A question about single-coil Pups on a Standard Tele (MIM)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LouBehr333, Sep 7, 2019.

1. LouBehr333

LouBehr333 TDPRI Member

I just bought a 2012 Stadard Tele with single-coil pickups. Standard 3 position switch.

Am trying to determine if the middle position is supposed to noise cancel like my other single coil guitars. Both my Godin (2 P90s) and my Player Series Strat noise cancel when Pups are combined. This Telecaster doesn’t.

Is it a fault? Or are they just built this way?

I understand that in order to noise cancel, the windings have to be reversed on one of the Pups. I guess I could just be lucky that my other guitars do noise cancel.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Standard 3 way switch teles have no noise cancelling position. Others my have found instances I am not aware of. Actually I am usually unaware even of where I am so I could really be wrong.

Eric

coloradojeff likes this.
  3. LouBehr333

LouBehr333 TDPRI Member

I figured that’s the case. After doing some research, I think for true noise cancelling you need your member pickups to be close in size and specifications. I haven’t found specs to back this up, but just looking at these pups it’s pretty obvious that they are quite different. So makes sense that they’re not set up for noise cancelling functionality.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hum cancelling due to RWRP on dissimilar pickups (like tele set) is maybe not as effective as it is in a humbucker, but it's still pretty effective. I wonder if in fact the pickups you have are not RWRP.

kbold likes this.
  5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

>the windings have to be reversed on one of the Pups<

They have to have opposite polarity, and reverse connections ( wind don't matter per se)

>I think for true noise cancelling you need your member pickups to be close in size and specifications<

Not true either.

Take a compass to each pickup top and see if it points south or north in each.

Welcome to the forum !!

moosie and eallen like this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I believe some Tele pup sets have one of the pups RWRP to the other. I think also that some sets are simply "reverse wound" with same "magnetic polarity" and still other sets are same wound/same polarity! I hope this has made it all clearer than mud?

Just My $.02
    Gene

7. LouBehr333

LouBehr333 TDPRI Member

I’m trying to figure out how a stock standard telecaster is supposed to behave. Should it cancel hum when in the middle position or not? Perhaps I should pose this question to Fender tech support.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage type Telecasters (up to CBS era 80s) didn't but anything from Corona or Ensenada should except for vintage types (50s/60s Classics, AV, OV or possibly the latest PV). The only exceptions IIRC are Nocaster and Texas Specials and some custom shop types.

All standards since 86 should be AFAIK. You can download an app that will show orientation of magnets. Fender usually use South on neck and North on bridge but it's not a rule. If they're not RWRP they're possibly not standard. Depending on the year they may be ceramic bar magnets.

They will still not noise cancel as good as covered humbuckers.

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. sjtalon

I'm not sure what year they changed the pickups again, but if yours are what they started using in 2006, then they are ceramic bar mag. types and NOT noise reducing (NR).

I'm leaning towards yours being the ceramic's. I'm thinking they were using them up to the new MIM available now, NAMM 2018-that being the Player, with alnico V's. Don't know if they are a NR set.

Then again, the thing not known is if the ones in yours are original ??

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Yes, it should. Your guitar's previous owner must have replaced at least one of the pickups.

11. sjtalon

They what would they have been ?

12. LutherBurger

I'm not sure I understand the question, but perhaps the pickups in there now are not a matched set; or maybe they are, but not a RWRP set (e.g., Original Vintage). The stock pickups in a Standard should cancel hum in switch position 2.

A compass, as you suggested, and a peek under the hood would clear this up.

41144 likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Plug a pedal cable or the guitar cable into the guitar and clip on an ohm meter set on low voltage scale.

Take a steel object like a screwdriver shaft parallel to the pickup face and bring it 'at' the pickup watching what the meter reads, then pull the screwdriver 'away' and watch what the meter reads. Do this on both pickups. One pickup should show +at and -away while the other shows -at and +away. Anything else and someone may have mismatched the pickups. If they show opposite voltage out then in the middle position they will be hum canceling.

The other thing that can happen ... poor cavity shielding or that Fender likes to use two wires to the jack instead of shielded cable which allows noise to enter the output signal -- same reason we use shielded cable from the guitar to the amp.

14. sjtalon

Ops, sorry re-read my post and see I should have done better proofing............should have read:

THEN what would they have been ?

Question meaning if you would know what pickups SHOULD have been in it. As I said in my post, I'm not sure when they replaced the ceramics (other than the current Player). Ceramics are both North top.

So IF they still used the ceramics in 2012, then they WOULD NOT BE noise reduction, if original of course.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  15. sjtalon

MIM's have had body cavity shield paint since the upgrade of 2006.

I'm not a believer in 6" of wire shielding doing jack for noise reduction.

Thinking of the meter trick...............does that not require a needle type meter to notice anything ?

16. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Are they the original pickups?
    I believe in the middle position a 2012 MiM should have some noise cancelling, pretty sure there's reverse winding on one pickup but... Replacement pickups can be a real pain for not being wound the same ways as Fender originals.

17. LouBehr333

LouBehr333 TDPRI Member

I believe they are. I know the guy I bought it from didn't change them. Perhaps the previous owner.

I did open a ticket with Fender support to see what they say. Will pass it along once I get an answer.

18. LouBehr333

LouBehr333 TDPRI Member

So I did get an answer from Fender support.

NOT hum cancelling on Standards

LouB

19. LutherBurger

Hmm...

Thanks for letting us know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.