1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A New Pickup Winder Scratch Build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Barncaster, Jun 24, 2012.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh, my, that is nice, anyone--and very nicely played, too!

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hand made Garolite bobbins, polymer DeArmond style magnets and 45AWG all in a humbucker format. Add Chris' excellent guitar and playing and there you have it!

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Do you have a link to this recipe. Those sound nice.

4. Barncaster

Start at post #2068. :)

5. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Thanks, Rick and Rob.
    Yeah, these might be my favorite pups (of any) at this point, especially with overdrive.

6. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Thanks, man! Yeah, Rob posted the whole deal starting on post #2068.
    Cheers!

7. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Rob can you share some more wisdom? Sorry if the answer is in this thread and I do not remember that.
    A friend has a two humbucker guitar, that was dead quiet until some months ago, suddenly the guitar start to hum and after some days the hum was annoyingly high.
    When he touch the strings the hum fades but only little, that means that the guitar is grounded to the string- tremolo-pickup-ground loop, right? The hum is louder at bridge position, but it exists and at the the other four positions of the switch, isn't it suppose to be dead quiet because it's a humbucker guitar?except the position of the switch that splits the humbuckers?
    Any thoughts? The friend ask me about his problem and I said I will ask the Wizard , so here I am.:lol:

8. R. Stratenstein

Nick, I can help with that. Your friend's guitar has lost the bucker, leaving the hum. It probably fell out in the case, but they're kind of small, so he will have to look carefully. I hope it did not fall out at a gig somewhere, a child might pick it up and swallow it, making the child unable to hum his favorite tune until he outgrows it.

Rob will probably follow up with some mumbo-jumbo about wires and magnets and other nonsense, but we know I'm right. ;):D

EDIT: Some people might think a ground has come loose somewhere in the wiring, or think one of the pots may have gone bad or needs cleaning. Silly. Even sillier, checking the coil splitting switches, because a split coil is a single coil, and naturally noisier and hummier.

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I was actually suspecting Angie ..

10. Barncaster

Hi Nick,

Wizard? LOL. Jester is more appropriate!

Solder joints can go bad. A multimeter might pick up the issue or it might not. You have a gremlin in there. Take all of 10 minutes and reflow all the solder joints from the jack to the pups and everything in between. Don't forget the bridge ground. Let me know what happens.

Rob

11. nickhofen

hahahaha, I am going to use that one day!!!:lol:

12. nickhofen

That was the first though also...:lol:

Nothing,the multimeter shows continuity in between the components, we make the soldering again and the ground wire loop is alive.
    There is always the possibility to have follow a wrong splitting diagram as Rick mention,he has two humbuckers and a five position switch like that.
    The coils are splitted at positions one and four and according to tapping coil method the pickups seems to be humbuckers at the other three positions.:confused:

Attached Files:

13. R. Stratenstein

Hmm. . . Have you checked continuity (ground) from bridge to jack ring, to the bucker's covers--assuming thet have covers-- from the switch frame, pot cans, etc? Tried a different connecting cord, just to be sure, maybe spray clean the pots and switch with contact cleaner. . . Clean the jack's contacts. . . I'm grasping at straws here. I misunderstood what you said about the coil splitting, I thought there were push-pull pots which would mean additional switches which could get dirty or go partially bad, but if the coil split works OK and a shot of contact cleaner doesn't fix it, must be somewhere else.

So it was just a gradual development of the hum, no crackling like a wire came loose, no scratchy pot noises when they're turned. . ? Hmmm. . .

EDIT: just asking to be sure, but has your friend tried the guitar wiith another amp, and at another location, to be sure it's not the amp, or an environmental thing like his neighbor's tin foil hat high voltage test apparatus. Or maybe a new refrigerator, or the heater coming on, or something like that?

14. Barncaster

Weird one. Do the pickups have covers? If so I would check the continuity there. Also, do you have a spare bridge pickup that can be swapped in for a sanity check?

15. nickhofen

Hi Rick, yes we try it at another amp and also at my amp too, the guitar has the ground wiring on and according to multimeter the ground loop to all components is ok. although there is a buzz that gets lighter when we touch the strings.
    I also remade the soldering connections but the buzz is still there.
    :confused:

16. nickhofen

We did that too, as you suggest Rob, the hum is alive,:lol:.
    I begun to believe that the five way switch is wrong connected, the guy wants to have :
    1. Bridge Humbucker
    2. Bridge Single Coil
    3. Bridge and Neck Humbucker
    4. Neck Single Coil
    5. Neck Humbucker.
    Is there a diagram with the five way switch I post above that is confirmed for that pick up wiring?

17. R. Stratenstein

Have you looked at that website that can't be printed here? Let's see if I can get it past the robo censor-- guitar electronics dot com--all run together.:D

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn't know there was an issue with that site... :?:

19. nickhofen

Me neither Rob.
    Thanks Rick, I found something there,I will report when I have news.

20. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.