1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A little Monday morning perspective

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Beatles' Please Please Me came out in 1963.

Nirvana's Nevermind came out in 1991, 28 years later.

Nevermind came out 29 years ago.

This came out 25 years ago.

Have a nice week.

Sincerely,
    Whatizitman

stevemc, 68Telebass and Toadtele like this.
  2. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

Ummm... damn I feel old.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm pretty darned sure that the "Classic Rock" station I listen to plays music a lot older relatively, than the "oldies" station my mom listened to when I was growing up.

8trackmind and aging_rocker like this.
  4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Listening to 70's music now is like listening to ragtime in the 50's.

5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is it truly dead? Are all rock radio stations classic rock now?

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Rock n Roll, as we knew it, is indeed dead.
    Hip Hop, electronica, pop rule.

Country music, as we knew it, is also dead, replaced by template driven artists and themes.

Or....that could just be perception because radio doesn’t drive the market anymore. If you don’t stream (and I don’t) you have no way to know what folks are listening to.

I lost interest in contemporary music about 15-20 years ago. I have boomer music tastes but not the boomer mindset.

8trackmind and nojazzhere like this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Just now seeing this thread. It's intended impact didn't really work on me. I was 10 years old when "Please, Please Me" was released. As for Nirvana or Kravitz, I'm barely aware of who they were and couldn't name a single tune. They're young whippersnappers, as far as I'm concerned. :twisted:

What makes me feel old are experiences like the following story.

At a coffee shop where I was performing, a girl came up to me to ask a question. I'm guessing she was about 10 years old, and this was about 10 years ago. So she leaned over to me, and in all sweetness and sincerity, she politely asked...

"Do you know any songs from this century?"

:eek:o_O:lol:

And the worst part was, I had to say "No!" :oops:

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Rock and Roll is not dead. yeesh

9. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

Rock is DEAD! Long live SCISSORS!

SuprHtr, Bassman8, Joshiquad and 2 others like this.
  10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So we have not become the golden oldies generation for airplay on the radio.
    Thank god I was worried there for a while .
    Although I still can't find any stations playing new stuff .
    I will continue to search.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It means nothing to me. But that’s just me

12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Yup- dig me a hole- darn I feel old-
    And....

“Get Off my Lawn”!!!!!

13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

When I began listening to punk in 1978 it was 20 years after the birth of rock n roll, its now42 years since the birth of punk, where did the Years go.? I am still 18 in my head

geoff_in_nc, SuprHtr, wacolo and 2 others like this.
  14. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I am lucky to have lived through a time when some of the best music was made and developed. Brilliant musicians with real song writing. So, where did it all go????????

15. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Holic

So at what age did everyone begin to become musically aware, for lack of a better term? For me I would say a nice round number of 10 which would have been 1981. At that moment I recall thinking of the "oldies" as mostly 1950s (Bill Haley. Fats Domino, etc). Would a 10 year old today would be viewing music of say the early mid 90s in the same way? Maybe or maybe not.

About the only time I would hear current radio is in the car, and I usually have a CD in. The times I have listened, the current rotation of rock and pop sounded a whole lot like what I was hearing 20 years ago when I did listen to radio. And that is not necessarily pointing a finger at the last few crops of performers. There is only so much acreage out there and most of it has been farmed over and over and over. And there were plenty of acts back then that were digging on the past. Stray Cats did the 50s in the 80's. Lenny Kravitz did the 70's in the 90's.

I also believe there is really interesting and quality music being made today. Things have become so fractionalized that you just have to dig a little deeper.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If you can’t find good new music bring being made today, you’re not trying. And if you’re not trying, why are you complaining?
    Here, I’ll give you some help. Black Mountain, Silversun Pickups, Rival Sons
    That should keep you busy for a bit. Those bands are every bit as good as what you were listening to “back in MY day”.
    Every decade has had some REALLY good bands and if you missed them, well, that’s you’re own damn fault.

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

even amidst the terrible goings on at the moment - and if you don't think some of this stuff is terrible, you are a soulless troll (IMHO), even all that said, there's still good stuff happening. Right now. Actual musicians making all kind of good stuff happen and you don't even have to try to pigeonhole it.

Plus, even better, you can make your own good stuff. I'm pretty sure most of you are well equipped, at least, to do just that.

go. do. be. here. now.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Here are some more bands for you to discover:

Thee Oh Sees
    The Weather Station
    Broken Bells
    Arctic Monkeys
    Gary Clark, Jr
    Temples
    Larkin Poe
    Bells Atlas
    Chet Faker
    Aesop Rock

We are living in a Golden Age for music at all levels. We have the best guitars and amps and sims and pedals and the best ways to record music. You can, if you dare, look for original music on so many platforms. Regular people are putting music out there that's really good. We're not being spoon fed what "they" want us to hear. We can get our own music out there and if you push it, people will hear it. YouTube, SoundCloud will get you exposure. For the first time, we can record our own music in our own homes and have it sound as good or nearly as good as any studio could do.

Don't let this pass you by. Get out there and explore. Go buy a used Mac and learn how to record a track on Garage Band. Or don't.

stevemc and teletimetx like this.
  19. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Genres aren't too important anymore. The tribes and barriers they created are not defined and no longer have much of a purpose.

We have the opportunity to be just people and to find enjoyment and stimulation through music. The uniforms may not matter and the genres and plastic barriers calling one song this or another song that... no longer help organize a retail store... now we just get to hear the music and after a weekend in the mtns working away and having fun and cooking and playing horseshoes and laughing while listening to music by a HUGE array of artists, music is still very much alive and very important to my life and to my family's life. We had relatives up and they had shazam out all weekend... and kept saying 'wow, that is a great song!'

Lately, I have been digging James Carr who I missed when I was young... man what great music!

My brother who is a 'get off my lawn' guy, said while my wife had a bunch of old disco and r&b on while we were cleaning up, said, 'I hated some of these songs when I was young, now, I like them.'

Genres limit us... let them go and listen to the music and the world is full of wonderful things!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.