A question about valves..

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nick79, Mar 15, 2015.

1. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

Hi guys, my first post here (i've been lurking for a while), and it's about valves..

I have a Blackstar HT1r, only just got it, i love it and for the price i paid (£90) i'm seriously chuffed.

Anyway, rooting through my shed the other day i came across a few old valves that i was given a while ago when i had a Marshall DSL. I was told they were working, but i haven't access to a valve tester so i can't confirm.

There are 2 Mullard ECC83, a Brimar ECC83 (which i believe i could use in my Blackstar) and an Edicron El34.

i guess my question is is there a simple way to check these still work? My knowledge of electronics is pretty sparse, so i don't really just want to plug them in and see.

Just idely wondering if they are any use to me,
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Pop them in one at a times, and see what happens
    Cant really hurt anything. I would try them all in the first spot one after one first

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The ECC883's should be fine, the EL34 in all likelihood, would need to be re-Biased.
    The Tube itself may be fine, but if it isn't Biased properly, it could harm your other Output Tube and possibly some of the Components in your Amp.

~ ST

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Just pop ecc83 in, one at a time, keep amp so you can watch tube as you power it on, watch for tube glowing purple (air in tube) or sparks, plate glowing red (shorts) and be ready to shut it off. Make sure you use right slot, the 12au7/ecc82 power tube leave it alone.

If it seems ok, turn up and listen for crackles, many old tubes will do that for a bit when 1st powered back up after being unused for a long time, but it will go away after a bit. Then tap tube with chopstick or pencil, listening for tinks and thumps coming out of speaker, if so you've got a microphonic tube.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Sorry, didn't see you mentioning the el34

6. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

Thanks very much for the help guys, i really appreciate it.
    I wasn't sure if i would damage my amp if i plugged the ECC83's in if they are faulty, but i'll give it a go now i've had the go ahead.

I've just checked via the Blackstar site and the EL34 isn't used in my amp, so i'll forget about that one for now.

Thanks again guys, i'll report back with my findings.
    Nick

7. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Keep in mind, it's always best to know the condition of tubes before using them. So, if you can find a tube tester make sure you test them for strength and shorts at a minimum.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Your power tube is a little 12au7/ecc82, looks just like your preamp tube. If you can dig up a old Heerlen holland made Philips, they will blow your mind at how go they sound in these little power amps, and their sturdy, long lasting too. You'll be burning through that cheap crap that came in amp about every 2 years. Pain in that amp, eleven screws to get in it if I remember correctly.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.