1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Product That really Works For Gum Pain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZackyDog, Oct 11, 2015.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I hadn't flossed in awhile, but somehow, I managed to get a gum infection.
    It was really painful for the last few days, and the salt water baths and aspirin treatments seemed to give me only minor relief.

I could barely eat, only on the right side of my mouth. As you probably know, food doesn't taste as good when you're in a situation like this. It was time for some serious OTC pain relief.

I spotted this on the shelves at Walgreen's. Not the most impressive looking, compared to the name brands like Orajel, but it had an old world, industrial strength feel about it.

[​IMG]
    This stuff is amazing and cheap (~5.99). It performed exactly as advertised. It numbed up the pain area very quickly. I applied it one more time a couple hours later and I was literally cured (!)

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thanks. Pain is the worst thing in the world, as far as I am concerned. People don't usually take the time to recommend a product unless it really, really works.

3. Outspan79

Outspan79 Tele-Meister

Clove oil. Tastes vile, burns like a strong chilli pepper but really works and where tooth/gum pain are concerned, its the lesser of two evils.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I think sarcasm is actually worse than pain, and the schmucks who spout sarcasm.

5. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I have a high pain threshold, probably from burning the palms of both hands when I was 2 years old (third degree burns, and surgeries- including full thickness skin grafts- every 3 months on one hand or the other from the time I was 4 or 5 until I was a freshman in high school). But mouth pain is the worst.

I can't handle that kind of pain. A few years ago, I had the priviledge of having root canals on 4 consecutive Tuesdays. First one abscessed on Saturday night at work, and I couldn't get in to see my dentist until Tuesday. After the first root canal she prescribed antibiotics, and when the second tooth abscessed, the antibiotics kept the infection at bay for DAYS.

The first one, the infection killed the nerve in less than a day.

Hardest part was keeping my mouth open as wide as it needed to be (TMJ) for several hours while the old root was scraped out. After two weeks of that, the crowns going on was like heaven compared to what I'd been through.

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I think Larry and others who live with chronic pain would tend to disagree about that point.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Seems to me flossing would have prevented it in the first place. Gum infections start when things get stuck and start to decay.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

No, no. I've been suffering from debilitating chronic nerve pain for 9 years, as a result of nerve damage caused by CIDP (long words). I've tried everything the docs suggested. Only two months ago, was I finally able to find something that I could rely on to knock down the pain within a half hour. The pain, though, is still too severe and omni-present to allow me to walk unaided for more than a few feet. I would welcome knowing about anything that is effective against pain, if not for me, then for others. Pain can ruin lives.

I'm sorry that what I said before came off as sarcasm.

9. Chud

That was actually one of my first thoughts as well, but I figured the guy was in pain so I didn't want to come off as sarcastic or anything.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

I'm not trying to be an @$$, but his post left me scratching my head. If you don't do the thing that prevents it, you can't be surprised when it occurs.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I agree but I maintain that the inflammation and infection were caused by flossing. For the last 7+ years, my gums have been in good shape.

And I apologize if I misread you, Larry.

Sorry to hear about what you have had to endure; I hope you and the doctors continue to make strides to eliminate or, at least alleviate, your chronic pain.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments. I enjoyed reading them and I can relate to your pain.

12. Chud

No no, I know. I kind of was though after the OPs misreading of Larry's post, but only a mild @$$ at best.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

If that's so, you're doing it wrong. Don't jam it or force it. If you flossed correctly whereas you didn't previously, and started getting bleeding and inflammation, you've been suffering from gingivitis.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I probably am doing it wrong. But, the pain and inflammation was in a very small (<5%), isolated area.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

It sounds like something stuck.
    I get this every time I eat beef jerky... It's usually just on long road trips, and I always seem to get some stuck in my molars. Gets inflamed quickly; by the time I stop for the day I'm already feeling it. Five minutes with the floss and it's usually better by morning.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Home remedies are only going to do so much.. Go see a dentist, have him look at what's going on and write a script for antibiotics. It's only going to get worse..

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Maybe something did get stuck. It was definitely infected and probably bursted when the liquid/ointment was numbing it.

That's what I thought yesterday. But I haven't used any of liquid/jel/ointment today and I feel I am 100% healed. I'll keep an eye on it though. Just one infection can make your whole mouth feel awful.

18. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

See a periodontist and find out if you have gum disease, if you have it and don't take care of it fairly quickly,you could lose alot of teeth due to decay under your gums.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.