1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Mouse In The Garage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

There is NEVER EVER NEVER "just one" mouse.

Never.

Never ever.

This is a fact, the sky is blue, the world is round and there is never one mouse.

Wobbles, Milspec, stormsedge and 2 others like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

RobRiggs, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  3. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I had one that was pregnant, or maybe two that mated, get in. Started to multiply. I got some tiny plastic havahart traps. Peanut butter for bait. Caught a dozen over a couple weeks. Walked them out in the woods and sent them to live out their retirement in their natural vacation home.

The "last one" I caught a total of four times. First time he went where all the others went a couple hundred feet from the house. Second time across the street and further. Third time he went out in the farm field behind there. The last time, I took him with me on a ride across town and dropped him off in the woods two miles away.

unixfish likes this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have a rickety old house. The mice come in, when it gets cold and wet. I let the cats have them- they need the exercise. ;)

5. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Sometimes it happens and it’s not the end of the world. I’ve had the best luck with snap traps.

Marc Morfei, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  6. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

He'll be back. :eek:

NoTeleBob, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Last year we had a Carolina Wren set up house in one of the condo fire extinguisher boxes. She raised one brood then came back a couple of months later. Unfortunately that brood didn't make it. I'm wondering if it will come back this year

unixfish and Boreas like this.
  8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Never had one mouse in this house; neighbor is chocked full of them. We have a cat, and they have a dog.

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good chance!

stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Could be. A friend took a red squirrel that he caught in his yard (constantly raiding his bird feeders) for a ride 5 miles across town. It showed up at his house again within the week.

They usually come back. I had a robin that nested under my deck on a support beam come back for over a decade, raising new birbs every year.

11. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Went out to the garage earlier this afternoon and found a "tree rat" (squirrel) running around in the rafters. Not really happy about it, but it's going to be around 10 degrees tonight. I'll let the little bugger live a little longer- it warms up again and he's history!

unixfish likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

He has family, and they won't take killing Mr. Mouse lightly.

NoTeleBob and unixfish like this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the middle of dec my kid discovered mouse droppings on the plastic storage bins that had the Christmas ornaments in it, so it begins , usually , the mice come into the garage in the winter time and with the help of a spoon of peanut butter and a few traps are easily dispatched albeit in some grotesque manner , but this was different these were in the house, so after about 5 days , I caught 5 adults and 6 babies , 3 adults were caught in the heat vents (dont ask I dont know) but I got the pregnant femle in the basement with the young ones so i was good .

the point is Mice use feramones to track each other and if you have one you have lots , be vigillant , you have to get the pregnant female , and she breeds every 28 days with 5-7 young each time ,

we have deer mice up in Kamloops these little buggers pack a meriad of deseases and 4 of which are deadly, , My daughter wanted to keep one as a pet so I told her how dangerous these sre , she did not believe dear old Dad until she went on line!

there is a first nations saying that the year that the mice are plentiful the young men die

6.2-Depositphotos_56696227_l-2015-768x640.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

That is my method as well, let him get comfortable with the trap before setting it.

The key to knowing where to place the trap comes from using a black light. A mouse is practically blind so they follow the walls and they mark the path with urine. Other mice will follow those paths as well and along the path there will be a spot where they will stop and observe, they mark it again with a lot of urine. The black light will show the trail and the observation spot...place the trap right there. You not only will get the sucker quickly, but will continue to trap any that come along later to follow that trail.

I used that technique at work where we had a bad infestation. With just a single trap, it killed a mouse every 2 minutes...we almost couldn't empty it fast enough. Final total was 34.

Marc Morfei, unixfish and DADGAD like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

When I live trap squirrels or chipmunks "for a ride"...I go at least five miles and cross a water "hazard". I had "pet" mice as a kid...nasty, invasive little boogers...I end them...no place in a human home for them. Raccoons and skunks caught in the live trap must be ended iaw TWRA---rabies carriers.

NoTeleBob and unixfish like this.
  16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Had one in the house just before Christmas, would not take anything from trap, covered a peanut in terriyaki sauce after reading this type of thing works, set trap and literally within minutes the trap went off and bye bye Mr mouse

Milspec, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  17. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

One mouse? Come to rural New South Wales, we have millions of 'em...

18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A Mouse In The Garage

Actually, that's a pretty great name for a band.

sjwieczorkow, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I find them on my porch, stealing food meant for the squirrels
    143032716_10159632351819644_5877251679864365437_o.jpg

Greggorios, stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.