A question for folks with collector grade vintage gear...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by hellopike, Feb 11, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I blame forums and ebay.

2. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

ya and the dam dentists even want to know what guage strings they are playing ha ha

3. Kloun

Kloun TDPRI Member

My dentist has a '69 Les Paul Custom in his office along with a marshall. I brought in my '74 Les Paul Custom for him to check out when I was going in for a tooth replacement (synthetic tooth) last month. However, to be fair, my dentist is also a gigging musician in a band. (Obviously the guitar playing is a sideline, but he's actually a good guitarist).

The moral of the story is: Yes, dentists are buying up your vintage guitars!

EDIT:
    To be responsive to the original post...I have guitars that are vintage...and I play them, and don't care if it picks up a scratch or dent because my "vintage" stuff is already "relic'ed". Natural wear just adds to the coolness of it IMHO. If I had a pristine mint condition vintage guitar...I would probably sell it to get a "player grade" guitar that I would not feel bad about beating up.

My dentist's '69 LP Custom he had refinished by Gibson (factory refin) and looks like new. He does gig with it. However, he's playing mostly acoustic so the LP doesn't get that much use.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  4. galtjunk

galtjunk TDPRI Member

I have a near mint 53 Tele.
    I have never seen one in better condition, and I have seen a lot of them.
    I don't play it every day but I do play it.
    I bought a 52 RI with a set of Bardens in it to play most of the time.
    There is a picture of the blackguard in my avatar and in the media section under galtjunk.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

People should just do what they want ,- it is their stuff
    Doesn't matter how valuable it is , it's for them to decide
    There is a good chance that many of the people that own pristine vintage pieces have a lot of them around.
    For me , as an on-looker , I really love the players out there . Threads where an old dog of a guitar gets fixed up , are really cool. Mint guitars can be seen in museums , and in old pictures , the survivors are all unique...
    Have any of you seen the video of Yngwie Hammerjammer dragging out an old Strat from his collection ? He is literally dragging in out between guitars and stands , bang , clunk , " Here it is ".........that one made me uncomfortable , LOL.....

6. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i would put the wad of cash into savings too... i,d buy a vintage guitar especially a tele
    i play all of my vintage guitars from poor all the way up to excellent condition. however a mint one or near mint has to be looked at because of its rarity and high value as strictly an investment in my opinion. how many mint or near mint black guard teles have you seen? i dont play my mint stuff i have awesome ones with a bit of wear that play and sound great. i,m actually thinking about selling my mint stuff and doing somthing else with the money. guitars are also an investment..thats just how it is.

Skamania and Crashbelt like this.
  7. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

I get that view. Ì recently sold my minty valuable 335 and got an equally good one from the same year but not a rare colour, with a few small dings that I can enjoy playing without worrying.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Some examples of technology and Art should be preserved for the future generations to see what the past was like ... that's why we have museums, and some of those collected instruments should end up in a museum rather than be worn out and damaged in the hands of a hobbyist player, or a pro either. We'd have no notion of our past if no one had the wisdom and determination to establish and maintain collections and museums.

9. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

thats not how it happens, there are mint guitars and beaters that sound great.
    some guitars were owned by people with 'real' jobs and just never got played.
    i do think a well played in guitar will have a better feeling neck, however great guitars (and dogs) come in all levels of condition. also collectors dont buy just mint guitars. there are dozens of ways people put collections together. i chose to have a couple variations from several manufacturers, most arent big dollar guitars but vintage and awesome. am i a collector? yes. an investor? yes. also i play them. win win win.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.