A local newspaper reporter came by last week

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Mar 17, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

to do an interview and shoot some photos for an article about my guitars for today's paper. I've been involved with these guitars for almost fourteen years, and this is the first time I've been asked to do something like this. I haven't actively sought out local publicity in all that time, and generally stay 'under the radar' about my guitar-related actvities, and considering that I neither build or directly sell 'my' guitars, that shouldn't be a surprise. There is a very good music store in the city, with an extensive selection of popular guitars, but they do not sell my designs, even though I am a 'home town boy'.

I still don't know how they found out about me, but they had contacted Mike Robinson, owner of Eastwood Guitars, up near Toronto, asking him if he had any contact info for me, saying that they had heard that I lived somewhere near Rapid City, but weren't sure. I live thirteen miles from the newspaper's offices.

Anyway, I agreed to do the article, partly because my wife didn't want me to pass by such an easy opportunity to blow my own horn a little about what I've been immersed in for the past decade.

5c8e73b3f2b33.image~2.jpg
    IMG_20190317_160636310.jpg
    They said some things that I wasn't really comfortable with, but to some degree, thats always the case with this sort of thing. I pointed out that the Rockerbox model's profile outline was based on the classic Gibson ES175, but in the copy, they somehow changed my words to 'Les Paul', which are two words I never uttered during the interview.

The photographer came by the house on Friday afternoon, and must have taken 100 pictures, and of course, they ended up using one of the more disturbing shots of me, mostly because my cat sauntered in at one point, sat down and looked at the camera, so that's what appeared on the front page.

In an effort to control the shoot as much as possible, I had pre-arranged the guitars clustering around the couch before the photographer arrived, and for the most part, it worked well.

I absolutely hate having photos taken of me, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow and let things happen, so I didn't fight it, but I don't think I can ever get used to this sort of thing.

2. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You rock, Mr. Backlund. Thanks for your work.

uriah1 and John Backlund like this.
  3. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Great picture and I am sure a great article!

Very nice guitars there!

John Backlund likes this.
  4. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Really nice to capture this exceptional artistry. Your work gives me the same vibe as going into one of the really neat retro diners you can find in some corners of the US.

Congratulations of getting a tad of recognition well deserved!

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Now you have had some publicity you may end up getting some orders for your guitars from local stores, if that's what you want to do of course.

6. John Backlund

We have one local music store, and I frequently visit it, and have probably bought a half-dozen guitars there over the past four years, and will soon again, but they don't ask to sell my guitars there, and I don't ask them to sell my guitars there, so it's just not talked about.

My guitars occupy a niche market, and the last thing I want to see is one of them still hanging on a local store's wall a year after it got there. It's better that the company that has them made, and markets them, sells them directly from their wharehouse to those specifically seeking them.

7. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I see the George Jetson signature model comes in a lefty.

Cool work, bro. Post a video some day and let us know how they sound.

Torren61 and 8barlouie like this.
  8. boop

boop Tele-Meister

I'm glad Willy got in the shot. He just holds it all together

9. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Bel Air with Fins - Copy.jpg

Have you every made one with fins - as in protruding from the plane of the body? :)

8barlouie and John Backlund like this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

11. John Backlund

Not if it's an obvious copy of a vintage car section that's integrated into a guitar body, or is the guitar body. Anybody could do that (and has). it's too 'literal', and in my opinion, lacks much in the way of true creativity and imagination.

TeleTucson likes this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

scrapyardblue likes this.
  13. John Backlund

That list is a bit outdated, Nelson owns three 'Backlund' guitars, two model 100's, one the red/cream guitar in the photo, and another 100 in pearl white. He also has a Backlund Rockerbox semi-Hollow.

My wife and I are going to the UK for nine days in early April, and will likely spend an afternoon with Bill and his wife near York, should be an interesting and fun experience.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

15. John Backlund

We have to be careful about what could be perceived as commercial content in this thread as I don't have vendor status here anymore. It's difficult to talk about my stuff at all here, and kind of a tightrope walk while trying to express myself without appearing to be selling something. Even talking about the recent newspaper experience is a stroll on thin ice in that regard.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The shot looks great, congrats on getting the recognition you and your guitars deserve.:):cool:

17. John Backlund

I can't personally do that, but perhaps others could if it's part of their conversation of a guitar/guitar-related topic.

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Please tell Bill this story. One thing I knew I would never do is get into exercising. I got dumped by a gal and I was lost. Started aerobics classes. Animal aerobics and I did it for a few months and landed on my ankle. It kept me out of class for a couple of weeks. I couldn't see myself getting to the discipline I was before and changed to the life cycle. I got into 45 minutes on it,(the most boring freaking minutes one could have. # things got me through it, one was girls posing for competition,(and I mean knock out girls,hard bodied gorgeous). #2 & #3 were Live at leads and Live in the Air Age. Two of the best live albums ever. I saw the live in the Air Age tour and next to Ziggy, it was one of the finest shows I ever saw. I encourage anyone who does long winded aerobic style work outs, running, life cycle, bike riding. Live in the Air Age is piece one can listen to endlessly. It just give energy,especially for a musician.

And John, we gotta make you more popular.

19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

AliceBowie sure could use one of Johns designs.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I posted a bunch of videos that I found on Youtube.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.