A REAL CD or itunes delivery ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brett Fuzz, May 1, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I have bought a couple of albums via itunes download.

But like books, I have to have the physical product.

I dig the liner notes & I just feel I am getting something for my $$$.

Books too. Love the feel, smell & tactile feedback from a REAL book on my bookshelf.

Wish they'd really bring back albums on vinyl with all the razzamatazz they came with! :(

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

With music it's more about data rates, file formats, compression etc. I prefer to to have the CD so that I can carry out my own transfer.

With books I'm still undecided. I have always been a real bibliophile in the past, give me the hardback with it's dust jacket every time. Just very recently however I have started to read and download books using a tablet and I'm impressed. The reading experience itself is unchanged, the lit screen can be useful when reading in bed at night, not disturbing partner etc.

And then there's the whole issue of trees not having to be harvested for books, fossil fuels saved with electronic delivery etc. There is a flip side to all these new methods, not least in employment, but more and more I'm coming down on the side of electronic delivery.

3. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

iTunes here. I can download anything I want at any time with no wait. I still enjoy going to the record store but anymore they are dinosaurs and its just a matter of time before they become extinct.

4. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Records here have gotten a resurgence due to hipsters. problem is they are also super expensive.

Plus the sound quality isn't as good as my iTunes. Also a hassle to take all the records around with me.

Ebooks/Ereaders etc are so useful. Iv got maybe 1,000 books on my iPhone stored in the cloud for me to read whenever. perfect

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I do buy my music as downloads, but it would be nice if it included a file that had the cover in large format that I could look at and read. I guess the practice of including information with the music mostly went away with the advent of CDs, and I miss it.

6. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

majority of albums I buy on iTunes have digital booklets? might just be different bands

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

And the best parts:
    -You can carry around what would have been a huge stack of reference material
    -If you suddenly need a book right now, you can just buy it from wherever you happen to be.

8. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Nah, I need a real CD or Book. For me, It's all part of the experience.

I can then burn the CD if I need and rip the files to other devices if I want.

Books are so cool to own and treasure. A nice bookshelf, well crafted & stocked with all your books is nice.

9. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Sound quality of itunes is better than records...

Not in a million years.

10. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Itunes is really expensive it seems to me compaired to other sites I have bought mp3s from. I don't see why I can't just download a wav file these days. I mean we have 5tb hard drives these days. That could hold like every song ever written in wave format. Micro sd memeory is cheap don't see why I couldn't just own a cheap media player that takes micro sd and have my whole collection of music on wav. Or a company could just make a player with enough memory for that kind of thing and not gouge me on price for memory that probably cost about a nickle a gb to make. Its a fine format it sounds great.

I could see why people would still buy a cd just because the sounds quality of wav. I really don't care how many bits it is. Wav is 16 I don't think the human ear could reasonably decifer much of a differnce in a higher bit rate once it's mixed and mastered to 16 bit. I mean 32 bit helps for recording single tracks but honestly once people started recording on computer I havent heard a recording as good as they use to make on reel to reel or digital tape. Especially since a lot of these new "higher resolotion formats" actually sound worse than the ones we had before. That's one of the reasons I record on linux. It sounds better that Windows or mac daws Not as much selection for converters but I can mod most audio interfaces to sound great. Not like they make any good ones out of the box anyways.

For books I like ebooks just fits my lifestyle better. Nothing wrong with an old fashoned book though.

11. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

CD. Just received 3 from Amazon yesterday. They are ripped to a separate HD in my desktop Dell.

12. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

vinyl + download and/or rip to Amazon MP3 cloud. Almost every record you buy now comes with a download card. If not, Amazon gives you a digital copy of everything if you buy from them.

It's the best of both worlds.

13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Yup. You get the music now, then the physical CD comes a few days later.

14. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I agree that a shelf full of your favourite hardbacks say, is hard to beat, and browsing a good art book is a pleasure all its own. But I can do without the stacks of dog-eared paperbacks that end up cluttering my shelves.

When I moved a while back I discarded a whole load of books, cassette tapes, videos etc. that I don't miss at all.

My bookshelves are now slimmed down to a manageable 4 or 5 shelves and the rest I just download when and if needed. Kind of a half-way house.

It is a shame that the old album cover art and lyric sleeves that were so large a part of music enjoyment years ago are no longer available but it's down to artists to create new compelling (interactive?) ways to enjoy additional content.

15. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Actually it probably is. Vinyl isn't known for its flawless reproduction.

16. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

If you like vinyl and look around, there's a vast number of quality LP reissues to be had. Even my local box chain Archambault sells a bunch. And it isn't only obvious classics (Pink Floyd or Zeppelin) to be found.

A few years ago I bought a brand new reissue of Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left on vinyl. I've also seen reissues of the Velvet Underground and Nico, and even the obscure Ry Cooder/ Taj Mahal Rising Sons album from the 60s.

That being said, I love vinyl, CD, downloading -- whatever brings the music to my ears, that's what matters to me more than the format.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I only buy CD's when there's no download available.

18. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The problem with modern vinyl is that almost all of it goes through a digital process at some point. No matter how good your digital sampling is, you're always going to lose something, and once you lose it you can't get it back.

You can get that vinyl "warmth" by turning down your highs a little bit :)

I like having the physical product too, and very rarely look at a digital booklet for more than a glance. If you're trying to support smaller artists, they make a lot more from selling a CD than they do from a digital download.

Apple's files are often better quality than an mp3, but they're more expensive and often have DRM on the tracks, so if I'm buying mp3s I almost always use Amazon.

19. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

^ I agree.

Mp3 sound is inferior to my ears, but I still use my ipods a lot. I bought a lot of downloads a few years ago, but I'm back to CD's and occasionally, LP's. Folks with terrible or poorly set up turntables will not benefit from the LP experience. And of course, lots of folks are using super hi-resolution digital, which is better than CD's.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Vinyl? You've probably never heard of it. It's pretty obscure.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.