A Quest! Looking for my 70s SG Special!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hacksaw, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

As I'm entering my 4th week of working from home and have plenty of time, I've decided to embark on a quest of locating my first "good" guitar.
    A late 70's SG Special, purchased new from Trombino's Music in Belle Vernon PA in I believe 1976. It originally had the black plastic covers on the mini humbuckers that I replaced with chrome along with a brass tailpiece and bridge and if I remember correctly Schaller tuners. When I sold it sometime in the early 80s, 83-84 in Pittsburgh, it had faded to almost orange where my arm contacted the upper body along with the back of the neck. It had some readily identifiable marks as well that I can use to confirm it was mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

[​IMG]

Zepfan and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I think your chances of finding it, are slim especially intact without having been refinished/repaired/stripped of your parts, you can always have hope though.

I think it would be super cool if you find it especially if someone here knows of it

I had a takamine jumbo that I wish I never sold, wonder where it’s at

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm no help at all but I wish you well in your quest.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

do your know the serial number?-that might help- I've got one with dot inlays so its not your old one-maybe post an ad in vintage guitar magazine?

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

If the serial number is anywhere it would be in my parent's house that I moved out of 41 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's long gone. I posted on an SG forum a while ago as well. I know it's a long shot but I figured I've got little to loose.

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Have you posted want ads in your local Craigslist or other online bulletin boards?

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Haven't gone so far as CL add since I moved out of Western PA 37 years ago. I have posted here, the SG forum and mylespaul forum, hoping for some luck within the guitar community.

8. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Wow, you guys loved your Gibbys! Seriously, Hacksaw, I too wish you luck on this quest. That looks like it was a "schweet" SG indeed! I made disposition of my '73 Strat a few years back, and although it was for a good cause, I sometimes wish I still had it!

Zepfan likes this.
  9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

it would be a miracle if you found it, but miracles do happen. I wish you success in your search.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  10. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I still have my old Special,bought new in 71. It's gone from red to brown!

Good luck with your search man.

Bill Sheehan and Hacksaw like this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Wish you all the luck.

I still have my first(avatar) because it doesn't have a serial number. Had to sell off all my gear to fund a house purchase, no one wanted it in it's original condition and the pawn shop wouldn't buy it without a serial number. Glad I still have it, but I really miss a couple of the guitars I sold.

Hacksaw and Bill Sheehan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.