A question for/about women guitarists

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by christhee68, Dec 20, 2016.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Two years ago I had the chance to run sound for a 3/4 Female Rock Band for a studio shoot at my local Cable Access Station.
    The Guitarist and the Drummer (both Female) worked at our Local GC.
    Their knowledge of all-things Gear was very impressive.

The Guitarist was very slight but, she was rocking a non-weight relieved LP DeLuxe.
    The Drummer, who was no bigger, had a beautiful set of DW's and didn't miss a beat.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my closest lady friend came up for a visit last night from the city and brought her tenor Uke up.... she has a collection of them ... even a Tele Uke I bought for her...

we spent a lot of time talking about the different tunings/string sizes she uses... and finding different chord fingerings for each tuning....

Cool talking about notes/chords and which notes make up the different chord structures along the fretboard....

and she plays Uke OK with nails.....;)

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

1955 has a new thread coming out, Guess if I'm Male or Female?

Tremade and FenderGyrl like this.
  4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I think it depends on the individual.

One of the most creative (and versatile) guitarists I know happens to be female - and the only thing she has any vague 'GAS' for is a purple PRS double-cut, because it's radically different to the thinline Tele I put together for her.

Another female musician I know seems to have every guitar / recording gadget going.

FWIW, they both have short fingernails.

5. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Oh my....
    Where to begin.

I have had GAS ever since I was little! I learned early on that in order to get a grip on being able to play the way I wanted to I needed the right equipment. It helped that I had three uncles close to my age who were all musicians. Heck, one of my Uncles bought me my first Les Paul in 1976 on the condition I pay him back. He saw that I was really into playing and was pretty good at it. My other uncle found a 50 Watt Marshall Half stack for around that same time.

I always spent my time with guys refurbishing and repairing guitars. When I was touring with my band I had to learn about PA Systems...

Now that I am older I know what I want and have really thinned out my heard. But I still GAS. Right now I am getting into Classical Guitar, and I am GASSING for a Godin / MIDI Classical Guitar - around $1600!

I guess it depends on the personality... I know a few gals who play pretty well, but they don't care to work on their equipment. They know what they want to hear, they find their sound, they are good to go. Me... I am always chasing the next evolution of my playing. But I am older than most of the gals I know who are players. They will come to me for advice on Gear and Tone and Set Ups, etc...and I gladly help them. I just fixed an acoustic for a local gal. I have another gals Classical Guitar that I am working on at the Local Music Store (Which I have my own key to now!) Like I said, they know what they want but they are more interested in playing and writing music...computer recording is where their heads are at. The times they are a changin'...

Me... I just picked up a Classic Vibe Tele that I am loving (LOL)

Also, I find that the women players are better students in regard to learning. They seem to zero in on what they want to learn and really work on it. The guys I am teaching kind of bounce around between genres too much IMO. Nothing wrong with being well rounded, but sometimes you have to finish what you start before moving on ya know?

FG

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife, the bass player, gets GAS just as much as me. She may research things even more than me, but sometimes is more spontaneous about purchasing music gear. She is getting into guitars now, but the GAS has not changed whatsoever. Her acquisition habits are probably more healthy than mine though.

BTW, I practice more.:D

I did take advantage of her once and traded an old POS SS guitar amp for one of her fantastic playing basses that was a bit too heavy for her and with a little neck dive.:p I hope she never reads this though.:rolleyes:

soulman969 and dlew919 like this.
  7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mrs. STring Tree is ALL things in the Kitchen.
    Lord have Mercy, she has one of everything! In some cases, TWO!
    Then there is her Sewing room...

Maybe it is just as well that she isn't in to Guitars the way I am

El Tele Lobo and soulman969 like this.
  8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

There is this chick on my fsce book page shes really good shes in a band she a lefty and she plays a les paul

Guitarteach likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

https://m.facebook.com/hellsbellesusa
    I pity the fool who has the poor judgment to add "...for a girl..." to any compliment after the Belles burn it down.
    Local girls doin' it right...
    Peace - Deeve

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

yer startin' trouble boy!

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

GF: teach me to play guitar.
    Me: ok go cut your nails.
    GF: Why?
    Me: Because you can't play guitar with long fingernails.
    GF: Dolly Parton does.
    Me: No she doesn... I'll make dinner.

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

There are plenty of women (ahem!) that GAS over guitar stuff, "window shop" on Warmoth and USACG, and obsess over the latest and greatest grossly-overpriced pedals just like any other guitar player. Myself, I've been poking around Stratosphere's site the past few days looking at Allparts necks, and I'm getting serious GAS for a Kramer Pacer-style body from KnE (seriously, I have the COOLEST idea that I've never seen done before, but it'll probably have to wait till spring ;).) I've also posted a couple build threads myself, but that's nothing compared to our own Lisa Bridenstine who has been building some really cool guitars the past few years (as in, completely from raw lumber!)

Oh yeah, the woman that StewMac has had in a few of their videos recently (Chelsea Clark)? She owns her own repair shop. Plus there's Mamie Minch, who runs a repair shop in New York and is a pretty great guitarist herself.

This all before we even get into the players, and anyone who's watched a Rig Rundown with Nita Strauss knows that she's as much of a gear nerd as anyone else. Same with Nancy Wilson, Samantha Fish, Orianthi and especially Jennifer Batten, among many others. These are women who are not only great musicians, but will geek out over guitar stuff just like any guy would!

I'm reminded of a great anecdote from the late, great Lemmy. He told a story about how, when Motorhead took Girlschool out on tour, some other somewhat famous musician came up and said to him, "They play pretty well for a bunch of girls." Lemmy responded,"What do you mean 'for girls', man? They play better than you ever have!!"

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder if the sheer numbers of players in the Austin region makes the topic too common to bother with. I remember you telling a story not long after you moved to Texas about getting your nails done. Back in Indianapolis, having different lengths on each hand would always get a common, but you said that in Austin, the person doing your nails just said, "Guitar player?" It was no big deal. Would that also be true about getting a new guitar or a new amp? No big deal?

MandyMarie likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Here, and at Strat-Talk and Gretsch-Talk too.

william tele likes this.
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Lemmy was a national treasure and is sorely missed.
    :(

Ranchand23 and scottser like this.
  16. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I think you hit the nail on the head! And you have so many friends that play, the news isn't excitedly directed at just one person. In Austin a banker barely bats an eye if you put "musician" on a loan application haha. I'm a total product of my environment though and as I'm soon to be moving to England (I leave on the 30th of this month), my passion for gear is about to be reignited. MY AMP! I have John's Fox and I have a custom made De Leisle. I've been so crazy happy with those amps for the last six years that I haven't even glimpsed at anything else. NOW I gotta deal with the voltage difference and I'm just going to buy something else. That's going to push me into becoming a gearhead once again :)

I find the more I actually gig, the less I think about gear - I get real satisfied with what I have and I get comfortable with using it. And I guess I'm focused on its upkeep.

Playing upright bass has me in a total gear frame of mine though, I have to admit! Life is strange isn't it? :)

kelnet, El Tele Lobo and william tele like this.
  17. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I think to be a great player one has to have a obsessive personality to some degree. So the girls who are WAY into music are going to be just as obsessed with gear as the guys are.

18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

19. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I don't know if she's a gearhead but last weekend I saw the Screaming Females for the first time (one woman, two men) and their guitar player, Marissa Paternoster, absolutely blew me away. FANTASTIC rock playing and great vocals, and she got a killer sound out of a couple of Strats and an amp I couldn't identify. She sounded so amazingly good I'd bet that she is extremely knowledgeable and particular about her gear.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

She's not a gear head per Se. She doesn't know the details of her guitar apart from it's a telecaster.

She is an excellent musician though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.