A pickup you totally hated?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Mark, Nov 26, 2019.

1. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Purchased a Gibson Les Paul with minibuckers years ago. Tried every setting on my guitar, on my amps, on
    my pedals, different cabs......meh....Caved in and installed some P-90's and it is much better, not great, but at least better.

2. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

I bought a Dimarzio Area 67 for middle pickup on a 3 PUP Tele and thought....meh...bland.

Replaced it with (drum roll...) a Twang King neck pickup (in middle position, you say?). Yes! and its killer!

3. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I think the Strat Tex-Mex pickups are one of the most under-rated Strat pickups available. They bring the "vintage" sound rather easily, and the slightly hotter bridge is nice as well without messing up the "2" position. I have a 57/62 set in my 50's Classic Player Strat, and that guitar sounds amazing.

Its all about what sounds you're looking for. Both of these sets bring the "vintage" sound in spades.

dajmacd and RodeoTex like this.
  4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Same thing here - turned my old tele into a second-rate almost Gibson sound. Sold it for $50 to get rid of it.

5. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I love most Duncans but the quarter pound for Tele bridge was pure mud.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya. Quarter pound forgot mfg and fat 50s

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Gatordad

Gatordad Tele-Meister

Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups that were in my 2011 FSR Players Telecaster with 25db mid boost. Those pickups were way too hot for my liking, and not as vintage to my ears. I quickly removed them along with the boost wiring harness and finally settled on Cavalier Lion King neck and Bakersfield Lion bridge pickups with no-load tone pot. World of difference.

8. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

That specific pickup came to mind immediately...I was not yet on the tele wavelength and got a us made tele, black with red tortoiseshell pickguard...excited more about the look. I wanted something to still be crunchy, so I installed that Duncan. What a dead, dull pickup. Sold the guitar and grew to appreciate the traditional sounds the more I played them. and you can get plenty of crunch from a tele single coil...

Duncan Invader - hot garbage, Duncan hotrails - worse still. Don't get me wrong, I love some Duncans still (SH2 jazz, duckbuckers, antiquity stuff, the Apollo is the best sounding Jazz bass pickup I have heard)...

9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

V-mod Tele bridge.

Ugh

10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

For me the most dramatic example of this I can remember was the DiMarzio Air Classic. It actually felt like the pickup was too far from the strings no matter what and this turned me away from anything with their Air artificial weakening until I tried a set of PAF Masters recently that I am told has the Air spacing in the neck pickup.

Now I am not sold on this set in the specific guitar yet, it's a middy PRS and the p'ups are also middy, but I don't feel the same lack of connection through the pickup as I did with the Air Classic.

11. BrokenTele

BrokenTele TDPRI Member

What don’t you like about this bridge pickup?

12. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

For me: Wooly, indistinct, characterless.
    Neck: ok. Best position: in-between.

Replaced with Areas. Now sounds like a tele

BrokenTele likes this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I recently purchased a Dimarzio Twang King Tele bridge pickup. Can't wait to get rid of it.

14. dajmacd

dajmacd TDPRI Member

Armstrong Stealth Noiseless P90. Really thick and dark sounding in the neck position of my partscaster. Swapped it out for a Duncan ‘59. Much better.

15. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Just curious- I'm looking at Tele bridge pickups and I generally love Dimarzios, so I've thought about getting the Twang King. What do you hate about this one?

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ colorless, doesn't Twang that I can find. It works, just nothing special. @jman72 .
    My experience may not be typical of course.

jman72 likes this.
  17. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Echoing the mini humbucker sentiment further up the thread. I had a perfectly nice LP Deluxe that had those and I could never get them to sound the way I wanted, I ended up selling the Deluxe.

Recently I got a guitar with 57 Classic humbuckers, and I hate them. Sorry, no offense intended if you love them. It's probably my fault somehow, but I spent waaaaay to much time with them and finally replaced them.

18. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Too bad you didn't like it. I think it's pretty good. Every so often I get an inkling that I can do better, but once I fire it up I can't let it go--it just really works well with the guitar and/or my playing style.

Maybe the name is misleading--it's not the twangiest of tele pickups, but it excels with classic rock tones.

RodeoTex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.