A New Pickup Winder Scratch Build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Barncaster, Jun 24, 2012.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, don't worry about that. A couple of months of credit card bills that have you on saltines and peanut butter for lunch is an effective financial training tool. :(

2. dietrichluthier

dietrichluthier Tele-Meister

Hello friends!! this topic is very interesting.

I'm thinking of building my own pickups for my guitars. but I can not find a good supplier
    I've seen addiction fx on eBay, all parts and mojotone. but it is too expensive.
    you know where I can find more on economic providers?

3. R. Stratenstein

For Fender type pickups, and Stratocaster pickups are about the most simple you can get, you can use just about anything that comes in a thin sheet (plastic, pickguard material, thin wood even) to make the flatwork for the tops and bottoms of your pickups. Drill holes to accommodate cylindrical magnet slugs, and small holes for the lead wires to be soldered to the thin coil wires, buy some wire (by far the greatest expense), and there you have it. Tele pickus, especially the bridge, are a bit more complex due to the bottom plate and unusual shape and need for drilled and tapped mounting holes, but still much easier than many pickups.

4. dietrichluthier

dietrichluthier Tele-Meister

Thanks, but I need quality materials not want a sloppy job. but I've always wondered where companies buy inputs (llolar, Porter, Fralin) etc ...
    I do not want to pay 25 dollars more shipments to Argentina.
    would have to charge $ 100 per humbuckers, and that here is a lot of money

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Dietrich,

One of the most economical ways to do winding R&D is to buy broken pickups off of eBay and rewind them. This is a great way to work in your recipes.

As far as parts cost for production volumes, there are many low cost parts on eBay. So you get a screaming deal on 100 neon green humbucker bobbins. Under a nickel cover, it doesn't matter. Price goes down with volume. Sometimes the oddball stuff like this can work.

Are you trying to wind a few sets or do volume production?

Rob

6. R. Stratenstein

I doubt the commercial pick up makers are going to tell you their "secret" sources of supply, but I can promise you that if you found out, you'd need to order the same quantities that Lollar, Fralin, Lawrence, etc. do to get good prices, and unless they're local to you, you'll still have to pay the shipping costs.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

The whole point of buying here is to save the shipping cost, but now I'm seriously hesitating--tempting as it is to become a YT sensation....

8. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

Ah, I see. Well, check in the bag instead of carryon, perhaps. Is it expensive to mail a small box or parcel bag to yourself overseas to Japan?

9. Barncaster

Hey Dietrich,
    There are other ways around these issues as well if you are willing to give up the look of a traditional humbucker. One of the reasons building a Gibson humbucker is so expensive is that there are a lot of specialized parts in there. If you reduce the humbucker down to what it really is; two coils connected in series with opposite direction winds and opposite magnetic polarity, things begin to look simpler. As Rick stated, Fender Strat or better yet two Tele neck pups could be used to make a humbucker. All that it would take is 12 magnet slugs, 4 pieces of flatwork, magnet wire, 4 leads, some electrical tape and a base to mount them on which can be made of the same flatwork material.

If you source the flatwork material locally, a tiny Solid Works drawing and a local water jet or laser cutter can make all of the flatwork for you. This can be done. They will not look traditional but will sound terrific and you will have your own look. Consider it.
    Rob

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My first humbucker was machined out of clear acrylic plastic with fender Alnico magnets. P 90's can have a wooden center portion to the bobbin like stewmac sells. Somebody near you must have a cnc machine. You could have them machine out the parts and you could assemble them into bobbins and flatwork. All you need to do is learn how to draw. You can then make the pickups for next to nothing besides the cost of magnets and wire.

You can also order Chinese pickups for less than the cost of materials and break them down, clean off the wax, cut off the wire, replace ceramic magnets with alnico and rewind them. I did that too. This ships free to the Americas...roughly 7.50 each US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Doub...490?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27d3e65e1a

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, very late to this party, work has been murder.

Rob, man you have the touch, that sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing the specs. I freekin love that name!

12. R. Stratenstein

Although the TSA hires certifiable imbeciles in many places*, perhaps they'd understand the true nature of the parts in your baggage if you drew out or even printed out photos/ plans of a pick up winder and had them on top of the parts in your baggage, it would be clear your intentions are benign. . ?

As I recall, last year when your flew back to Japan, you had a pretty large assortment of tools and parts, many of which could be construed incorrectly, if one is so inclined--did you have any problems with getting your baggage home last year?

*word this PM that a TSA screener in Orlando informed a Washington, DC based reporter that since the District of Columbia isn't a state, his DC drivers' license is not valid ID for flying purposes. :rolleyes:

13. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

14. R. Stratenstein

Good spot, Jim. I think this could be made to work, says it has a range of 8mm, but I think the other one specified, like Nick bought, that has a magnetic sensor, and a known RPM limit, would be preferable.

15. Jupiter

Yeah, I've shipped, um, curious items in my suitcase before, and though it was clear that they opened the case to look at stuff, they let me keep it all. But nowadays, there's a whole new thing about personal electronics, and I'm afraid they'll be more vigilant/paranoid. I'm considering printing a screen grab of each item on amazon or eBay, and putting each component in a separate ziplock with the printout. Maybe that would expedite things.

16. Barncaster

Seems a reasonable precaution. That and fluffy will give your motor a good sniff.........

17. R. Stratenstein

I think that's a great idea, maybe coupled with the winder plans to show what all these harmless parts are for. Who knows, maybe you'll luck up and get a blues fan TSA agent who digs electric guitars?? That, and the absence of any power supply (batteries) in your luggage hopefully should make the point that you are not shipping destructive devices--certainly couldn't hurt. Maybe a Pup-a-Roni for fluffy too. Jar of DPP flake would probably be confusing to them. . . .

Come to think of it, though, maybe you should tone down the Merciless Ming and Mayhem theme a bit, though! :cool:

18. Barncaster

DPP ......... LOL!

19. Jupiter

Ooh man, I forgot to price that stuff. Wonder if it's much cheaper here than my Japan source.

20. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

I had a feeling something was off about it. Where it said "iron" instead of "magnet."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.