A pickup you totally hated?

Mark

Tele-Meister
Did you ever buy a pickup based on the hype, install it, and then couldn't wait to get it out of there? I've been through a slew of Tele pickups especially bridge pickups. Some I really liked, some were meh, but I can only think of one that I couldn't wait to get rid of...a Duncan Lil' 59. Worst Tele pickup I've ever heard. And I generally like his pickups.

scrimmer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I absolutely hated the stock pickups in my Hwy 1 tele (not a Texas tele) when I got it and replaced them with some BL Keystones.
Been in love ever since.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Some Rio Grande HB's came in a guitar I purchased once, and for some reason they really did not work with that instrument.They were too hot and sounded just shrill and ragged. To this day I cannot figure out why. Just sounded like crap. None of the replacements I used had that problem. And no kit wasn't wiring, pots, etc.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I hated the pup in the Squier Bronco Bass. It is a guitar pup, WTF? Total POS. What were they thinking?

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
I didn’t install it, but when I played the ‘57 Classics in an LP Traditional I had purchased as an upgrade platform, I really didn’t enjoy them...contrary to their stellar reputation. Spent a while adjusting to try to get a nice sound out of the middle position but couldn’t find it.

I also have a pair of Lollar Low Wind Imperials in a 335 type guitar that I’m not in love with and plan to switch them out soon. Doesn’t seem to go well in a semi-hollow, in my opinion—a little too mid-range heavy.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never had one I really hated. I like the lil 59, its a great bridge pickup for rock and lead, not so great for clean but then I have a neck pickup for that.

I wasn't really in to the tex mex bridge in my roadworn 60s strat.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Many of the used guitars I buy have SDs in them as 'an upgrade!' and I hate how muddy they are. I always swap them out for something else.

Remember, swap your pots and caps first then your pickup.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a Rio Grande P90 years ago - couldn't get it out fast enough. One overwhelming slice of mud. I guess I also didn't like the pickups on the PRS mccarty that I owned for a hot minute. Also too dark, I guess?

I think most pickups are pretty much fine, though - they're all different but mostly they have some kind of a usable sound if you are willing to turn the knobs on your amplifier.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Lollar Imperials. They are so boring and bland sounding. So polite. I like low output humbuckers, but the Imperials had zero balls.

I do love Lollar p90s, though.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Back in the mid '90's I bought a beautiful cherry red ( all mahogany) Epi LP Special ( double cutaway).

And before I even gave myself a chance to really play the guitar for a while and actually listen to the Epi P-90's ( which maybe weren't that good, but maybe they were OK?). I replaced them with Seymour Duncan Custom ( Hot) Soapbars, as that is what the music shop carried at the time.

They were just too hot ( no clean) and dark-toned and I never liked them. I just shelved the guitar for years, 'till I sold it.

I'd love a ' do-over' with that exact guitar ( it was comfy and beautiful) with stock pickups or maybe try Lollars P-90"s as I do have experience with those.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I haven't found any that I really hated but I sure haven't been impressed with the Strat Tex-Mex pickups. Adequate, but nothing special.
Same with the 57/62 set.
The CS 69s have really wowwed me though.

CDox

Tele-Meister
I bought this Knock off SG to mess around with. Idk what the pickups were “they might have been dragon fire pickups” some cheap POS humbuckers somebody had installed in it. Plugged it in for about ten seconds. Ripped them out and put them in the garbage then I installed an EVH in the bridge and a paf clone in the neck. Sounded much better. Wound up giving the guitar to my neighbor.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Duncan Quarter Pounders.
All P90s.
Rio Grande Rail Gunner.
Lace Sensors.
Every Joe Barden pickup I ever heard
More for y’all, I suppose.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
stock fender stat pickups are weak , wimpy and just nasty took me 15 years and 6 pick guards loaded to find the combo I like. but my 2 stock pick guards are the worst