A newbies belated introduction

azureglo

TDPRI Member
Hi all in TDPRI land

Been around for the last year but rarely posted due to life, death and all points in between. First Telecasters: here are mine-

L-R: bought new in 1998 Am Std, 2017 Tokai MIJ Micawber Mk 1, Squier CV with SD Jazz in neck, Partscaster around a Squier Offset Tele neck and Vantage V72 body with Cats Whisker Mini HB and bridge single sized HB (interesting and very loud), FSR CV60s Thinline featherlight 6lbs, with Bare Knuckle Flat 50s and Freeway 6-way switch (main studio guitar) and straggler is a Vintera Deluxe in same noxious brown as my 1974 version, but not made of depleted uranium like that one.

52249699758_45329b7e4e_b.jpg

52117704764_fcd9a048fc_h.jpg

About me: A classically trained violin player who gave up jobbing orchestral gigs in the late 70s and changed to session guitar. I sight read and have been playing jazz/classical guitar since 1972 so am happiest there. Worked as studio session man on commercials, jingles and scores from 1980-1995 plus cruises, then set up a web company. Came back to music in 2015 after selling up my agency and returning to my studio roots. These days, I write and produce anything from EDM to neo soul for aspiring DJs and Beyonces... I also found I have an eerie aptitude for Tenor sax but a burning urge to learn drums, but then again who doesn’t? Last month I swung for this with Logic Pro X and it gets set up this weekend to replace my 2010 MacBook/Logic studio which is on its knees. Oh, and I hate Cruise ships now.

52248733537_a8b223a1a0_b.jpg

So that’s me and mine, I’ve decided to build myself a wee guitar as I find all of the ones I have, are almost there but not quite. Remember I don't really use distortion or pedals and my holy grail sounds are Cornell Dupree (think Brook Benton's Rainy Night In Georgia) and Joe Pass so need something that's a Tele but ... I also have an 1962 L4 and 1960 ES175 for jazz gigs that haven’t left the case since 2018 since I use my Am Std Tele for anything from solo chord melody gigs to raucous bebop jams and recently have been modding Jazzmasters to, well play Jazz ..

JM 1

Son Of JM

Teles and jazz have a long history, Ed Bickert Ted Greene et al. When I did some masterclasses with Barney Kessel in the late seventies, he did them with a white 60s RW Tele and told us if there one guitar we should all have, its that. Who am I to argue with Barney?

Amp wise I have a recent 68 PPRI, a bought new in 1988 Polytone which is pretty much my main amp and a recently acquired Pod Go with a Behringer PA speaker which is moderately frightening and contravenes several tactical weapons treaties. It has also got a whammy pedal emulation I use to torment the neighbourhood cats (but then again, we all do that don’t we?)

I have some Strats as well, of course, and am on Strat talk with another DIY project.

52161197593_5e3e76c6d7_b.jpg

A good tele story: a blues lawyer acquaintance (actually blues hedge fund manager who helped me sell my agency), took me along as the playing “expert” to Pym Guitars back in early 2020, to check out the playability of a 1954 Tele he ended up paying £21,000 for, (he’s an amateur player but serious collector). I could not get the thing in tune past the 5th fret using the 10s on it so changed to flat wound Thomastik 12s as closer to period strings, gingerly adjusted the relief… and barely got it playable. Asked my opinion, I ventured that I have played Squier Affinities that were more musical…that said it was all original, including case/candy/original receipt etc and I could see its investment and cultural value.

My own “relic” is the 1998 American Standard that’s barely marked and is my main guitar albeit a bit heavy and “lumpy” as Teles are supposed to be, but has six saddles so gets in tune easily and stays there. It has done at least seven Mediterranean and three Atlantic cruises without even a string breaking on the 10th encore of Kyrie. The 90s were a difficult time musically. I doubt anyone will pay £21K for this polyester entombed “toilet seat” though.

My last word on Teles: In 1973 my older brother took me to see the Stones (I’m thinking Wembley Empire Pool as we walked there and back from our house in Wembley?) and they played the whole of Exile on Main Street. Till then I was a snotty little 13-year-old jazz and classical snob, after that I have had a single goal in life: To become Keef. With a Blond Telecaster.

So, I thought an introduction was in order rather than launching into a build thread elsewhere announced. Look forward to some good spirited banter and who knows, I might even try some of this “Rock” music folk keep telling me about, I hear its jolly nice.

Cheers

Anil

Last edited:

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
Fantastic collection of guitars. You are a real musician. I wish I was half as talented as you. Good to have you.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Keef, one of the greatest Tele ambassadors. We all love his ... in your face 'What you see, is what you get.'

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I could not get the thing in tune past the 5th fret using the 10s on it so changed to flat wound Thomastik 12s as closer to period strings, gingerly adjusted the relief… and barely got it playable. Asked my opinion, I ventured that I have played Squier Affinities that were more musical…that said it was all original, including case/candy/original receipt etc and I could see its investment and cultural value.

Welcome man!!! Nice collection and really cool story. Interesting about that 54 for 21,000 quid. This is not the first time I've heard such things about the vintage ones. As it was back then, some were good and some not so good i.e. the QC was all over the place. I saw an original 52 once that was all legit, and the finish was so thick that it looked like it had actually been put on with a paint brush! LOL!!! No joke. I suppose if you're mostly a collector, and gots the $ to buy such things, off you go so kudos to your friend!

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Welcome aboard!
Waters fine, jump overboard.
Impressive resume and a fine collection of guitars, would love to lay me eyes on the ES175 and the JM's, especially the JazzMasters, my secret fetish is to hug offsets.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Phenomenal introduction and an excellent collection of instruments. "Depleted uranium" gave me a good chuckle. Welcome!

Grandy

Tele-Holic
Welcome, I'm sure with hour background your insights will be appreciated here.

If a jazz and classical snooker wanted to be Keef may there's hope for the res of us.;)

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
Hi all in TDPRI land

Been around for the last year but rarely posted due to life, death and all points in between. First Telecasters: here are mine-

L-R: bought new in 1998 Am Std, 2017 Tokai MIJ Micawber Mk 1, Squier CV with SD Jazz in neck, Partscaster around a Squier Offset Tele neck and Vantage V72 body with Cats Whisker Mini HB and bridge single sized HB (interesting and very loud), FSR CV60s Thinline featherlight 6lbs, with Bare Knuckle Flat 50s and Freeway 6-way switch (main studio guitar) and straggler is a Vintera Deluxe in same noxious brown as my 1974 version, but not made of depleted uranium like that one.

52249699758_45329b7e4e_b.jpg

52117704764_fcd9a048fc_h.jpg

About me: A classically trained violin player who gave up jobbing orchestral gigs in the late 70s and changed to session guitar. I sight read and have been playing jazz/classical guitar since 1972 so am happiest there. Worked as studio session man on commercials, jingles and scores from 1980-1995 plus cruises, then set up a web company. Came back to music in 2015 after selling up my agency and returning to my studio roots. These days, I write and produce anything from EDM to neo soul for aspiring DJs and Beyonces... I also found I have an eerie aptitude for Tenor sax but a burning urge to learn drums, but then again who doesn’t? Last month I swung for this with Logic Pro X and it gets set up this weekend to replace my 2010 MacBook/Logic studio which is on its knees. Oh, and I hate Cruise ships now.

52248733537_a8b223a1a0_b.jpg

So that’s me and mine, I’ve decided to build myself a wee guitar as I find all of the ones I have, are almost there but not quite. Remember I don't really use distortion or pedals and my holy grail sounds are Cornell Dupree (think Brook Benton's Rainy Night In Georgia) and Joe Pass so need something that's a Tele but ... I also have an 1962 L4 and 1960 ES175 for jazz gigs that haven’t left the case since 2018 since I use my Am Std Tele for anything from solo chord melody gigs to raucous bebop jams and recently have been modding Jazzmasters to, well play Jazz ..

JM 1

Son Of JM

Teles and jazz have a long history, Ed Bickert Ted Greene et al. When I did some masterclasses with Barney Kessel in the late seventies, he did them with a white 60s RW Tele and told us if there one guitar we should all have, its that. Who am I to argue with Barney?

Amp wise I have a recent 68 PPRI, a bought new in 1988 Polytone which is pretty much my main amp and a recently acquired Pod Go with a Behringer PA speaker which is moderately frightening and contravenes several tactical weapons treaties. It has also got a whammy pedal emulation I use to torment the neighbourhood cats (but then again, we all do that don’t we?)

I have some Strats as well, of course, and am on Strat talk with another DIY project.

52161197593_5e3e76c6d7_b.jpg

A good tele story: a blues lawyer acquaintance (actually blues hedge fund manager who helped me sell my agency), took me along as the playing “expert” to Pym Guitars back in early 2020, to check out the playability of a 1954 Tele he ended up paying £21,000 for, (he’s an amateur player but serious collector). I could not get the thing in tune past the 5th fret using the 10s on it so changed to flat wound Thomastik 12s as closer to period strings, gingerly adjusted the relief… and barely got it playable. Asked my opinion, I ventured that I have played Squier Affinities that were more musical…that said it was all original, including case/candy/original receipt etc and I could see its investment and cultural value.

My own “relic” is the 1998 American Standard that’s barely marked and is my main guitar albeit a bit heavy and “lumpy” as Teles are supposed to be, but has six saddles so gets in tune easily and stays there. It has done at least seven Mediterranean and three Atlantic cruises without even a string breaking on the 10th encore of Kyrie. The 90s were a difficult time musically. I doubt anyone will pay £21K for this polyester entombed “toilet seat” though.

My last word on Teles: In 1973 my older brother took me to see the Stones (I’m thinking Wembley Empire Pool as we walked there and back from our house in Wembley?) and they played the whole of Exile on Main Street. Till then I was a snotty little 13-year-old jazz and classical snob, after that I have had a single goal in life: To become Keef. With a Blond Telecaster.

So, I thought an introduction was in order rather than launching into a build thread elsewhere announced. Look forward to some good spirited banter and who knows, I might even try some of this “Rock” music folk keep telling me about, I hear its jolly nice.

Cheers

Anil
Great CV Anil, and some super guitars! I too tend to dip in and out of the forum, and need to re-introduce myself on occasion! Sadly, or maybe fortuitously, I'm down to just the one electric; my 2021 Noventa Tele. Quite a challenge attempting 'traditional' Jazz tones with the single bridge MP90, but I have discovered just how versatile one good pickup can be with careful tone and pick management. Welcome!