A little older, a little wiser....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kiwi_Neil, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

I have been thinking about whether or not to come back here and post some interesting (to me at least) things that I have found about the whole learning process of guitar ownership and learning to play. Not only care and maintenance but also embarking on my first setup and string selection and the sheer volume of conflicting information 'out there' that made this whole process seem more daunting than it actually needs to be. This setup was for my acoustic, and I'll post about that in the appropriate forum here a bit later on. I've also found a huge amount of learning information 'out there' and 95% of it is the same, and doesn't teach what I want to learn. So that has also been a challenge. More on that later too.

I still have and love my Epiphone acoustic and I also have a second hand (or third hand) Epiphone SG. I work mostly from about 6pm until 3am (from home) so I get to play the acoustic during the day, and the SG (unplugged) at night! So I get lots of practice time and the results of all the effort is very pleasing.

So anyway, I'll post about what I've learned and how I learned it which may be of interest (or not) to other learners who don't want to play the obligatory Brown Eyed Girl or Knockin on Heavens Door etc etc!

Cheers and over and out!

2. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

All the conflicting info' are opinions. Everyone's different, otherwise the world would be a boring place.
    String selection is a personal thing - my trash is someone elses treasure.

Look forward to your opinions and learnt wisdom.

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Actually I was referring to setup measurements (to aim for) for an acoustic guitar that I have seen online from some pretty prominent sources.

String selection certainly IS a personal thing, but I have found some who make recommendations based not on personal experience, but based on theory as to why 'x' strings wouldn't be as good as 'y' strings. It's like someone saying that they don't like carrots, yet they have never eaten any!

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

String theory. I'll take experience over string theory.
    As far as measurements/adjustments, there are standard recommendations, but these I vary to my preferences. Strings (gauge and make) have a major impact on setup, IMHO.
    On my acoustic I have light strings and fairly low action, because I do mainly fingerpicking. If someone were to play it with a heavy stumming or heavy pick action it would sound woeful.

5. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

About six or eight weeks ago I ordered 20 sets of strings, or rather, two sets of 10 different kinds of strings. The idea was to test out a bunch of strings and see what I liked.
    What worked for me was a hybrid set of 9 46's in pure nickel wrap. Before that I played 10's.... Also nickel.
    The reason I got two sets of each kind was so I could test on two different guitars. I think the testing was worthwhile because I feel really at home with the strings I finally settled on.
    I'm purposely not mentioning any names so I don't color your decision.... But tonight I ordered a dozen sets of those strings.

6. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

There's no decision for you to colour because I didn't ask for any advice or help about what strings to select!

As I said in my first post above, I was going to to post (in the appropriate forums) about my experiences and highlighting some aspects where there is so much information 'out there' that it's very difficult to know which is the best way, or in the case of setups, which is the correct way to go about things.

I wasn't asking for any help or advice, I was just outlining what I planned to post about regarding my experiences over the past 3 years. I can see now that this idea is just going to cause issues so I just won't bother.

bcorig likes this.
  7. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Shouldn't cause "issues". It's your opinion. I'm interested to know how often people change their strings on acoustics and electrics.

Kiwi_Neil likes this.
  8. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

:rolleyes:

9. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I'm sorry that wasn't advice. It was "unsolicited commentary statements in affirmation of your post".

10. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Yes, that's what one would think, for sure. Even though I haven't posted for 2 or 3 years I have been lurking from time to time and I see the way *some people* seem to create issues where none exist if they would just put their hands in the pockets for s short while and not hit the keyboard as a reflex action to reading a post!!

So I don't think I'm going to proceed with explaining my experiences as I really don't want to have to defend and/or explain each and every post. I think what I have learned may have been of interest to someone people but that's ok, it's 'no skin off my nose!'

It's a sunny spring lunchtime here, so I'm going to grab my 6 string and go outside with a coffee.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  11. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.