A reminder to hydrate your acoustics.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chunkocaster, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reminder. Just recently I cracked the case to my acoustic and thankfully all was well. I do not have a humidifier and I was just thinking about that. What a coincidence. I’m in Virginia by the Chesapeake bay so it doesn’t get too dry but I’m not taking any more chances.

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

You and I are neighbors!

Bob

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i picked up a whole home humidifier at home depot a couple of years ago. it keeps my entire house ~45% thereabouts unless it gets brutally cold and the heater has to run all the time. if things start dipping down below 40% (rare) i have a smaller humidifier in my music room that i can also run. it doesn't get much use though. i don't like trying to keep up with the in case humidifiers, and i also enjoy keeping a lot of my guitars out where they are handy. YMMV

telestratosonic and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Nice!

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

See my post #45 above. I just dressed the frets on my tele clone because they were getting a tad sharp. Otherwise I don't worry about solid bodies.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Freeman. I am hoping a few other people can also chime on with their thoughts on the need to humidify electric guitars (per my earlier post #59). Is it really necessary, if the guitar lives in the case most of the time? What kind of humidifier do I need to get (is the $50 kind they sell at Home Depot ok?) Do I really need those humidifying packs to keep in my cases, that some people swear by?

7. Freeman Keller

I don't hydrate my two solid body guitars, my metal bodied resonator, my mandolin or uke (I probably should) or a couple of guitars that are in long term storage. All of these can suffer from dehydration, the main issue will be the fretboard shrinking and frets getting sharp. That isn't something that is reversible like the top on an acoustic, if my fret ends are sharp I just fix them.

I do keep all of my instruments in cases rather than in the fluctuating RH of my home and music room, but that is more for protection than anything else.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, yes I have a mint looking Taylor 214ce deluxe that smells of death due to the previous owner. I'm pretty sure the guitar must have been humidified and had water leak in it in a humid climate and mold took over. There are light signs of a white mold inside I managed to clean off when I received it but the smell refuses to leave. I've tried everything, mold killer, vinegar, ionization but it still has the smell emitting from the sound hole when strummed hard.

telestratosonic and idjster like this.
  9. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I have to hydrate at my location every winter. A couple of years ago I finally broke down and bought the Boveda packs. Best decision I've ever made. The best part is....when the Boveda packs dry out....I put them in a sealed Tupperware container along with all of my old guitar humidifiers (I throw some sponges in their plastic carrier, my old oasis filled with distilled H2O etc). The dried out Boveda packs will 'recharge' themselves after some time and are like new again. NOW the Boveda packs are worth every penny....and they usually last through a whole winter. No more constant checking and refilling. Awesome.

10. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Vinegar is showing to be better at killing mold and its smell. At least it'll smell like a salad or fish and chips.

11. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

duplicate

12. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’m in southeastern Minnesota- and have an old home with radiant heat...with a humidifier on constantly, I can see the RH drop into the high teens and low 20’s. My electrics get wicked fret sprout if I’m not über careful. I keep the humidifier cranked and filled, and keep everything in a case - older guitars and acoustics get humidipaks too.

My home is cozy and my own...I’m not moving in the foreseeable future - so I have to pay close attention to the care of my guitars. About once every winter, one of them seems to need a trip to the luthier for a fret end touch up.

I know...it ought to be a DIY project - but my local guy is great, and I’d rather help keep him in business rather than Stew-Mac. Support the hometown guy that’s just making ends meet - my preference

13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

...ok guys maybe I need to vent a little cloudy this morning giving away to glorious sunshine for a few hours and guess wharb- More Rain. My yard is beginning to resemble a bog:cry:

14. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I would have loved to be at the Ryman that night - Dan's the Man!

Chunkocaster and telestratosonic like this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

With electrics, generally there isn't a need to tend to their humidity, except perhaps in extreme circumstances.

BUT, you can prevent excessive drying of unfinished fretboards (e.g. rosewood) by giving the unfinished fretboard a periodic treatment of fretboard oil, cutting board oil, or mineral oil. Be aware, Lemon oil is just mineral oil with an additive. No need to spend much money on this stuff. A treatment once or twice a year should be plenty to keep the fretboard from drying to the point of fret ends protruding.

Chunkocaster and telestratosonic like this.
  16. Freeman Keller

I realize that many many many people oil their fretboards and I do not want to start a big argument here - I don't for two reasons. First, a long time ago Martin included a caution in their owners manuals stating that some lemon oils react with nitrocellulose lacquers and they recommended not using oils on their fretboards. I finish guitars in lacquer and not only am heeding that caution (they no longer include on their website) but I simply don't want any oils, silicons, waxes or anything else on the finish.

The second reason is that I repair guitars, including doing a fair number of refrets. I glue frets in with a tiny drop of CA and I use CA to repair chip out. I have had fretboards with some much oil in them that the CA will not adhere. In general if I detect significant oil in the f/b I turn down the refret - let someone else deal with it.

With that said, Bob Taylor and a bazillion other people recommend it so you can make up your own mind. I just think its cosmetic and probably does no good as far as preventing sharp fret ends on a dehydrated guitar

(FK puts on his asbestos underwear and prepares for the replys....)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yeah.. not like there is a NEED to frequently oil a raw fretboard.

I am among those who like to do so once or twice a year.

The important aspect is not to over-do it.

Done moderately, once or twice a year, if you live in a dry climate as I do, is perfectly reasonable in the view of luthiers I have spoken with on the topic.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some may be horrified but I tru oiled the rosewood fretboard on my number one acoustic. I had ebonized it a few years ago and the minwax stain pen made a mess of it. Never truly dried and it wore off in spots. My solution was to ebonize it once more and let it dry as much as it wanted to over a couple weeks with no playing. Then apply 2 coats of tru oil over the top. It sealed it in and has held up nicely for about two years of daily playing now.
    If it wears away it's a five minute fix to apply another coat of tru oil and the board looks like it's just been lemon oiled every time I pick it up.

DHart likes this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Sounds interesting. I've wondered about sealing a rosewood fretboard... what it would be like. If you have any photos, I'd love to see them.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ll go get my asbestos cooking mitts, I’m with you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.