A mild panic

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Aug 26, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I thank you but I’m far from fearless.
    My Caribbean life has had some serious moments. Lost a house in ‘95 to Marylyn, lost a sailboat in Georges, got hammered in Maria, and still love it here. This rock is my home. I’m just another tele player in paradise

2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

You guys in Florida, all I can say is be prepared, keep your heads up, stay strong for your family & friends and we’ll chat when it’s over
    TDPRI Strong!!’

3. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Looks like the center of the projected path shifted a bit south overnight, now heading almost straight for my little town on the Florida coast....

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Yeah butt buggies for snow are usually filled with beer and liquor.

Milspec likes this.
  5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I flying to Florida to secure my place tomorrow before the storm. Wife and daughters left there Sunday and well ......failed to secure when leaving as they should of.
    Still ticked.

6. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

The Media loves this stuff. "If it bleeds it leads" was the quote in school. They're praying for the worst possible outcome and are going to try to convince you that it's going to happen and you can watch it all unfold live on TV! Got to sell advertising time and keep ratings up! "Money! Money! Money!...Money!...Money!"

7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got a voicemail from The Rolling Stones; the show is moved up one day to tomorrow - Friday the 30th.

So I get to go with no problems:):):):D:D:D:cool:

8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

In laws are in Stuart. Father in Law lives on a house boat and I'm pretty sure my wife's aunt and husband live on a floodplain.

Holding our breath.

oceanblue likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

good luck to everybody in Dorian's path
    dkmw, congrats on getting to see the show

dkmw likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, St. Croix sounds like a mixture of highs and lows.

Much better than Montserrat, I think! :^)

11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

12. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Be safe.
    In California we have Fire and Earthquakes.
    Every day is Earth Day, for everybody everywhere.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. dkmw

Yeah!! Less than 24 hours and The Stones will be rockin'.

Now, by Tuesday I may be homeless:eek::eek::eek:

I know it's real.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm seeing forecasts for Cat 4+. Get ready early, you guys, seems like this will be a rough one somewhere.

15. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Prettier than Montserrat even before the volcano going off
    If I ever get fed up here I’m going to Grenada. Beautiful island and basically out of the hurricane zone. Might even get another sailboat

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

It’s made big news that Darion is now a cat 2. It was a backpage story when it passed us. Obviously we’re too small of a market to get much airtime. Not grousing too much but it would be nice to get recognized as a part of America.
    If I’m bitching too much someone tell me and I will ****

17. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Well, I'm in the direct (latest) path as of 5am NHC advisory/forecast. Models are inaccurate for Florida landfall strength, but... they're sayin' CAT4

I was at Mexico Beach in the panhandle in February, after that nasty storm in November. Those folks were (are) screwed. Was also in Blountstown, FL, and that area is a pineland farming area. Every tree snapped 10 feet off the ground for miles around. Talkin' trees 12-16 inches in diameter. They're outta work for 15 years.....

And so, I'm boardin' up this AM, and hope to ride things out. I know the powers gonna be gone. Maybe water, as the city infrastructure can only handle so much no power conditions. I know the treatment facilities and they basically pump to a facility west of town a few miles, treat it for iron, then pump it to two other treatment plants east of town, and... the up the towers. Lots o' generator/fuel use there, I don't expect it to last. I know land lines and cells will be down.

Which leaves me... ham radio... so I'm taking down most of my main antenna, and hopefully be back on the air right after the winds. Ham radio mostly works on 12vDC which I have available via truck.

Yesterday, the mild panic started. I was in line at Wawa for 20 minutes and noticed the gas station across the street had a steady in/out of cars seeming to pump gas. They're about 30c a gallon more than WaWa... don't know how they stay in biz. But, I broke line, went to that Chevron station, and pumped $2.63 worth... then bone dry. Switched to 89 grade, thinking that they got 93 and 87 and mix at the pump (sneaky of me, trying for 93 at 87 price). Got $0.19 of that, and it quit. Went inside to square up my card (readers down) and came back out and ... those thieves raised the price of the remaining 93 octane from $3.39 a gal (already too high) to $3.69 a gal. I bitched. They said "We have no control, its decided by computer from the head office". So I said, I thought your computers were down? They looked at me with blank stares. And I got the gas, fortunately not much needed.

This AM, I woke at 2, and was out to RaceTrack gas and the lines were moderate, I was 2nd in line, cash only, computers down, but I filled up generator gas and topped off my tank.

Yesterday - I hit Home Depot for Tapcons to board up. Two years ago with Irma (or was it Erma?), you couldn't get a Tapcon to save yer life.... I got there, and got the last frikkin box that hadn't been molested. Box of 75, plus a pack of 25 will do me fine.

<more to come>

18. dkmw

I was able to get fuel easily, somewhat surprised. But I'm going to burn a tank+ going back and forth to Miami for the Stones. I've got 20 gal in cans, and hoping to refill truck on the way home tomorrow.

We got a hotel reservation for the mainland if it looks like we're getting the brunt of it. I live 900 feet from the Atlantic.

Forecast is very muddy after storm gets to the Bahamas. Model runs are all over the place. It'll be Sunday before we really get a good handle on potential eyewall impacts.

Here's the site with the same models the forecasters observe: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

19. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Getting hit certainly didn't help Puerto Rico be seen as part of America.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

At least they were spared the worst of Dorian.

stxrus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.