A question to fellow Gibson owners.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I have on occasion been caught with my nose stuck in the sound hole of my Martin acoustic. Guitar sniffing is a well documented fetish that is endemic to acoustic players. The fact that it is now spreading to the realm of solid body owners is a truly frightening prospect since there is evidently no known cure for this particular form of compulsive behavior. Although there have been no documented cases the fear among experts is that guitar sniffing may eventually mutate to a second stage condition that involves the other senses. If you experience an urge to actually taste your guitar it is important to seek professional help immediately to avoid the possibility of toxic reactions.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've always thought that SGs stunk. But my new LP Traditional, and my Baja, and my Godin ACS-SA all smell fine.

3. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

My newest Gibson smells like an old church. It was made in 1939.

4. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

It is definitely the nitro, not the case - my SG Classic came with a gig bag, and has the same unmistakable smell as my LP.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think I know what smell you're talking about (not the nitro smell).

I have a 1959 Gibson es-225 and if I sniff into the soundhole it smells like an old furniture/antique store.

6. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Its the smell of solvents ,finish retarders and the buffing compound.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only new Gibby I ever owned, an ES-125 TDC with the most beautiful cherry sunburst I ever saw had the aroma. If you think about it, nitro "dries" pretty fast, but continues to harden as it 'outgasses' for a long,long time, eventually drying out to the point that it starts to alligator. My guess is that its the nitro outgassing.

8. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Yes sir, sure is !

9. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Teles are piquant, with a strong finish and vanilla and lemon undertones.

Gibsons are, um, more fruit forward...

10. Alexandre

Alexandre Tele-Holic

Maybe the nitro has something to do with it, but I still believe that it may smell like that if left in the case. I have 5 Gibsons up on the wall, and none smell (I have to admit that I felt pretty darn stupid when I was smelling them this morning!). The did once ... when I use to leave them in the cases. Not anymore.

Epi do not come in Gibson cases...

11. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, as promised, I A/B'd my LP Standard and my SG. They are both within a year or two of each other in terms of age and they both have identical Gibson USA cases. They both smell nice but the smells are different. I don't know how to account for this because you would think that the same nitro would be used on both. Maybe they use different polishing compounds. Either way, they smell nice but different.
    Speaking of guitar sniffing, my 1988, ES-335 smells great through the soundhole. It's probably the wood with hints of glue and possibly nitro.
    I'm also thinking that keeping a guitar in it's case will help retain the smell because the outgassing in confined within the case.
    Either way, this is one strange thread.:D

12. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Nor are they nitro...

13. natrontheape

natrontheape Tele-Meister

Another vote for the nitro. I smell it on all my nitro guitars, which include two Fenders and a Les Paul, but it's not there on my only 100% poly finished guitar.

14. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

Smells like newborn babies!

15. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Okay... after reading this thread, how many of us have grabbed a guitar and sniffed it?

I rarely play my LP, but I'll admit that I took it out of its case and sniffed it last night.

It has a different smell than some of my other guitars, but it's not overwhelming or noticeable without my nose right up to it.

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first Gibson was a Nighthawk.
    [​IMG]

I remember when I bought it that I had this "H'mmm that guitar has a nice smell." when checking if the neck was straight and holding the body close to my face. Unfortunately, it didn't sound as nice as it smelled.

17. Alexandre

Alexandre Tele-Holic

Right, but could it be a combination of both? Nitro inprints the smell of the plush, glue, or whatever, from the case? I do not keep mine in cases and nitro, poly or otherwise, they pretty much smell the same.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I'm ditching my Christmas Tree car freshener for a Tele!

Do I want my ride to smell like a Pre or, Post, CBS Tele? Hmmm........

19. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Sniffing soundholes,its stuff like this that keeps me coming back for more of this site! Much better than Hillbilly Hand Fishing,or Dog, the bounty hunter,on the boob tube.Course the show where people eat Kleenex and comet cleanser is a must see!

20. andrewr

andrewr Tele-Meister

It's the guitar.

I have a new ES335 (satin, interestingly) that reeks of it. The case does too, obviously, but the reason I know it's not the case is...

I also have an Explorer. That had the smell, I loved it at first. But then after two years or so the guitar was still sticky as hell and was showing no sign of hardening up (by the way, it never went near its case during that time). I came to LOATHE that chocolate, vanilla, sweet smell. It was still quite strong, even after two years out of the case. I came to associate the smell with "the horrible sticky gunk that Gibson put on my otherwise nice guitar".

Eventually I gave in and decided to strip the back of the neck to make me want to touch it again. I got somewhat carried away and stripped the whole thing apart from the front of the headstock. I then gave it a slightly darker tint than the bare mahogany and then finished it in danish oil and briwax. Gorgeous guitar now.

So, the smell was gone from our lives (apart from a lingering memory in the case)...

Until... I bought 335 in satin transluscent black a few weeks ago - I recognised the smell immediately, and it even made me think twice about buying it.

So the smell is back BIG time in our place. However, this guitar is not sticky at all, even though the back of the neck has already polished up from playing it.

So, (happy ending) I love the smell again because now it means my gorgeous black 335 :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.