1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Pawn Shop Story

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jbnaxx, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I am traveling and spent a day looking through some pawn shops for a used Strat. I found a Fender in a cluttered little shop, the price tag on it was $825. I’m thinking American Std.....no.... it was a MIM. It didn’t feel good at all and the gap at the back of the trem was huge. It sounded like plastic unplugged. At this point, I am I am pretty much in shock. The shop guy came over and asked if I was interested. I said yes, but a new MIM was about $750. He looked a little gruff and asked what I was looking to spend. I said about $350. He said that’s too low. I told him thank you and left.

I don’t think I would have given 350 for that one.... it was really fishy feeling. I wonder how he figured it was worth 825?

2. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve never had luck in pawn shops. These days , I think they just run the merchandise through eBay and set the price at the highest auction request or something.

Oldsmobum, fjblair, idjster and 3 others like this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Let's begin with the pawn. A guy walks into his shop and wants to pawn his Strat. The owner gives him $300 dollars and the pawn ticket. The guy never comes back. It's time to sell the guitar straight up. How long has it been in the owner's shop? Long enough to price it at $850, and take $600. You know what it's really worth and are looking for a deal. Were you the first person to show interest? The price comes down every month or so until he sells it for $350 unless someone really wants it. If you really wanted the guitar you would have offered more. If he really needed to sell it he would have countered at $350.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=124586378931

nojazzhere, Peegoo and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I don’t see any circumstance where a used MIM (and not a very good one) gets priced higher than a new one.That means dishonesty to me.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, that's...nuts...

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Had some luck in pawn shops over the years, but darn little really. It's like musky fishing, 10,000 casts for one worth talking about.

Deeve, Fendereedo and blackguts like this.
  7. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I used to love buying guitars from pawn shops. Now I dont even bother going in

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You see it all the time on Reverb.

radiocaster, BobbyZ and Fendereedo like this.
  9. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Our local pawn shop has a real nice Schecter tele. It's been there for 5 or 6 years, at $550. Sometimes he moves it to a different spot along the wall.

Telecaster88, Deeve and Fendereedo like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

There's really nothing dishonest about it; it's more along the lines of "unrealistically optimistic," from the perspective of people like those here that understand the market value of such things.

The pawnbroker could stick a $10K price tag on it if he liked. It's all about supply, demand, and the level of product awareness on the part of the buyer.

Just like on fleabay: caveat emptor.

RobRiggs, Deeve, Dan German and 5 others like this.
  11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had luck at pawn shops, but only on stuff where they didn’t know what they had. A few specialty tools.

Guitars, you’re better off browsing the used guitars at GC, in my opinion.

hdvades likes this.
  12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, look at gun prices right now. The “s” in msrp is exactly that. Suggested!

Peegoo likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah pawn brokers definitely don't have a monopoly on asking prices only idiots would pay. The difference between them and the idiots on Craigslist or whatever is you can normally deal with them. Just be nice about and have the cash in your pocket, when you offer significantly less then they're asking price. If it's been there awhile you'd be surprised how much they'll knock it down for a cash sale.
    But keep in mind, those guys are expert wheeler dealers, with the uncanny ability to tell if you're really interested.

nojazzhere and Jbnaxx like this.
  14. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I’m sorry, I just can’t look at it that way. In my mind supply and demand is fair enough on new merchandise. Putting an unreasonably high price on common used gear hoping to catch a less knowledgeable buyer is, in fact, dishonest.

15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The very first guitar I ever built was stolen, and two years later appeared in a local pawn shop. I had to buy it back. I couldn't prove it was stolen or that I had built it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My best pawn shop experience happened about 30 years ago. The guy knew about guitars, but not so much about pro audio. We were able to use the pink or white noise generator on a Studiomaster console to convince the guy the board was defective. "We'll give you $200 for the case, the console is junk" Offer accepted!
    I feel no remorse in lowballing any pawn broker. They make a career of doing it to people, themselves.

scook, graybeard65, P-Nutz and 4 others like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

First, a big picture opinion.....the "golden age" of buying in pawnshops ended about 25-30 years ago. I used to do an early Saturday-morning pawnshop run every week. I would find ALL KINDS of bargains and good gear. Example.....my buddy stumbled on a clean, Black Face Deluxe Reverb (not reissue) for $200.
    Nowadays, if a guitar has Fender on it, (even if Squier) it starts at $600-700 and up. I love the interwebnets, but it has ruined the used guitar market, from a buyer's perspective. I think it's mostly true with garage sales and second-hand stores as well.
    And finally, one other reason why you rarely find good items at pawnshops is because the "dealers" ( the gypsies you see at guitar shows) all have contacts at the pawnshops......the "good stuff" never hits the sales floor. It's snatched up the second it comes out of pawn by a dealer.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

$825 for a MIM Strat from a pawnbroker? For what it’s worth, probably not much, my 2014 American Standard Strat set me back $839 from a local Sam Ash store in 2017. It was a no haggling best price offer from a salesman I’d had previously purchased from. At the end of the quarter, I got a $50 store credit coupon in the mail. I still have the guitar and it’s still in very good condition. You don’t have to buy anything not worth the price.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I pretty much live in the center of the universe in the USA for pawnshop scores.

It's been this way for 20+ years now.

I'm not really sure why with all the internet access info pawnshops have at their disposal, that they still can't find the true value of pawned musical instruments.

There are still amazing deals to be had at pawnshops, but it just takes time, energy, and persistence to get the scores

Here's a few showcase pawnshops scores from the last 5 years.

$180 - '78 Hamer Black Bound & Crowned Sunburst
    $270 - '03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
    $286 - '05 Gibson LP Studio
    $100 - '09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde Tele
    $100 - '88 Carvin D127
    $190 - '92 Hamer Chaparral Bass
    $400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
    $400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
    $204 - '94 Fender Jazz V Plus
    $762 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
    $993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
    $923 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
    $923 - '81 Martin 7-28 Dred

JL_LI and That Cal Webway like this.
  20. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

It’s surprising that Martin was building a seven-string acoustic in 1981. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.