A question about the balance between the bridge and neck pickup's volume.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

On one of my original songs I'm recording separate tracks using the bridge only pickup on one track, and using only the neck pickup on the other track, with both tracks playing the same riff (I'm trying to decide which tone suits the song better).

From a waveform perspective, the bridge only track waveform is noticeably larger than the neck pickup track.

Besides the audible/waveform difference in volume, ideally should the two pickups's volume be as close as possible?

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

For me, yes. I suggest adjusting pickup height accordingly.

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees :)

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Telecentric likes this.
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep, unless requested otherwise of one of my builds, I set the bridge pup where I want it and then use a decibel meter to measure it and set the neck as close to the same as I can get.

Some people want the bridge a little louder for a boost in volume when doing leads.

Eric

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There is peak volume and “perceived” volume - sort of RMS, but not really as the way our ears perceive things are a bit different. There are a few standard ways to calculate perceived “loudness” used by mastering engineers.

All of that aside, as a guitar player, I like the output of my bridge pickup noticeably higher than the output of my neck pickup. I always play with a little bit of breakup and set my pickups so the bridge is nice an crunchy when I play aggressively, but noticeably cleaner (and bluesier) when when I switch to the neck. Now if I play my amp completely clean, the pickups sound unbalanced, but the way I have my amp set, the heavier crunch compresses the bridge signal more so it evens out. Works amazingly well for me, but YMMV!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.