A New Screw to Me - Anybody Know the Pattern?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
effing hilarious.

I used to basically need two scewdrivers and one driver tip for general non specialty chores, then only needed to add an allen set plus maybe p1 and P3 then bigger and smaller slot heads.

Now hardware store fasteners are in a ridiculous array of head specs including obsolete square drive screws one never puts in but must be prepared to remove.

Deck screws going to torx is a great great step forward but recently my supplier had stocked 1 1/4"-4" ext screws all with T25 heads; and suddenly the 2" and shorter are T20 while the 4" are T30 with T25 in between?
How many drivers to screw in a X?

Anyhow I cant see a tech gain from that not quite philips post?
Are the saddle height screws torx or allen?
Torx would be better, but Im not a fan of those teeny tiny steel screws collecting sweat and beer then needed adjusting.

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That is a PRS proprietary screw, used on the Cor-Tek SE Silver Sky and on the US-made PRS Fiore (Lettieri signature) two-screw vibrato bridges.

It is designed to fit a #2 Phillips driver.

Legal Disclaimer/Full Disclosure: I work at PRS and the Silver Sky and Fiore models are the ones I spend most of my time with.

john_cribbin

Friend of Leo's
That is a PRS proprietary screw, used on the Cor-Tek SE Silver Sky and on the US-made PRS Fiore (Lettieri signature) two-screw vibrato bridges.

Legal Disclaimer/Full Disclosure: I work at PRS and the Silver Sky and Fiore models are the ones I spend most of my time with.
Many thank's Peegoo, you are clearly the font of all things PRS.

When you see Paul, tell him I'm happy for him to re-imagine guitar design, the screws, not so much!!

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

But does the pattern serve a purpose or just for looks?

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Daggone cool!!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The point of a Quadrex head is to allow servicing with both a Phillips and Robertson screwdriver. The Roberson screw is popular primarily in Canada.
After driving and removing "millions" of screws I can state with authority that the robertson drive is the worst in history and Im glad it fell from brief popularity in the US!

I still have to remove them now and then and once rusted there is no worse drive!
Philips does come in second but has an advantage in self aligning so for example sheetrock screws lock onto a correct philips tip and will not wobble even starting in harder wood.

As for guitar techs?
Are there guitar techs with only robertson drivers on their bench, and no philips drivers for working on guitars?
Hey, what do I know, Smith makes great guitars I have no interest in so my comments are likely off base.

If I had to guess I think Paul likes the look and chose them it decorative purposes.
Also, here we are promoting PRS!

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
I would have never for one second thought it was anything other than a fancy Phillips head but then what do I know? Sometimes ignorance is power I guess.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Did you read Peegoo’s posts #21 and #35?
After driving and removing "millions" of screws I can state with authority that the robertson drive is the worst in history and Im glad it fell from brief popularity in the US!

I still have to remove them now and then and once rusted there is no worse drive!
Philips does come in second but has an advantage in self aligning so for example sheetrock screws lock onto a correct philips tip and will not wobble even starting in harder wood.

As for guitar techs?
Are there guitar techs with only robertson drivers on their bench, and no philips drivers for working on guitars?
Hey, what do I know, Smith makes great guitars I have no interest in so my comments are likely off base.

If I had to guess I think Paul likes the look and chose them it decorative purposes.
Also, here we are promoting PRS!

All, this really is just a phillips head. : ) Most likely a #1.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Did you read Peegoo’s posts #21 and #35?
I did (25&31).

Engineers do things for two reasons.

1) because it is needed or is better

2) because "I can"

I totally respect people who do things (in the arts) just because they can, but I do not see any practical engineering advancement in this particular design.
Of course (I assume) CNC has the limitation of an inability to cut truly square corners.
So the ideal of a "CNC machined screw" suffers some loss of flat surface at the point force is applied.
Not a problem since posts should never be tightened.

Personally I watched the automotive hot rodding takeover by purple anodized CNC parts "because they can" with some amount of sadness.
Sure, a purple big block Chevy is PURPLE!

Because I can!