A new Tele under 1000€$£ or fix what I've got?

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
My main guitar of 15 years have been a MIM Standard Tele from 99/00. I have played several more expensive, "better" Telecasters that haven't felt as nice to play and haven't sounded 1500€$£ better. I just really like the neck and someone called those kinds of guitars, "the ones were you just play and don't have to think about the guitar".
I have modded the electronics to were it's quiet (shielded), changed pots, tweaked the tone cap and it fits what I do really well.
Now the tuners and frets are worn out and I don't really have the skills or tools to change frets on the maple fretboard.
So spend whatever it needs to get into shape or buy a new Telecaster, something like a Player series Fender?

tlsmack

Tele-Afflicted
Hmm, maybe just look for a new neck. Fret replacement usually costs more than a new MIM neck.
On the other hand, say you find a nice MIM neck, and it needs some fret work as new necks usually do, the cost of the refret might be about the same.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
Hmm, maybe just look for a new neck. Fret replacement usually costs more than a new MIM neck.
On the other hand, say you find a nice MIM neck, and it needs some fret work as new necks usually do, the cost of the refret might be about the same.
Yeah, I've thought about a new neck. It's really a gamble. We have really cold, dry winters here and I know people who have either moved here with guitars or the other way around where the necks have needed a lot of expensive work done. Add to that the variance in necks generally.

john_cribbin

Friend of Leo's
Frets can normally be levelled and reprofiled a few times before they need replacing. Has the neck been assessed by a luthier as needing a refet?

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
You'll end up fixing it anyway, I'd do that.

Hopefully you have something to play while THE ONE is getting fixed.

IrishBread69

Tele-Holic
One underrated feature of a Telecaster is you can just swap the neck out.

If everything else is good, why not buy a new neck and pay for a set up. Would definitely be cheaper than buying a whole new guitar.

dasherf17

Tele-Meister
25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
My main guitar of 15 years have been a MIM Standard Tele from 99/00. I have played several more expensive, "better" Telecasters that haven't felt as nice to play and haven't sounded 1500€$£ better. I just really like the neck and someone called those kinds of guitars, "the ones were you just play and don't have to think about the guitar".
I have modded the electronics to were it's quiet (shielded), changed pots, tweaked the tone cap and it fits what I do really well.
Now the tuners and frets are worn out and I don't really have the skills or tools to change frets on the maple fretboard.
So spend whatever it needs to get into shape or buy a new Telecaster, something like a Player series Fender?
My opinion on that is, as Roy Buchanan once said, "Keep What You Got"...the whole of the guitar is to your liking, expectations, I'd get it fixed...the tuners aren't that hard to replace, just nuts, screws and jewelers screwdriver and 10mm (am I right, Guys?) open end or socket wrench...reasonably inexpensive...
OR...if you're really hankering for a new ride, get the new(er) Player...
I, m'self wouldn't want to let anyone else get the work I so dearingly put into making this "my own"...

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

1. Buy the new MIM neck (check Stratosphere first, maybe less?), and a fret ends file ($3 rat tail file set from Harbor Freight).

2. Swap necks yourself and fix fret ends if you need to in a few weeks of dry weather. It's a one time fix if you do it when the neck has been in the house during the driest time of the year.

3. Get your old neck refretted with stainless steel. If paying for a refret, only get stainless steel frets. Don't let the guitar tech cry about his sore hands or his nippers or he's doing the refret wrong.

4. Swap the original neck back on the original guitar.

5. Since you have that extra neck 'just sitting around', buy a Tele loaded body off Stratosphere/ebay/etc.

6. Build your second guitar!

See how easy that is :)

Alternative: buy one of those Harley Benton TE-70 Paisley or TE-55 T-style guitars or even go off the rails and get a JA-60 Jazzmaster-style guitar to play while you get your current guitar neck refretted with stainless steel. The Harley Benton guitars run around $150ish. See Amazon for Eart or Glarry that run even half that including shipping, and amazing players.

Dismalhead

Doctor of Teleocity

1. Buy the new MIM neck (check Stratosphere first, maybe less?), and a fret ends file ($3 rat tail file set from Harbor Freight).

2. Swap necks yourself and fix fret ends if you need to in a few weeks of dry weather. It's a one time fix if you do it when the neck has been in the house during the driest time of the year.

3. Get your old neck refretted with stainless steel. If paying for a refret, only get stainless steel frets. Don't let the guitar tech cry about his sore hands or his nippers or he's doing the refret wrong.

4. Swap the original neck back on the original guitar.

5. Since you have that extra neck 'just sitting around', buy a Tele loaded body off Stratosphere/ebay/etc.

6. Build your second guitar!

See how easy that is :)

Alternative: buy one of those Harley Benton TE-70 Paisley or TE-55 T-style guitars or even go off the rails and get a JA-60 Jazzmaster-style guitar to play while you get your current guitar neck refretted with stainless steel. The Harley Benton guitars run around $150ish. See Amazon for Eart or Glarry that run even half that including shipping, and amazing players.

Great plan up until the alternative at the bottom IMO. I dabbled in the cheap guitar thing a while back and I still have half a dozen junky guitars sitting around in cases with subpar necks, crappy hardware, and muddy pickups. Don't be that guy. Find a nice neck and go from there.

dreamsinger

Tele-Meister
I built my "ONE" 10 years ago. Some parts of the build were carried out by people with a rep for being the best at what they do. To this day I haven't played a Tele that comes close. It's easier to find a tech whose fretwork exceeds any factory frets. You may have to ship your neck off but trust me, it's worth it. Same with wiring. Buying a new guitar regardless of price will come with a break-in period. Sometimes the guitar never does "get out of your way". Fix what you got but fix it right.