside seating because of the weather and the view. We et here. I can't remember the last time I ate inside at a restaurant. Usually, it's just take away these days.

[​IMG]

Here it is, in earlier, pre-XXXXX days.

[​IMG]

String Tree, green_henry and JL_LI like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

no normal in sight, IMO. Best get accustomed to the new normal
    My sister and I were discussing just yesterday how a lot of people have been going on that this is the worst year ever, and they can't wait until it's over and done with.

Like 2021 is going to magically be unicorns and rainbows and buckets of puppies :rolleyes:

7. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Restrictions haven’t slackened much here. Pubs are open but with restrictions and some participating in temperature checks and track and trace measures.

My sister in law is a copper and one of my best mates is doctor. There’s whisperings of a second lockdown!

JL_LI likes this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Why did you fertilize those plants in the Fall? What analysis fertilizer do you use? What part of the country are you in? USA?

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I live on Long Island. I'm not a horticulturist. I use the same mixture, 2 parts dried coffee grounds to 1 part Holly-Tone Organic 3-4-3 fertilizer all year round on my entire garden. What I find is this. I get roses into November, sometimes into December. Many plants are deceivingly active during the winter. I see new leaf buds on many of them in February. What I think is that the coffee grounds help mulch the soil and the relatively mild fertilizer keeps them happy. Since adopting this routine, my crepe myrtle has come back to life, My ***** willow still loses long branches but sports new growth each year. We lose fewer roses over the winter. Last winter we lost none at all. The hardest part of all this is drinking enough coffee to support the needs of the plants. :lol:

2HBStrat and telemnemonics like this.
  10. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

I had a staff meeting - haven't seen the guys since end March when lockdown here started - in my back garden - had a BBQ - did no work

JL_LI and tubegeek like this.
  11. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle TDPRI Member

Living in Sweden...the new normal is pretty much like the old normal + 6ft social distancing...

No concerts though...or other big gatherings...

JL_LI and Tele-beeb like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

One thing I'm going to miss, if I have to go back to my noisy office...

harley_sleeping.jpg

I turned around on my chair and took this a minute ago! My workstation is in a spare bedroom, and Harley climbed onto the bed (note dog stairs for a senior dog) and is snoring away. I didn't even realize he was behind me until he started snoring.

JL_LI, GreatDaneRock and String Tree like this.
  13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Holland never went into a full lock-down. In fact, my life as a self-employed house painter did not change one bit. None of my customers cancelled a contract, none of my suppliers closed. When they re-opened things, I didn't even notice, except every morning when I read the updates on the pertinent statistics.

Ironically, now that the lock-down is lifted, I am faced with a lockdown far more extreme and debilitating, due to health problems within the house. But that is a whole different story.

JL_LI likes this.
  14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

What part of ME? I've spent a lot of time down East, we were in Kennebunk earlier this summer for a week - it was heaven.

15. telemnemonics

Way down South in Ogunquit AKA beautiful place by the sea.
    Pretty nice here, lived in Kennebunk at times too and did a boat building apprenticeship there then taught boat building to kids in ‘80/‘81.
    Really coastal Maine is beautiful for the first 200 miles of driving or thereabouts then turns redneck rural.

JL_LI and tubegeek like this.
  16. telemnemonics

Sorry to hear you have health problems in the family or home.
    Not a great time to get healthcare...

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There are no guarantees in life. But probability laws dictate that if one thing is a million times S$*%tier than normal, the next one to come along is likely to be a lot better! Not guaranteed but likely. I think it's going to be a real hard winter though. It'll all get worse before it gets better.

18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I've been all the way to New Brunswick and from there to the Maritimes, I know what you mean.

The thing I noticed: you go up the coast and after Acadia you see a shift: it gets noticeably less populated, much much fewer houses and people. Then you cross the border and it gets noticeably less populated again.

By the time you reach Cape Breton it's not much like Brooklyn.

Spent many a summer in Bayside (the one on the Penobscot Bay near Belfast.) Spent our honeymoon in Kennebunk and then again this summer. As a high school kid I canoed the Allagash end to end with a small group. And that drive all the way north I mentioned. Seen some sights - that cool beach near Bath, and another lovely tidal area somewhere near Deer Isle.

I feel like I've got a decent working knowledge of Maine by now - and I love it. I'd give a whole lot for a slice of blueberry pie at Moody's right about now.

JL_LI and telemnemonics like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Lost my SIL's father to you-know-what the other week, so to me and my family, masking is showing respect for others.

Change your attitude and adapt.

Up here, my life has been fairly "normal" this year as I am building the sunken attached greenhouse. However, today the smoke has arrived from Oregon and I am wearing a N95 mask while working outside. Worst smoke that I have ever seen here.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My fear is that we still societally simply have no idea of just how bad things can get for a "developed nation" in these current times.

My fear is we've not as of yet even tasted it.

2021 very well could make 2020 look like a happy walk through the park on a pleasant afternoon

Do I live in dread? certainly not. But I think many just have no idea how bad things can actually get, and how quickly

Greggorios, JL_LI, P Thought and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.