A new one on old me....

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Despite a few just-too-busy-to-play periods, been at this for 46 years now. Never realized this could be a problem.

Was preparing to record in a very quiet room during a very quiet period in our sometimes-noisy neighborhood. Playing a cowboy G, I heard a low-level metallic rattling. It was on the open D note. Okay, so check all the open notes. Yep, open E and A too, but not anything else.

Fret buzz? Too metallic, almost tinny for that. I held the fretboard up to the light, sideways-wise. Nothing touching. Fretting notes here and there, I could still hear it, and most distinctly when the low E, A, and D were open.

Puzzle's solution: the 1/2 inch extra piece of the low E string, stemming out of the post, which I'd bent under that string--and the A and D--was touching them. A bit of vibration on 'em = the rattle.

Never occurred to me that this could be a source of phantom noises. But, of course, is very obvious. Don't know if I never noticed it before--I can be dumb--or I just lucked out so steadily I never caused this for myself before--I've sometimes been lucky.

Anyway, easily resolved. And maybe helpful to others. Before fretting about frets, check where you've tucked your string ends.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Why were they left that long?
Since I began playing in 1957 I have never seen anyone not clip them off very near the tuner hole.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Why were they left that long?
Since I began playing in 1957 I have never seen anyone not clip them off very near the tuner hole.
Ya got me! My best guess is that I had to change that one string and my youngest son, who's famous for misplacing tools, had scattered all our pliers/wire cutters at the time, and then I just forgot.

But

Attachments

• image-729993.png
    image-729993.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Dylan1963.png
    Dylan1963.png
    312.2 KB · Views: 21