A Question For Tweakers

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wailin' Tele, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

How do you go about crafting a tone 'patch'?

I have a TC Electronic G-system, 3 dirt pedals (nova drive, tc's retired VDP1, Love pedal eternity) that i can connect to the G's 3 loop buttons, a xotic effects EP booster and a sonic maximizer pedal that can be connected via either a loop four input, that doesn't have a physical button like the other 3 loops, or an insert slot that would function as an always on effect (used for preamps but an effect could be placed there as well).

Ironically Ive always been a plug and play kind of guitarist and I have an ultimate tweaks setup.

I need help with the process of creating a sound patch, as well as some setup questions.

For example do you generally use compression for clean patches and not so much for dirt?

Is the sonic maximizer superfluous? I am considering sticking either it or the ep into the always on insert slot?

There is an eq built in to the G, when do you use it, for what purpose? Do you leave the amp neutral? Or dial in amp for basic sound then color when needed? I think I just answered my own question. How do you use EQ?

I have so many choices I'm overwhelmed and need some tips to try out and start experimenting. Any literature that i should check out?

Also do you create patches for specific guitar amp combos, like single coil-fender, humbucker- marshall?

Your wisdom would be much appreciated.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

If you get a clean tone you like with just your guitar and amp, start there.
    Then start adding stuff. Figure out what you need as far as overdrive sounds. Squeaky clean? Slightly overdriven? Medium? Full-bore? Then start playing with those sounds. No delays, no modulation, no reverbs, no pitch harmonized ring modulated step filtered multi-phasers, etc.

Once you get a "basic clean tone" patch, save it to a whole bank so you have a bunch of clean slates to experiment with.

When you start adding effects, matching output levels to maintain even volume levels between patches is a challenge. It's helpful to be able to play as loud as you can get away with, because patches that sound like they're at the same volume when playing very quietly will jump all over the place when you start playing with a band.

3. Wailin' Tele

I will keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up.

Maybe I should go about this another way, for those of you that have lots of different effects, what are your favorite combinations for clean and dirt? Im looking for suggestions on what and how to blend/combine.

4. Wailin' Tele

Bump.

5. Wailin' Tele

6. Wailin' Tele

7. Wailin' Tele

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

#1 set the amp(s) up to use with your system. Mine are setup for a clean tone and then drive chan is set up for boosted hairy version of the clean tone. I never touch the amps except to kick on the boost.

#2 learn your processors strengths and weaknesses. Set down and go through its factory presets, find ones that speak to you and go in and look how their constructed. Find the effects/patches it does well and ones it sucks at.
    #2B set down and learn your processor on one effect at a time, build your own preset on a trial basis. Start with the EQ, od, dynamics, filters and routing schemes. Learn them. Then do same with delays, verbs, detunes, pitch, tremolo, chorus etc. Learn them and get proficient at editing your box and what EQ settings serve your guitars and amps well.

#3 Build your own presets. Many of best I have are simple get'em done ones. Comp>reverb. Then clone that to next slot, add a EQ for a solo boost of that same sound. Build one that has your drive pedals loop programmed in. Then clone that, add a comp and bit more od after od and throw a arena solo delay in at the end.

You get the idea, build what you need, leave most of the factory preset cruft behind or clone to a new slot and edit it it to your liking. Learn the effects it does really good and the ones that bring everything you like about guitar to its knees and forget about them. Build your presets to play to your processors strengths.

Me I like sonic stomp but I don't always have it on.

9. Wailin' Tele

Thanks, that was helpful.

What situations do you have your sonic stomp on/off? Tweaking it in my room may not be playing to its strengths, I can see it having more of use in live situations.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well Sonic Stomp is like horseradish on a sandwich, to much and you ruin it. Don't over do it.

Things like a warm, clean jazz tone is where it's off, it doesn't need that. Sparkly, jangly riffs and tight metal tones are where it excels.

11. Wailin' Tele

That's extremely helpful, thanks Dave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.