A question about pedal steel guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ClydeCCR, Sep 26, 2021.

1. ClydeCCR

ClydeCCR TDPRI Member

Hi y'all I before opened a thread about the pedal steels, it helped me so much, but I got a problem,I really can't decide which PSG I would buy, I've decided buy an used professional model, not a student model, I really love 2 brands: Emmons and Sho Bud, I really love the 60's-70's country and I don't know exactly which buy... Can you recommend me some steel too?
    I seen many Sho Bud's models and I dont know what they have,im new on this...
    By the other side, I like Emmons steels but I have seen they are expensive.

drewg and Boreas like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

My friend likes his ShoBud, but can't play it. Yet I can't convince him to sell it to someone who at least may have a chance to learn PS before they go to the great gig in the sky.

I doubt either brand would be a mistake as long as you learn to play it well!

Maguchi and drewg like this.
  3. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood Tele-Meister

I first grabbed a Carter Starter, but that thing was reel creeky, and cheap, then was lucky to find this old Sho Bud locally for a steal, ....yeah, puns.

Anyway, it's about a '72-74 I think, set to E9 (that I sometimes play round with a la Daniel Lanois tuning-a little less trad 'country'), 3 pedals, 3 knees, but one of the knee levers is tuned strange and basically unusable for anything that I've been able to find using it...I think the model MAY be an old early Maverick or Pro I, but I think these were marketed in Canada under Baldwin....?? Got some rudimentary basic lessons, which I highly recomend and it sure is a 'dance' to play with all the limbs going, ain't like riding a bike...I know my limitations with it, but it's fun all the same. It takes TIME and effort to learn not only the subtle foot and hand work, slide accuracy, but also the chord 'grips' on the strings....and my time and effort with that ebbs and flows as I mainly play guitar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    drewg and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Go over to the Steel Guitar Forum if you haven't already. Tons of information and opinions there.
    I have a 70's Excel, MIJ. It's about 1/2 the weight of a ShoBud. The pedals are easier to press, too.

Here is a single neck version for not too much $$. It's about the year mine is, and the mechanics are great and easy to work on.
    https://reverb.com/item/14774721-vintage-mij-excel-pedal-steel-guitar-10-string-3-pedal

You may need to swap out the pickup to get a brighter tone.

ClydeCCR likes this.
  5. ClydeCCR

ClydeCCR TDPRI Member

Yeah, I visited their page but i can't see the price

6. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

They show $599 and $80 shipping in US. I have no idea if they would ship to Spain but they are a good store.
    I won't be in Spokane for a couple weeks, but if I can see it I'll give you a report when I get there. At that price it might go fast.

7. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

Looks like it just sold. Was that you?

ClydeCCR likes this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a late 60s Sho Bud Pro 1, it was a beautiful thing, but it needed a lot of TLC. I bought it as a project guitar, and it was a tremendous learning experience.

The things are mechanical monsters, and parts for the older instruments can be a challenge. A lot depends on your budget and your ability to do the necessary repairs. If you're buying a guitar with problems, do some research on it before plunking down your money.

If you're buying a working instrument, make sure you see it set up and functioning. If you make the deal, have the owner show you how to break it down and pack it. Don't get excited over the number of levers and pedals. If you're buying a basic guitar with three or four pedals, and a couple of levers it'll keep you busy for a while. You can always add pedals and levers. You want to be sure you get the correct, functional case for the instrument.

Here's the thread I did on the Sho Bud"

Sho Bud Pro 1 Project. | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

10. ClydeCCR

ClydeCCR TDPRI Member

I mean the official Excel page

11. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Sorry. Owner is Mistuo Fuji and he's a really nice guy.
    https://fuzzypsg.com/int/

If you're looking to order a new one, you probably need to get a quote from Mr. Fuji.
    They're not cheap.

I checked on the Steel Guitar Forum. The consensus is there is not a US dealer anymore.
    They do show up used from time to time. I've had mine for about 25 years. Still can't play it worth a darn, but it's fun. I had a Fender 400 and the tone was killer but the mechanism was challenging. Once I got the Excel sounding close to the Fender (rolled my own pickups), I sold the Fender.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.