A New Pickup Winder Scratch Build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Barncaster, Jun 24, 2012.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Thanks Rick! Yes that's what I was reading but I didn't quite get the start and finish part for each one. So the start and finish are opposite on each coil. Got it..

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Keep us posted on your project. I, for one, am interested in seeing this come together.

3. RickyRicardo

I will. I want to try and see if I can make something a little better than what I put together for a friend. I posted a thread on a couple of P basses I built this summer both with Fender Original 62's and one of them is fantastic. But the other is a little weak. It's a P/J bass and I've tried everything from different pots and rewiring. I even tried to remagnatize them but no luck. I know my wiring is correct. The J bass pickup is nice and strong but the P pickups are kinda weak. I can't return them so I'll try making some and see what happens.

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ricky,
    I wound some P-bass pups a long time ago that ended up in one of James' (MuzikP) basses. Do a search for a bass thread he started 2+ years ago and you will find the build in detail.
    Rob

5. RickyRicardo

Thanks Rob. I noticed you wound both in the same direction where I've read they should be opposite. Does it matter either way?

6. Barncaster

Hi Ricky,
    Reversing the leads essentially "reverses" the winding direction for the humbucking effect. The pups sound great.
    Rob

7. RickyRicardo

But did you have opposite starts and ends for each coil or did you wind them both identical and just reverse the leads? It looks like you had opposite starts and ends. I need to read up more on humbuckers....

8. Barncaster

Hi Ricky,
    You can either opposite wind the coils or wind them in the same direction and reverse the leads. Both approaches work. As far as what I did exactly on this build, I don't remember.
    Rob

9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

So if you can't do any online shopping at all, you can only buy stuff that you can physically obtain yourself in an actual, physical shop??

But you mention buying stuff from
    USA....how could you do that?

10. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Sorry for the inconvenience, the scenarios for buying things outside boarders is after the end of capital controls.
    We can not even bank transfer money to another country or person, that make things more complicate.

11. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Blimey. That's really difficult! I buy pretty much everything apart from food online. I'd be buggered if I lived in Greece.

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That sounds good Rob.

13. RickyRicardo

Hey Rick, I got them wound. One CW North at about 10.5k winds the other CCW South at about 10k. Resistance is 11.7k which is a touch hotter than the standard 10.5 to 11k range. My question about if the start and finish have to be different I tried doing them both the same and that worked. I thought I had an issue with them or the Jazz pickup as there were some weird volume issues going on and I couldn't get them to play nice with each other. I changed pots and triple checked the wiring. Super frustrating and pretty much unplayable at that point. After a long search yesterday I found out the J pickup was out of phase and reversed the leads. Bingo... They sound great and my friend is super happy with her P/J bass as she got to play it today at rehearsal. Lots learned and if I build another P or P/J bass I'm a lot further ahead. Noticed I said if.... I am not a bass player...

Thanks to Rick and Rob for your help and input.

14. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

Looking through some old threads I'd added to and found this. I wanted to clear up the purpose of the big wheel. I used it to break up the pulse rate for the counter. It also serves as a hand brake and limiter to get started. I can hold the wheel, step on the pedal and let the winder start at a very controlled rate. It has eliminated breaking the wire when starting and stopping. It the best part of the winder in my opinion. It's so easy to control the wind speed. The counter is a magnetic pickup type that uses a target magnet on the wheel and a sensor mounted to the machine. It is accurate to about 1000 rpm. I wind at around 900 when up to speed.

Ok, that updates this year old question.

15. Barncaster

:)

16. Barncaster

Hey Tommy,

Congrats on a cool wonder. I use a DC motor in my winder which makes the start and rpm control fantastic. Big fan of DC for this application.

Rob

17. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

Thanks Rob. Mine was robbed from an old Singer sewing machine. I chose it because it had a foot pedal, was belt driven and it was $15. It was a far simpler build than many I've seen here, especially the counter. I've seen some amazing Rube Goldberg contraptions built to perform a pretty simple function.

18. Barncaster

My posting picture is of Leo's original winder. It had a sewing machine motor and foot pedal. Great minds think alike!

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, I've been absent here a long time.
    Richard, that's great news! I was going to respond about coil winding direction, but Rob filled in with great info. If your winder only works in one direction, no problem you can just wire the leads in reverse. Some purists claim that it makes a difference which lead is deep under the rest of the coil--start--but I kind of doubt that, especially for my old abused ears, I can't hear any difference. But if you want to do it exactly like Leo did, and use PIO caps and all that stuff, well the info's there.

20. RickyRicardo

Hey Rick, I wound in opposite directions, started on the same lead on each bobbin, reversed the lead wires and used a .047 Orange Drop cap. My friend is a very happy camper.. My winder does go both directions. Unlike me that goes all over the map when doing this stuff..:lol:

On another note, I got my P90 parts in. Should be interesting with those narrow bobbins...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.