a no control tele?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by leeowensoas1, Nov 13, 2019.

1. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 TDPRI Member

So (for a future project) if I wanted to go Esquire-style bridge pickup only and want to bypass volume and tone completely, just pickup hardwired to the jack, no nonsense, just a plank and a pickup. how does that look in terms of wiring? I know nothing about wiring diagrams or soldering, but when I start learning I wanna start with the absolute simplest guitar circuit. So how many wires? And connected how?

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The hot and the ground go to the two separate solder points on the jack. On every diagram, whatever the ground area is will be the same, whichever the volume pot goes to is the other.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As above, grounded pickup wire goes to the ring on the jack and the other pickup wire goes to the tip on the jack.

Now, I want this, and I can say I think you don't want this.

It may at first seem "no nonsense" but when the squealing feedback starts you may miss that knob.

4. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

. . .just like my acoustic's soundhole pickup that plugs straight into the DI . . .
    (howling loud af if I'm standing in the wrong place)

Just because you can, don't mean you should.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

The more I play my one- pickup Strat copy,
    Which has one volume knob but no tone control, the more I appreciate how turning the volume down at the guitar darkens the tone to varying degrees.

I’ve started setting my amp up loud and bright and have been considering “partly rolled off” to be my baseline pretty clean chording tone, I have louder and brighter available for single-note licks or if I want to blast off. Still
    Pretty much a plank with a pickup though.

joeford and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A volume pot is a nice luxury. :)
    I would consider at least having a volume unless you have a volume pedal or stand within reach of your amp at all times and can stop playing to adjust volume..

You could wire it to bypass the volume and tone if you like using a switch or push pull pot, then you have the option of taking the volume out of the circuit.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No wandering on stage!

telemnemonics and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

I would have done that until I got an Acapulco Gold pedal and now for the first time on any of the dozens of guitars I’ve owned the volume knob is a usable gain control.

9. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

You could also buy a lead with a mute switch if you decide to go through with it.

10. leeowensoas1

That was kinda what I was thinking, maybe just a mute/kill switch button, or just the volume knob. Y'all definitely make some good points and maybe I'll suck it up and at least put a volume pot on there haha.

Steve 78 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. telemnemonics

3B4270FE-BBF1-4E0D-9333-87A63164B0D4.jpeg After adding extra switches and pickups for years I went the other way and tried removing extra parts until I went too far.
    I find I never need more than one pickup but I like to play Lou’s so I reeeeaaaalllly need that vol knob.

Tele plates have that extra hole so I often put a second output jack there for seated playing, but still have an electrosocket on the side.
    Sorry for the late night bad light.

12. telemnemonics

Or go Nugent and put gaffers tape X marks in all the spots where the feedback is really bad so you know where not to stand.
    Or where to go for some squealing.
    What looks like wandering to the uninitiated is actually a choreographed dance routine.

Deeve likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

When I bought my Esquire it had the « full throttle » wiring which gives you PU straight to jack on first position.
    Whereas there’s a very noticeable difference between « all controls » vs « volume pot only », I could hardly hear the difference between « volume only » and « straight to jack ».
    I too think you want that volume pot!

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

We can tell.
    With no controls you have...no control.

15. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

If you want as much balls-out as possible while still having some semblance of control, put a 500k or 1M pot in there for the volume control, or just a on-off switch.

16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Wasn't there a Music Man artist signature model in the 1980's with just a vol control that was marked "Tone"? Can't remember the artist, but I remember trying the idea on a long gone cheap LP Junior copy. Wasn't convinced.

Edit: it was early versions of Eddie Van Halen Music Man. Later versions had the control marked "Volume". Thanks G**gle.

17. leeowensoas1

And that's why I'm here to learn haha and that's what my feets are for man! Every guitar I own has volume and tone knobs, and I only find those knobs useful on half those guitars (at least stock) while the other half chill at 10 all day long, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Especially as it seems about the easiest first time project a soldering newbie like me could take on

Haha
    Definitely open to a nice low profile on/off switch. So do higher value caps just have less effect on the signal, or how do they make a difference? Like a narrower sweep? Also i'm considering a detented volume pot so where it's at 10 it's out of the circuit, would achieve the same effect conceptually but a bit more practical/versatile. OR i could go in the complete opposite direction (MORE KNOBS), is it possible to do a 3 knob tele plate with Volume/Tone(Treble)/Focus(Bass) pots? (Focus pot as per https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24592-the-recording-guitarist-the-fabulous-focus-knob) since there wouldn't have to be room for the 3-way switch? Last idea would be regular knobs/switch but the switch would switch between [Straight-to-jack]/[Volume Only]/[Both Knobs Active]

18. leeowensoas1

Sorry Double post

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

but, but, but.. you'd be outta control on that thing....:eek::lol:

20. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

The opposite - bigger caps have more effect, cutting deeper into the midrange.

Fender no-load pot.

A bass cut on a Tele bridge pickup would be totally pointless. There's no bass there to cut! That's something you would do on a Les Paul neck pickup.

Sure, but I'd say you're getting a little over your head for a noob. Study some existing diagrams (they're all over the web) see learn how these things work and then design your own. Switches & pots are the most basic electrical concepts, you don't need much electronic theory, you just have to grasp the logic.

BTW I think Guitar Fetish sells black Tele control plates.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.