A passion rekindled

Fritzy1959

TDPRI Member
I’ve been contemplating contributing to this subject for a couple of weeks, but rather than jump straight in I thought I’d take a more considered approach. Buckle up…this could be a long one.

A little background…

Back in the 80’s I was the lead singer in a band which only played original songs (except for a particular rocked up version of My Wife The Dancer by Englebert Humperdinck…don’t ask…crazy times!). The song writing was primarily left to myself and the lead guitarist, I focused on the lyrics and the guitarist the music…the melody lines we usually worked out together. We played lots of gigs in and around Manchester England, and financed our own three track EP which we sold at gigs. (If anyone is interested it can be found on YouTube on a site called I Don’t Wanna Dance the band… Akela and the Cubs. I have nothing to do with that site I just found it when cruising the internet one day!)

Anyway I digress…after the band split (musical differences etc) I joined a covers band, when that ended I started playing acoustic covers which eventually fizzled out. For the next 25 years I did absolutely nothing….no playing no writing nothing.

Just before Christmas this year I was contacted (via Facebook) by the old drummer. His daughter had bought a record player, had played the old EP and thought it was great ! This set some wheels in motion and after much searching, what remains of the band (sadly we lost the bass player) and close friends now have regular Zoom meetings…40 years after the EP was recorded.

I was asked in one of the early meetings if I still wrote songs, the answer was a definite no…not for 40 years. The guitarist and my song writing partner was no longer interested in writing anything new so I’ve started writing on my own. I’m not a great musician, but I can get by just enough to ‘back’ myself and get my ideas down.

The writing of lyrics I find relatively easy, the musical aspects not so easy, but that hasn’t stopped me from writing 30+ songs since Christmas. Now…to quote one of my own songs here…’You gotta open up a lot of oysters, to find one beautiful Pearl’…meaning not everything you write is going to be great, but the act of writing can be both mentally stimulating and cathartic. I personally don’t believe in writers block as such…we can all write something.

I try to write every day, even if it’s just a title a line or a phrase. Some days I’ll write a whole song, other days I’ll piece together fragments I’ve previously put aside. Some days the words will just pour out of me, and I will end up going off on different tangents and I end up with verses or choruses that don’t quite fit, those will form the basis of other songs.

What I’m trying to say in all of this is…just write something, no matter how poor you think it may be, write it down and keep it, don’t discard anything. Write from your own experiences or observations…or writing something totally fictional it doesn’t matter, just write in your own voice, and don’t try to imitate anyone else.

After a 40 year hiatus I’m really enjoying the process…I’m even taking guitar lessons to try and improve my musicianship to help with chord progressions and melodies etc.

I turned 63 at the start of the year and I‘m loving it.

I’m not sure what will happen going forward, if any of these songs will ever get recorded to a decent standard, or played in a live environment, hopefully so, but if they don’t, who cares the enjoyment I’ve gained through doing this has been priceless.

Take care and good luck in your song writing exploits👍

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
I’m not sure what will happen going forward, if any of these songs will ever get recorded to a decent standard, or played in a live environment, hopefully so, but if they don’t, who cares the enjoyment I’ve gained through doing this has been priceless.

Howdy Fritzy....guess I can chime in.

I'm 75....and I know my place in the music arena.
I realize none of my material would have any mass appeal because I don't write pop or maudlin love songs.
Hence....I will never have what's referred to as an actual 'fan base'....which is a singular term, by the way. :)

Writing/recording is just what I (we) do....I don't write songs with the lofty fantasy of being discovered or being famous.
I've never cared about that.
But, if any peer(s) do give a listen and I haven't pegged the 'you totally suck' meter....that works for me.

In over 40 years of writing I only have about 40+ songs completed and recorded.
Obviously, I'm not what one would call prolific but I choose my song subjects very deliberately.
Once the subject or phrase comes to mind its a bit of OCD until lyrics are fleshed out it's recorded to my satisfaction.
If it's not recorded....it's not finished.

After completing (6) songs and (1) composition by early this year I might be creatively spent....for the moment, that is. :)

Glad you got some creative fire back.

Carry on....

Last edited:

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
Hey Fritzy! Glad to hear you're getting back into writing. I also love the creative process, although my approach to writing would appear to be different from and considerably less prolific than yours. I wish you the best of luck and success in your rekindled creative efforts!

johnnylaw

Friend of Leo's
Hammer down!
Damn the torpedoes!
You have a couple more decades to mine for material and inspiration.

Fritzy1959

TDPRI Member
I may have seen you back in the day. I kept diaries if the gigs I attended and have slowly been transferring them to digital. I have a date in Manchester which I cannot read other than the cubs.
Anyway good luck with it, had a listen in YT and you have a good voice, hope it works out
Cheers man ! That was a very long time ago, probably between 1981 and 1983. We played a number of places in the centre of Manchester from small pubs like The John Bull, and the Portland Bars, but the biggest venue we played was the Gallery. Ring any bells? The Gallery gig was the first time we ever played with monitors…what a revelation that was.😎

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Cheers man ! That was a very long time ago, probably between 1981 and 1983. We played a number of places in the centre of Manchester from small pubs like The John Bull, and the Portland Bars, but the biggest venue we played was the Gallery. Ring any bells? The Gallery gig was the first time we ever played with monitors…what a revelation that was.😎
Sadly not, but it is in my 82 diary, it must have been a good night as everything about the gig is scrawled! 😃

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been contemplating contributing to this subject for a couple of weeks, but rather than jump straight in I thought I’d take a more considered approach. Buckle up…this could be a long one.

A little background…

Back in the 80’s I was the lead singer in a band which only played original songs (except for a particular rocked up version of My Wife The Dancer by Englebert Humperdinck…don’t ask…crazy times!). The song writing was primarily left to myself and the lead guitarist, I focused on the lyrics and the guitarist the music…the melody lines we usually worked out together. We played lots of gigs in and around Manchester England, and financed our own three track EP which we sold at gigs. (If anyone is interested it can be found on YouTube on a site called I Don’t Wanna Dance the band… Akela and the Cubs. I have nothing to do with that site I just found it when cruising the internet one day!)

Anyway I digress…after the band split (musical differences etc) I joined a covers band, when that ended I started playing acoustic covers which eventually fizzled out. For the next 25 years I did absolutely nothing….no playing no writing nothing.

Just before Christmas this year I was contacted (via Facebook) by the old drummer. His daughter had bought a record player, had played the old EP and thought it was great ! This set some wheels in motion and after much searching, what remains of the band (sadly we lost the bass player) and close friends now have regular Zoom meetings…40 years after the EP was recorded.

I was asked in one of the early meetings if I still wrote songs, the answer was a definite no…not for 40 years. The guitarist and my song writing partner was no longer interested in writing anything new so I’ve started writing on my own. I’m not a great musician, but I can get by just enough to ‘back’ myself and get my ideas down.

The writing of lyrics I find relatively easy, the musical aspects not so easy, but that hasn’t stopped me from writing 30+ songs since Christmas. Now…to quote one of my own songs here…’You gotta open up a lot of oysters, to find one beautiful Pearl’…meaning not everything you write is going to be great, but the act of writing can be both mentally stimulating and cathartic. I personally don’t believe in writers block as such…we can all write something.

I try to write every day, even if it’s just a title a line or a phrase. Some days I’ll write a whole song, other days I’ll piece together fragments I’ve previously put aside. Some days the words will just pour out of me, and I will end up going off on different tangents and I end up with verses or choruses that don’t quite fit, those will form the basis of other songs.

What I’m trying to say in all of this is…just write something, no matter how poor you think it may be, write it down and keep it, don’t discard anything. Write from your own experiences or observations…or writing something totally fictional it doesn’t matter, just write in your own voice, and don’t try to imitate anyone else.

After a 40 year hiatus I’m really enjoying the process…I’m even taking guitar lessons to try and improve my musicianship to help with chord progressions and melodies etc.

Welcome back to the creative process, Fritzy. I've had a couple month's hiatus, myself. Gotta get back to it!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Good luck to you mate! It's never too late to get back into it. Heck, I'm helping a buddy of mine record music that he wrote way back in 1968! Never seen the light of day so we're trying to rectify that ;) Pretty wild that @gimmeatele may have actually saw one of your gigs back in 1982, what are the odds!?!? Man... what a great year that was.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
. . . but the act of writing can be both mentally stimulating and cathartic.
For me, it's stimulating (love those stimulants!), like working on a crossword puzzle. It's never been cathartic. I'm not a catharter.
I personally don’t believe in writers block as such…we can all write something.
I've never been blocked, but it does happen to people. I tell 'em to take a walk. (Alone. Without ear buds. Or cell phone. Just walk.)

What I'm skeptical of is the so-called creative process. There isn't one. We each have our own ways of operating. How I get at writing or drawing or building sand castles has nothing to do with the way anyone else does.

There are no paths, recipes, formulas. Like Yoda said, there's only doing or not doing: When I sit down with guitar, pen, and pad, I'm doing; when I don't, I'm not doing.
I try to write every day . . . .
Good on you! I used to, until my fifties, when I got married.
. . . What I’m trying to say in all of this is…just write something, no matter how poor you think it may be, write it down and keep it, don’t discard anything.
Dunno. Sounds like hoarding syndrome. I throw out lots of stuff. If I didn't, I'd be up to my knees in trash. No matter how many ideas I throw out, there's plenty more where they came from.

If I kept the junk, I'd keep working on it — what author Lawrence Block calls washing garbage. Life's short. Use it, don't abuse it!
Write from your own experiences or observations…or writing something totally fictional it doesn’t matter, just write in your own voice, and don’t try to imitate anyone else.
That works for lots of people. I've written hundreds of songs but only have a few in my own voice. And they're boring. There's none I'd perform.

For me, songwriting is escape. So I usually imagine a character and a story or situation, and I write in that character's voice. This isn't deliberate. It's just how my mind works. I get rolling on a new song and it takes me away.

And sometimes I use what creative writing teachers call the omniscient voice. Those songs can come out well, too.
. . . I turned 63 at the start of the year and I‘m loving it.
Great age. Lots to look forward tro. A late happy birthday!
I’m not sure what will happen going forward, if any of these songs will ever get recorded to a decent standard, or played in a live environment, hopefully so, but if they don’t, who cares the enjoyment I’ve gained through doing this has been priceless. . . .
Yep. You nailed it!

PS — I'm not a pro. Songwriting is a hobby. But when I play my stuff at coffee houses, pubs, parties, and the occasional festival, folks seem to like it. But I'm like you: The important thing is that I like it!

Last edited:

Fritzy1959

TDPRI Member
Good luck to you mate! It's never too late to get back into it. Heck, I'm helping a buddy of mine record music that he wrote way back in 1968! Never seen the light of day so we're trying to rectify that ;) Pretty wild that @gimmeatele may have actually saw one of your gigs back in 1982, what are the odds!?!? Man... what a great year that was.
Wow that is a lay-off…better late than never - good luck👍 And yep… crazy to think @gimmeatele may of actually been at one our gigs 40 years ago.

Regarding the year…
Just looking at the charts…best selling singles in the uk for 1982 and yes there are some good songs in there, but my goodness there are some ‘stinkers’ too…@ #8 Seven Tears - The Goombay Dance Band @#5 The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tight Fit and @ #1 Come on Eileen Dexy’s Midnight Runners (which I dislike to this very day!) Over the pond in the US in the top ten you’ve got…Eye of the Tiger, I love Rock and Roll, Centerfold, Jack and Diane, Hurt So Good, Abracadabra… Hard To Say I’m Sorry…. Hmmm…only one winner there…however both top tens did include Ebony And Ivory…which also goes on my ‘I never want to hear that song again’ list..and don’t get me started with Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh 😂

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Further to all this and not wishing to hijack your thread, I have New order as the next gig after the cubs entry and a foot ball match so I could well have been in a long weekend and caught you somewhere in town over the weekend, I lived in Sheffield at the time and travelled regularly to Manchester for gigs.