A New Pickup Winder Scratch Build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Barncaster, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I put 2 elongated holes right under the bridge so that it is covered by the bridge itself. One hole for the left 3 cables and one for the right 3 cables. These holes going just in the maple carved cap, were probably 4-5 mm wide and 10mm long. In the area under the maple cap i just made a bigger routing channel that connected to the bridge pickup cavity. You want to plan these joining the bridge cavity at full depth so that the pickup never squeezes the piezo caples. Also make these a bit spacy so that you can 'fish' the cables easily from the pickup cavity. I actually made a little ramp but that would fall into the German Overengineering category. You also want to make sure that channel connecting the bridge pickup cavity with th electronics cavity is wide enough that it supports pushing these 6 teflon cables through. Keep in mind the 6 cables are thing, you need to plan for the black connectors to fit through. In my case I just had a dedicated channel, one for the bridge pickup and one for delicate piezo cables. If Rob is OK I can post some pictures here. But didnt want to hijack this one too much. And if you belong to the part of the world that believes in shielding, then you might want to shield that part of the cable channel because the piezo's are high Z. And talking about shielding, you cannot just ground the trebble body insert/post of the bridge stud as the saddle elements are non-conducting and will leave your strings ungrounded.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Barncaster likes this.
  2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

It does not surprise me that you made a ramp!! Did you take any photos of that? It would be very interesting to see!

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But was the ramp at the optimal angle, length, and width to accommodate the wires and connector?

4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The magnetic sensor in smart phones is used for the compass circuitry in the phone used by the GPS and navigation software. So it's a sensitive enough sensor to pick up the Earth's magnetic field.

I've used some iPhone apps for relative magnetic readings, checking polarity and such. They work OK.

I saw some warnings that strong magnetic fields might damage the phone, but I've never seen any evidence that it actually does. Apple hasn't released any warnings that I'm aware of, however in their case design guidelines for accessory manufacturers, they recommend against using metal or magnets in case designs. I've seen 1 mention that a magnet could affect the camera autofocus mechanism.

There used to be a compass calibration process that you could do with an iPhone that involved holding the phone parallel to the ground and moving it in a figure 8 pattern, but the article describing it is gone from Apple's online knowledgebase. That was 4-5 years ago with the iPhone 3 or 4... I don't recall ever having to do it on an iPhone 5 or 6.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Rick...I have another one like it and the whole goes right under the bridge. My buddy wants me to install and LR Baggs unit on a build I'm doing for him.

Thanks for the info guys. I had a feeling but wasn't familiar with the name. I really appreciate it! Looks like the one I scored had the wires cut. I'll need to see what type of connect I need and then see if I can splice.

6. I_build_my_own

H
    No, yes, and yes :)

7. I_build_my_own

Ghost pickup on posts - small.JPG

Here you can see the 2 elongated holes for the piezo cables. These holes are hitting channels under the top that lead to the bridge pickup cavity.

stained top before blue.jpg

Since I made this one a string through body, I just grounded the 6 string ferrules from the back. With a stop tail you can just ground that through a wire to the body insert/stud.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks, Helmut, that's a lovely guitar, BTW.

9. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Great top on that one!!

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

thats a beautiful top!

11. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hi Rob. I've been re-reading this thread and was wondering if you ever settled on a final answer for these pickups. I just started a new tele build and I'd love to try winding a set of these (neck and bridge).

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Moldy,
    I built one set with standard Tele bobbin heights with A5 in the neck and A4 in the bridge using 45AWG and they sound really good. But the experiment really needed to replicate the Rhythm Chief coil dimensions. The Tele bridge pup is large enough to do this so one prototype was done. A2 mags were used as in the original and I love what it does in my Esquire but it is not 100% of what my Rhythm Chief sounds like. It's still a excellent pup but a little different. Efforts are ongoing when time permits and you all know what that is like. To do an RC for the neck I would have to use bridge-sized flatwork and a custom pickguard and mounting system.
    Rob

13. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Thanks Rob. Not sure I'd be up for a bridge-sized pickup in the neck position, but at the rate I work I'll have some more time to decide. o_O

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a bit of a psychotic R&D pickup! The design is intended to essentially be 3 pickups in 1. The stock tan bobbin is loaded with A2 mags and a 45AWG Goldfoil style wind. The black side is a custom double tall frankenbobbin with A2 mags and a 42AWG Tele style wind. With a 3 way on-on-on switch you have 3 distinct tones. Review to follow from New York state.
    Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. I_build_my_own

Now that's a coooool design!!!

16. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Sure is!

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Hoho, it is Christmas!!!

18. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very intriguing design!

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Genius. I have been wondering what a pickup like this could do for years.

20. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ewe, new York?
    Gnarly pickup!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.