A question to desert-rat-gardeners

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi guys, I just prepared a small patch in my garden where would like to grow something to eat.
Last summer here was superhot and very dry.
Do you guys have a cool suggestion? I don’t feel like carrying water around all the time.
In winter it gets wet and cold here.
1422380F-EA46-4F23-8E35-ABA2043A3541.jpeg

Baby Blues

TDPRI Member
Hello fellow gardener!

I will happily do some looking into your grow zone and weather and make some suggestions! We get a lot of snow and frigid cold in the winter, but get a moderate to extreme drought with a lot (for me at least) of heat every summer. (I live near the Badlands in the US, in coincidentally a town founded and populated by German immigrants.)

Could you tell me a little bit about your preferences? My first idea would be to find a drought tolerant bramble such as raspberry. But I can look for something more crop like if you prefer. (Not all raspberries are drought tolerant but we can find one that is without too much trouble.)

I planted raspberries 13 years ago, and have only watered them on the years I've moved them, but they always do really well. They'd do better with water, but they give me plenty of tasty snacks without.

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
We have a RainBird system that powers 2-4 'dribblers' at each plant, more or less like the pic below. Probably overkill for a small garden, but it does take the guesswork out of it and I like that ours adjusts for rainy days. It gets cold here too; only real maintenance is that I blow the system out in November.

1670423457845.png