A reminder to hydrate your acoustics.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chunkocaster, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I Don’t know if this is the same thing you are talking about but rickenbacker finish their rosewood finger boards

DHart and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have any before pics but this was taken a few months after sealing it with tru oil. The untreated fretboard was a medium dark rosewood, I wanted ebony due to the guitar being a d-35 copy. It looks the same now a year or two later. It would have turned out much nicer if I tru oiled it before gumming it up with the minwax stain. Before sealing it the minwax used to rub off on to my fingers and feel gummy. No more gummy feeling or rubbing off after sealing it with the tru oil. I had a mim classic 60's strat neck that also looked like it had a thin clear coat of poly on it from factory.

20190518_161339.jpg

DHart likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Looks great. In hindsight would you still use the Minwax Stick for tinting before Tru-Oil, between Tru-Oil applications, or ???

If you applied Tru-Oil first, wouldn't that prevent the MinWax stain from penetrating the wood?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

In hindsight I should have stained the board when it was new and hadn't been lemon oiled and played daily for a year or more. The minwax would have adhered to the wood better and probably dried properly instead of staying tacky. It's not perfect like I would have liked it to be but it looks fine unless you eyeball it really close in the light looking for flaws. That phone pic made it look worse than it really is due to the camera exaggerating the minor flaws.

I still prefer it to a lighter rosewood fretboard on this guitar and it plays and sounds fine so i'm happy with it. The minwax stain pens are not great on fretboards although on a clean dry board with a sealer over the top they are the best easiest option for staining a board that I know of.

Untreated Rosewood can be oily by itself just due to the nature of the wood so sometimes stains and tru oil take a while to dry on it unlike maple etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    DHart and 4pickupguy like this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In 2012 I was working a 10 month job in Thailand. I had bought an acoustic there. It was a fingerstyle model Crafter. Sounded and played great and I got it at a great discount with the exchange rate. We were called to go to Chile for a week long site survey of some helicopters in a resort town called Con Con. I was still honeymooning with the new Crafter so I had to take it. Our hotel was right on the water yet it was dry as a rice cake fart. It never moved but it sure got lively sounding. I thought it sounded good before, man it just came alive. Probably not good for it. Like I said I was still in love so I took some glamour shots of it on the balcony of the hotel. From the coastal jungles of southern Thailand to arid Chile and back in a week is pretty extreme...

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Chunk, if you brought that to me for a refret I probably would turn it down simply because I did know what I was getting into or how well it was going to work. I've made it a point to not do refrets on lacquered maple fretboards - I'll give the hassle to someone else. In theory I could do yours and it might go smoothly, but I figure there are lots of other guitar techs in the world.....

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Nice. I like the dark look with rosewood, Pau ferro, etc. And with a maple board, I like the look of deep-tinted and dark-roasted maple.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

great pics, that amberred top looks sweet too.

9. Chunkocaster

It has smaller frets on it than i'd like but still plays fine, bends and all. When the time comes to re fret it if the finish gets boogered up when pulling the old frets it should be an easy fix, i'll just sand the fretboard to radius, re stain in ebony and re apply the tru oil before installing new frets. It would probably add something like 20 mins to the job. Much easier than trying to salvage a messed up tinted poly finish on maple.

10. Chunkocaster

Thanks, the lighter rosewood looked really out of place on this guitar seeing as everything else about it is a dead ringer for a D-35. I like the darker tints on rosewood, pau ferro and maple too.

11. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Pffft. Non worried. Carbon Fiber baby. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    DHart and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.