A question for non-Americans

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by xtelesquirex, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:42 AM.

1. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

My friends in Sweden like Extreme Metal and Punk Rock. In Germany it's EDM and Metal. In Eastern Europe it's Blues and Punk Rock. The UK gave us some of the world's best Rock bands. This begs the question...

Is country music an American thing? Is it popular in Europe? If yes, which artists seem to attract the most attention?

(I'm sure my examples are grossly over-generalised. They're based entirely on my own conversations with friends in those locations.)

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

The boss hoss did a bit of the country thing in germany.
    the folk revival happened in england in think, when the usa didn't care anymore about the style.
    Country music is a bit like rockabilly music. It is there but not Florida geogia line popular. Which is a good thing.

KS6V, Asmith and xtelesquirex like this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine was/is a touring musician with a "famous" country singer who seemed to be more famous in Germany! I forget exactly who as this was early 2000's but you'd recognize the name for sure. They did lots of tours with lots of dates throughout Europe but Germany seemed to be the hot spot for them if memory serves

I recall him telling me it was weird as instead of the audience adopting a cowboy western wardrobe they dressed as US calvary F-Troop kinda stuff!

I never confirmed this but Bob was one of the more even dudes I ever met and believed him...

ftroop16-1.jpg

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So what is the European equivalent of "ass whoopin' in the parking lot"?

5. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I prefer G-troop; the fingerings are easier.

6. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Country music is pretty popular in my part of Canada. It's practically a law to wear a cowboy hat around here, especially during the Calgary Stampede.

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

To my mind it is an entirely unique American thing - very marmite for me and, just for the record, I especially don't like marmite if it's got banjos as well :rolleyes:

Saying that, we do have successful and popular American C&W tours over here, not to mention the Country 2 Country 'festival'.

To put a question back - hard-hat on - isn't C&W a type/branch of Folk music?

Plus, a few weeks ago BBC4 ran a mini-series on C&W and I watched it to better understand C&W ... up to the early 60s all was going well, I could pretty well relate to the whys and how .... then, for me it just all (well a lot of it anyway) just got a bit Rock'n'Roll. Of course all music evolves etc - but it just seemed to morph into a branch of rock or, even worse I suppose, 'pop' music!

Heresay? ....Or does that make me a C&W purist?

Edit - Apart from Marty whathisname (plays mando' and has a "unique" style in clothes imo) and Garth Brooks(?) I couldn't name a current C&W star/artist.

8. BigDaddyLH

Of course, *cough* Albertans are the Americans of Canada *cough*

moose, Driver3, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  9. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

It always was more of an american thing, we did have the odd country star over here but largely they all came from there.

Antmax, RadioFM74 and xtelesquirex like this.
  10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

Actually, I believe there are a higher percentage of Americans living in Alberta than any other Canadian province. All the ones I've met here have been nice people.

11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I think Americana as a genre is popular in Europe. C&W (as in the Grand Ole Opry) not so much.

RomanS, Grateful Ape, stinkey and 2 others like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

That, too. I'm just saying: cowboy hats and country music. A-and you guys eat more beef than tofu!

13. xtelesquirex

That's the other thought I've had: At what point did American music depart from it's roots in European traditional folk and classical music? Or how did that influence evolve into C&W music? I suppose the development of American identity in general is quite a mysterious topic.

41144 likes this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Country music has its fans in the UK, especially in Scotland and Ireland, I believe. Not surprising, as country and bluegrass are based largely on British and Irish folk music. Nothing new under the sun.

15. xtelesquirex

What is considered Americana? Blues and Jazz perhaps? Or do you mean in general, the 'popular' entertainment industry from the US?

16. xtelesquirex

Ohh, wonderful! That answers part of my question about where C&W has its roots. Thank you!

hemingway likes this.
  17. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

In Ireland country music is VERY popular, one of the biggest "scandals" here in the last few years was Garthgate:

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/4141132/garth-brooks-croke-park-scandal-revisited/

Then we have a number of singers who play country music, generally with an Irish tilt but still lots of pretend American accents going on. Here's an example (actually by an Englishman), and yes I know people hate the song but it was the first one I thought of:

Then in the past few years you have what I consider to be our answer to your country pop, still lots of American accents but tends to be young women:

GFrank, stormsedge and xtelesquirex like this.
  18. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I would say Country music is a deeply unpopular genre in the U.K.

The odd cross over or pop-country tunes get a bit of air play on the radio but that’s about it.

I love the guitar playing but generally can’t stand the style of singing. It literally makes me want to throw something at the stereo.

The blues, Which I would count as an American genre, has been and continues to be far more popular here.

Go figure.

Antmax, RoyBGood, drlucky and 5 others like this.
  19. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Just to add to my last response for context, 400,000 people having tickets to Garth Brooks is nearly 10% of the country....

GFrank and xtelesquirex like this.
  20. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

There was some guy in Slovakia (or thereabouts) a few years back who had videos on YouTube. He was a country music nut (in a good way) and had one of the finest collections of Fender Custom shop guitars I've ever seen. So there is at least one big fan in eastern Europe.

xtelesquirex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.