1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A question from the past

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Dec 4, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When was that?
    Not the formed cap, but flat and glued on?
    Sounds like the plastic bottles in convenience stores maybe in Jersey or NYC?

Trying to remember, I think that's how the ones I used were, but I've seen the earlier plain cardboard circles with a little tab that just pressed into the opening. Never had it at home but in the neighborhoods it was still common, and for years after delivery stopped you'd see the boxes on front steps, like they hoped the milkman would return?

Obsessed likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I can't remember how we got our milk in the apartments when I was very young. I doubt that there was a milkman, but when we moved into a house in the early 60s, I only remember the crimped foil cardboard caps.

I went to school with our milkman's daughter that eventually played violin next to me in our Junior high orchestra. We competed for "first violin" for a few years. Okay, yeah, you probably didn't need to know that.:oops:

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That was my first job at 13 in 1969. Up at midnight, porridge and delivered 100 gallons by 7:00 a.m. Then off to school, sports whatever.
    Bought my first guitar with my earnings.

telemnemonics and marc2211 like this.
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

answer from the past.... cork

5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Telebra likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

7. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

I lived in England 1959-62. I remember we had a Milkman with a Horse drawn wagon. All the neighbor ladies would watch from their front yards (while pretending to tend their gardens) and hope the horse would leave a pile in front of their house, then they would run out and scoop it up to use as fertiliser in their gardens. Unwritten rule was that you could only claim it if it was in front of your house. Only problem was, the horse didn't follow rules and sometimes he would leave a trail that crossed bounderies. Then all these 'Proper' housewives would be trying to out-do themselves trying to be polite and tell the neighbor " no, you take that pile, its closer to your side than mine". Sometimes my mother would try and get me or my brother to go get it but we always had the excuse that Mrs. Normile beat us to it.
    What does this have to do with TELECASTERS?.....well if I spent that time in 1962 listening to the up-coming bands like the 'Rolling Stones' instead of fighting over HORSES**T, I might have made a greater musical success of myself. 1950s - 83 (2).jpg

papa32203, FrankJames and P Thought like this.
  8. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

We can still get milk delivered here.
    It was all but dead, but there was something of a resurgence in demand during the last year. Not sure how long it’ll last once things get more normal though.

9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Who said any of that? Pressed on foil caps on glass bottles. Peel them up and throw them away.

Now I seem to remember that you could buy snap-on plastic caps at the grocery store to use after opening the bottle. I think I still have a couple around here somewhere.

This was the late 60s and early 70s, by the way.

10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

If you pushed very carefully down on the centre of the silver foil cap, Ireland was possible to spread the crimp around the neck, leaving a top that could be lifted off an on.

11. telemnemonics

I was trying to figure out why you threw the cap away?
    If it's formed to stay on mechanically, it can be put back on and stay.
    If it won't fit back on and stay, it must have been held on with adhesive?
    I was recalling the foil and paper formed caps that stayed on well enough to use for the time it took to use up the bottle.
    Might have been all paper too, not sure.

12. telemnemonics

Fiddled with the milkmaid eh?

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Pogs! Right?
    PC050125.JPG

57fenderstrat likes this.
  14. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

We had it delivered in the sixties in Ontario. Our house had a milk chute on one side where the milkman could leave the bottles.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.