1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A public service announcement.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mickeydean, Jul 30, 2014.

1. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

Yet another friend of mine just died of lung cancer. HE DIDN'T SMOKE. Neither did the others or they quit many, many years ago. This friend of mine ran 5 miles a day, everyday, for the past 20 years. What they all had in common is a lifetime of playing in smokey night clubs 7 nites a week for 30 to 40 years. we were all going to die young and leave a pretty corpse.

It doesn't work like that. If like me you are or were a working musician over 50, GET ANNUAL CHECK UPS. that stuff they told us about 2nd hand smoke? it turns out it's true. It sucks to die. There is nothing romantic about it.

PSA ended. Go about your business.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sorry about your friend. An annual check up is always a good idea.

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

doctor told me my heart and lungs sound good.

At my age, going to the doctor frightens me a little.
    Even though I'm in okay shape.

4. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

same here..I get butterfly's in my stomach and my blood pressure shoots sky high the day before and the morning of my appointment..

5. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by studio

After getting cancer every single Dr. Appointment is an anxiety filled horror show for me. I'm always happy to be walking out rather than being admitted to a hospital for further procedures.

Very sorry about your friend.

6. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I am very sorry to hear of your friend passing.
    Twenty years in smoke-filled bars certainly didn't do him any good. Those are pretty extreme conditions.

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Cancer is also hereditary as well.

Some folks are predisposed to get it.

There are many folks who played in smoky clubs over the years and have not had cancer.

Sorry about your friend

8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

My doc said my BP was high. I told him it was because my appointments were at 7 in the AM. He didn't believe me until I had an appointment at 3pm, and all was well.

9. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Yes working in bars up above the people on a raised stage is 2nd hand smoke magnified.

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Lung cancer is a cancer that is almost exclusively linked to smoking. Of course not everyone exposed to smoke gets lung cancer. But pretty much everyone who gets lung cancer has had heavy exposure to cigarette smoke.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not to take away from the warnings about cigarette smoke, but there is also radon gas:

On average, 16% of lung cancer deaths are attributable to radon exposure in Canada. In 2006, an estimated 1,900 lung cancer deaths in Canada were due to radon exposure. Radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer, after smoking.

The sad thing about radon exposure is that it is entirely preventable. But then, so is smoking.

12. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Chandler died at 45 of lung cancer and never smoked. He played at USC and the NFL for 12 years as a reciever.

13. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

Had my check-up this spring, the only thing the doc found was that my cholesterol level was a little bit high. I smoked for close to 40 years, quit in January, been on E-Cig since then. I think it is Genetic, my father died at 78 of natural causes,and he'd been smoking Zig-Zag tobacco since he was 12.

14. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Whether smoking increases the risk of cancer or not surely isn't a point anybody still disputes in this day and age.

Sure, you may know old guys who've lived long lives and are smokers, but they do tend to be more noticeable than the hundreds of others already in the ground

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.