A question about my Peavey Delta Blues 210

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fndrman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. fndrman

fndrman TDPRI Member

Recently I bought a used Peavey Delta Blues 210. This thing is supposed to be a killer blues amp, but whenever I plug in my Tele or Epiphone Swingster (equipped with Gretsch style filtertrons) I can't get the clarity that I usually get with my HR Deluxe. Would a re-tube solve that? Or do those amps usually sound muddier than Fenders? Thanks.

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

A few ideas: Small room? Double coils? Playing at low volumes? Forgot to bring the bass down, and the treble and mids up? Used to icepick, and now everything else sounds muddy?

3. fndrman

fndrman TDPRI Member

Well, I tried them side by side with pretty much the same settings. Maybe the DB just needs to be cranked a little more.....just maybe.

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a Delta Blues and a Classic 30. In my experience, new tubes make a world of difference in these amps. Really woke them up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    fndrman likes this.
  5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

With my tele I have the bass at 11:00 and mids & highs at 2:00. Plenty of clarity. How is your's set?

lineboat and fndrman like this.
  6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

You might want to look at the speakers. A speaker change will greatly alter the character of this amp.
    Pre-amp tubes will influence it a bit as will pwr tubes. Tubes will make a difference initially ... after around 100 hrs you will notice little or no difference between different pwr tubes unless you find some top of the line NOS 6bq5's they tend to sound "new" longer at least in my experience. Be careful not all modern amps are compatible with NOS 6bq5 types. How beat up are the tubes? In my experience modern EL84's don't hold up well if you push them hard ... like most of us do.
    I would try a different set of speakers. and re tube it. This is a very good amp all by it's self. There are tendencies to compare it with similar Fenders which it ain't. So if you are expecting Fender buy a Fender.

PU's of course are a big factor. Some amps don't like some PU's but that is something you find out when you test drive the amp. Which is one of the reasons I only buy an amp after a test drive with the axe I am going to use.

Good luck.

fndrman likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

There's a big difference between 6L6's and EL84's. The HRD is a loud amp too. I think you may find your zone , but the settings may be quite different between the amps. If you are used to playing the HRD fairly loud, the DB may never get you there. Mine wouldn't get me there in a 5 piece blues band with 2 guitars. Today it would though I'm sure, but we were pretty loud 12 years ago.

fndrman likes this.
  8. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

It's not a Fender and you can't set it on the same settings and expect them to sound the same. Turn those knobs. It's not muddy by nature.

fndrman, bo and Marc Morfei like this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have a DB210. It definitely EQs differently than a Fender amp. I found a speaker swap made a big difference in the Peavey. I put an EMI Ragin Cajun in there and it sounds awesome. Getting ready to stick a Weber in the other side.

fndrman likes this.
  10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Tweak those knobs. Treble/mid/bass all set on 7 is a very different sound than all set on 3. Lower settings tend to be thicker. Get some decent tubes and a pair of nice speakers. WGS Veteran 10's are very popular "American-voiced" speakers for only $50 a whack.

fndrman likes this.
  11. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

I have one, I found it too dark/muddy with HBs but it should be good with a Tele.

fndrman likes this.
  12. fndrman

fndrman TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. I typically set my HRD with the Bass a 7, the Mid at 7, and the Treble at 7 or 8. I set the DB basically the same. Maybe I'll just have to tweak a bit more. Having said that, my guitar repair guy sold me a JBL K 140 15" speaker. I plan to try that out. I just have to make a new baffle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.